Luxury Drug & Alcohol Treatment Centers
A rehabilitation program can vary greatly based upon an individual’s needs. Programs can range from inpatient to outpatient, and can be either short and intensive or long-term. These programs help people overcome addiction and associated behaviors after they have gone through an appropriate, medically supervised detox program, often by providing access to individual and group therapy that uses evidence-based practices.
There are many free, low-cost, sliding scale, and otherwise affordable rehabilitation programs that offer accommodation, food, medical care, and therapy at rates that are appropriate for people in different economic brackets. However, many upscale rehabilitation programs are considered luxury drug treatment centers because they offer various amenities that can help reduce stress and improve quality of life.
In addition to offering high-quality treatment, these luxury centers often offer a wide range of accommodations and benefits that can help the patients remain engaged in treatment for longer and achieve better results.1
What Is Luxury Addiction Treatment and Rehabilitation?
The term luxury implies that, of course, this kind of accommodation will be more expensive than other treatment options for substance abuse. However, access to complementary and alternative treatment programs or a far-away setting can benefit some people who need a drastic change from their previous daily routines in which they struggled with substance abuse.
Just like all other drug treatment centers, luxury facilities should rely on evidence-based methods and techniques. The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) recommends the following practices for effective substance abuse treatment:2
- Substance abuse is a complex, chronic brain disease that alters the structure of the brain itself.
- No single treatment is appropriate for everyone.
- Treatment must be readily available.
- Effective treatment attends to multiple needs, including emotional, spiritual, and physical needs.
- Remaining in a treatment program for at least 90 days (three months) is important.
- Individual, group, and family behavioral therapies are the core of a good rehabilitation program.
- Medication-assisted detox is vital where it is applicable, like for opioid abuse.
- An individual’s treatment plan and services should be evaluated and modified regularly.
- It is important to diagnose underlying mental health issues.
- Medically assisted detox is only the first stage in a long-term recovery process.
- Treatment does not need to be voluntary in order to be effective.
- Drug screenings during treatment are important, as individuals are susceptible to relapse.
- Programs must test new clients for diseases like HIV, hepatitis B, and C, tuberculosis, and other conditions contracted through drug abuse.
The foundation of substance abuse treatment involves access to medications like buprenorphine, access to evidence-based therapy such as cognitive-behavioral therapy, and social support in the form of groups and family therapy. Whether these are part of an outpatient treatment program or a long-term residential program greatly depends on the individual’s needs.
In addition to medical treatment, luxury drug and alcohol treatment centers tend to offer complementary therapies and amenities like meditation or nutritional therapy can be very beneficial. This is usually considered to be one of the main benefits of luxury rehab centers.2
Essentially, exotic locations, expansive amenities, hotel-like accommodation, and extensive staff help and supervision are markers of a luxury rehabilitation center. These facilities are also rarely covered by insurance or state subsidies because the amenities offered are not considered vital. However, certain services, such as individual therapy, may be covered. Either way, these amenities and accommodations can help encourage patients to remain in treatment for longer periods of time, increasing their chances of successful recovery.
What Else Do Luxury Rehab Facilities Bring?
- Confidentiality and heightened privacy.
- Natural or organic products, like soaps or food items.
- A wide range of complementary and alternative therapies.
- Access to spiritual leaders, gurus, and more, in addition to traditional therapists and counselors.
- Concierge services like those offered in a hotel.
- Spa treatments.
- Fine dining, including gourmet chefs and personalized meals for specific dietary restrictions.
- Salon services.
- Pools or beachside views.
Like a vacation resort, luxury recovery centers are intended to be inpatient, with clients staying for several weeks or months at a time.3
What Is Included In a Luxury Rehab?
Each luxury addiction treatment center offers different services, but some may include a personal assistant rather than a case manager. Luxury addiction facilities also offer various amenities, and oftentimes make their location a selling-point.
