24/7 Substance Abuse Hotlines in California: Free Addiction Treatment Helplines
- Access to licensed treatment centers
- Information on treatment plans
- Financial assistance options
California Alcohol And Drug Addiction & Abuse Hotline Numbers
As a state with a large number of alcohol and drug addiction treatment facilities which accommodate the needs of treatment-seeking residents from California and out-of-state visitors, California has a large number of specialized alcohol and drug addiction and abuse facilities and hotline numbers on the same mission.1 This is in addition to numerous nationwide helplines, many of which are toll-free and available round the clock.2
Hotlines are designed to provide information to individuals who want to discuss their issues and options with a knowledgeable individual in absolute privacy. In fact, California was the first state to establish a specialized hotline for suicide prevention in 1959, in San Francisco.3
Other hotlines designed to assist other vulnerable target groups soon followed suit. Different hotlines in California and nationwide offer assistance and support to thousands of individuals in the grip of substance abuse.1
CA Addiction Services Hotlines: What Do They Entail?
California has a serious problem with various manifestations of the substance use disorder.4 Helplines can be the first step toward recovery. Treatment-seeking individuals can call a helpline any time of day or night to obtain the private, confidential assistance they need, as knowledgeable professionals are available to provide insight into treatment options and up-to-date information on the associated costs.5
Different individuals across the state of California have different needs depending on their severity, duration, and pattern of substance abuse and susceptibility to relapses, but they all have one thing in common: they need immediate assistance and support to find and start treatment.
Hotlines in CA provide information on addiction treatment services based on the specific situation a person is in, depending on their age group, type, and pattern of substance abuse, history of substance abuse, and relapse/overdose.6
Out of 1,311 rehab facilities in California that took part in the 2017 National Survey on Substance Abuse Treatment Services, 699 were private non-profit, 443 were private for-profit ones, 110 were funded by the local, county or community government, and 5 were funded by the state. The remaining ones, 33 in total, were facilities funded and operated by the federal government. All these facilities offer outpatient care, residential non-hospital care, and hospital inpatient care.1
Important Questions to Ask When Calling a CA Helpline
Many people battling addiction and their loved ones turn to hotlines as a reliable source of information. Although calling a hotline is nothing to be intimidated by, it can help to prepare a list of questions to ask the hotline representative. Here are a few example questions to ask:7
- Do I need to go to inpatient rehab?
- When should I start rehab?
- What do I need to start rehab?
- What treatment options are there?
- Are there treatment centers near my home/work and how do I get in?
- How long does addiction treatment last?
- What is the average cost of substance abuse treatment?
- Will my insurance cover drug treatment and to what extent?
- What happens if I cannot afford treatment?
- Are there rehab programs that are free-of-charge?
Is It Possible to Make a Call to a Hotline Number for Someone Else?
Hotlines do not discriminate against anyone. Individuals can call hotlines to inquire about treatment and recovery for themselves, or they can do it on behalf of another person, be it a loved one, a family member, a friend or a mere acquaintance.7
Is There the Right Time to Call a CA Substance Abuse Hotline?
Alcohol and drug addiction does not happen overnight. These patterns of behavior develop over time and they inevitably begin to cause lasting damage which may eventually become irreversible. It’s important to take action before that happens.8
In addition to taking a toll on a person’s health, substance abuse becomes a person’s primary purpose in life and has an effect on their interpersonal relationships, family, academic performance, career, and all other aspects of life.8
It’s therefore important for individuals contemplating treatment to be able to reach out to an objective, non-judgemental advisor as soon as possible. Trained operators can provide information on resources, rehab centers and treatment options and help users make meaningful connections with professionals specializing in addiction treatment.8
Are Substance Abuse Hotlines in California Free & Confidential?
Hotlines are envisioned as a helpful free and confidential resource that any individual can freely access if and as needed. Each conversation is held in absolute anonymity and privacy.9
What Can I Expect to Happen When Calling a CA Helpline?
Talking to a trained helpline representative can be immensely helpful, especially for individuals struggling with substance abuse who feel they have no one else to turn to. For anyone who is not certain about what to expect from rehab or even that first call, here are a few questions the representative might ask for the purpose of assessing the severity of the situation and recommending treatment options:8
- Are you currently in a state of crisis?
- Do you feel that your life is in danger?
- How long have you been battling addiction?
- How many substances do you use?
- Do you have co-occurring mental health problems?
- Are you motivated to seek treatment?
- Questions about age and location, personal details and insurance information
An Overview of the Available Resources & Hotline Numbers in California
Many addiction assistance and support hotlines are available 24/7, ready to offer on-on-one guidance and support, up-to-date information and other helpful resources to those struggling with substance abuse. Some nationwide and CA-based addiction resources and helplines include:
- The National Institute on Drug Abuse.10
- SAMHSA: 800-662-HELP (4357), whereas SAMHSA Treatment Locator helps individuals locate rehab centers in their area.11
- It’s Up to Us: 888-724-7240.12
- The Department of Health Care Services (DHCS)’s Medi-Nurse Line: 877-409-9052.13
- (DHCS) California for anyone looking to apply for Medi-Cal health coverage or the associated Drug Medi-Cal.14-15
- San Mateo County Health Substance Use Treatment Services toll-free 24/7 hotline: 800-686-0101.16
- Alcoholics Anonymous 24-Hour Hotline for CA: 209-339-1201.17
- Cocaine Anonymous Los Angeles (which caters to all individuals with substance abuse) 24-hour hotline: 888-714-8341.18
- Riverside County Substance Abuse Program: 24-hour Detox Referral Line: 951-955-2100.19
- Substance Use Community Access, Referral, Evaluation, and Support CARES Line: 800-499-3008 (toll-free).20
- LA County Substance Abuse Hotline: 844-804-7500.21
- El Dorado County Behavioral Health: Substance Use Disorder Services. Number to call during business hours: 530-621-6290; 24/7 Substance Use Treatment Access Line: 1-800-929-1955.22
- Santa Barbara California: Basic Need Resources.23
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration: National Helpline.
- American Addiction Centers offers a free helpline number available nationwide any time of the day or week .
What Are Different Ways to Find a Rehab Facility in CA?
Millions of people nationwide battle substance abuse in some form. Sometimes a simple phone call can mean the difference between life and death, or between recovery and overdose. What matters is that help is available and that it’s often easily accessible nearby. California’s many inpatient drug rehab facilities can accommodate the needs of treatment-seeking individuals.1
Treatment-seeking individuals are free to call American Addiction Centers to get the information they need, no strings attached. Laguna Treatment Hospital is among the best treatment centres in California in terms of the comprehensive care and high level of comfort recovering individuals receive at the facility. This facility also offers flexible payment options to patients. There is also a convenient locator to use to find nearby drug rehab options.
Another way to learn more about viable treatment options to get in touch with one’s insurance provider so they can offer information on treatment centers in their network.5 Finally, there are always helpful online testimonials which can help treatment-seeking individuals get a better idea of what a rehab facility has to offer.
Frequently Asked Questions