However, the main appeal of luxury drug and alcohol treatment facilities, for many, are complementary and alternative treatments as well as a wider access to high-quality, nutritious meals. These include exercise and meditation options, including the following:4
- Guided meditation
- Tai chi
- Animal therapy, including work with horses
- Virtual reality therapies
- Art therapy
- Movement therapies, including dance therapy
- Massage therapy
- Chiropractic and spinal manipulation
As NIDA points out, no single treatment will be effective for everyone. Having access to some alternative and complementary medical practices, especially if these complement the individual’s own spiritual, religious, or moral beliefs, can reinforce behavioral therapy and give the person comfort while they make drastic changes to their life by ending addiction.4
The Importance of Nutrition
Nutrition is becoming one of the most important focuses of substance abuse treatment, and access to guidance, cooking classes, and coaching for a healthier diet is gaining traction within traditional rehabilitation programs. Drug and alcohol abuse can cause extensive damage to the bodies of people who struggle with it, including their digestive system, liver, kidneys, heart, and brain. Vitamin and mineral deficiencies may cause chronic health problems later in life.
Creating individual, balanced meals, learning healthy grocery shopping habits, and understanding how to read nutritional labels are all ways that a person recovering from substance abuse can add minerals, protein, fiber, and vitamins back into their diet. The immune system and gut ecosystem are improved, the person begins to feel better, and they can focus on their long-term recovery when they graduate from the rehabilitation program.
In luxury drug treatment centers, the possibility of malnutrition due to substance abuse is considered, and the person receives meals based on their needs. While this does not teach the person practical aspects of eating healthy foods when they leave, access to better, organic foods while they begin rehabilitation can make a significant difference in overall health.5
The Importance of Exercise
Access to exercise programs, low-impact exercises like tai chi and yoga, and a personal trainer are available at various luxury drug treatment centers. Exercise can strengthen the body, release endorphins and adjust the brain’s reward circuitry works.
This can heal both the body and the brain together. More traditional rehabilitation programs are discussing the medical value of exercise for long-term health in relation to overcoming substance abuse.5
How to Pay for Luxury Rehab
The total cost of a luxury drug treatment center, starting with detox and continuing through long-term recovery, is not likely to be covered by insurance. Some of these facilities may offer payment plans to make programs more accessible, but the overall cost is still often quite high.
It is expected that people entering these programs will have personal access to finances through relatives, loans, or their own employment. Some insurance may be accepted, but it may not cover the cost of all the services provided by a luxury program.
Still, for those who need to be far away from their current home or who would benefit more from access to complementary treatment programs, a luxury drug and alcohol treatment center that takes insurance or offers a payment plan may be worth the additional cost. Again, everyone has diverse needs when it comes to addiction treatment, and for many, luxury drug treatment centers are the best option. However, it is usually advisable for individuals to discuss with a doctor or a medical professional which facility would be best for them.
Frequently Asked Questions
Luxury treatment centers tend to be located in beautiful environments and offer more perks than the regular ones. They also offer different activities, such as:
- Sports activities (swimming, tennis, riding, etc.).
- Gym and other fitness programs.
- Yoga and meditation.
- Room service.
- Fine dining.
However, the final choice should depend on the treatment options and methods provided at a particular recovery center.
- Treatment options might be the same, but it all depends on a particular treatment center. Luxury addiction treatment centers are more likely to provide alternative or comprehensive treatment solutions. These additional types of therapy may help a client to concentrate better, restore the body, and establish new behavioral habits that minimize the likelihood of relapse.6
- Luxury treatment might be more effective since it offers many amenities and additional therapies. In general, clients show their best behavior when they are continuously enrolled in the treatment and kept occupied. There are significant disparities in efficacy across programs, which tend to be due to the varying quality of clinical management and competence. There is also variation in the characteristics of those being treated, such as the severity of their admission issues.7
- The treatment is anonymous and it focuses on confidentiality between the professionals and the patients.
- It is important to determine one’s needs prior to seeking treatment. By going through different resources and exploring websites, it is possible to see different centers’ amenities. The research should help you find the best option for yourself or your loved one.
1. The Fix. What is luxury rehab like?
2. National Institute On Drug Abuse. (2018). Principles of Drug Addiction Treatment: A Research-Based Guide (Third Edition): Principles of Effective Treatment.
3. The Fix. (2015). Ever wondered what amenities you get in a luxury drug rehab?
4. The Fix. (2014). 13 Valuable Holistic Treatments for Addiction.
5. The Fix. (2014). Nutrition and Addiction Recovery: How Healthy Eating Can Help You Stay Sober.
6. National Institute On Drug Abuse. (2018). Principles of Drug Addiction Treatment: A Research-Based Guide (Third Edition): Types of Treatment Programs.
7. The National Academy of Sciences. (1990). Treating Drug Problems: Volume 1: A Study of the Evolution, Effectiveness, and Financing of Public and Private Drug Treatment Systems.