What Level of Care Is Provided at a Luxury Drug Treatment Center?
A rehabilitation program can be inpatient, outpatient, long-term, or short and intensive. These programs help people overcome addiction and associated behaviors after they have gone through an appropriate, medically supervised detox program, often by providing access to individual and group therapy that uses evidence-based practices. There are many free, low-cost, sliding scale, and otherwise affordable rehabilitation programs that offer accommodations, food, medical care, and therapy at rates that are appropriate for people in different economic brackets. However, many upscale rehabilitation programs are considered luxury drug treatment centers because they offer various amenities that can help reduce stress and improve quality of life.
What Is Luxury Drug Treatment and Rehabilitation?
The term luxury implies that, of course, these accommodations will be more expensive than other treatment options. However, access to complementary and alternative treatments or a far-away setting can benefit some people who need a drastic change from their previous daily routine in which they struggled with substance abuse.
The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) recommends these evidence-based practices for effective substance abuse treatment:
- Addiction is a complex, chronic brain disease that alters the structure of the brain itself.
- No single treatment is appropriate for everyone.
- Treatment must be readily available.
- Effective treatment attends to multiple needs, including emotional, spiritual, and physical needs.
- Remaining in a treatment program for at least 90 days (three months) is important.
- Individual, group, and family behavioral therapies are the core of a good rehabilitation program.
- Medication-assisted detox is vital where it is applicable, like for opioid addiction.
- An individual’s treatment plan and services should be evaluated and modified regularly.
- It is important to diagnose underlying mental health issues.
- Medically assisted detox is only the first stage in a long-term recovery process.
- Treatment does not need to be voluntary to work.
- Drug screenings during treatment are important, as individuals are susceptible to relapse.
- Programs must test new clients for diseases like HIV, hepatitis B and C, tuberculosis, and other conditions contracted through drug abuse.
The foundation of addiction treatment involves access to medications like buprenorphine, access to evidence-based therapy like Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, and social support in the form of groups and family therapy. Whether these are part of an outpatient program or a long-term residential program greatly depends on the individual’s needs. Additionally, other complementary therapies like meditation or nutritional therapy can be very beneficial; however, these amenities are not often offered outside of luxury residential drug treatment centers.
Essentially, exotic locations, expansive amenities, hotel-like accommodations, and extensive staff help and supervision are markers of a luxury rehabilitation center. These facilities are also rarely covered by insurance or state subsidies because the amenities offered are not considered vital; however, certain services, such as individual therapy, may be covered.
- Confidentiality and heightened privacy
- Natural or organic products, like soaps or food items
- A wide range of complementary and alternative therapies
- Access to spiritual leaders, gurus, and more in addition to traditional therapists and counselors
- Concierge services like those offered in a hotel
- Spa treatments
- Fine dining, including gourmet chefs and personalized meals for specific dietary restrictions
- Salon services
- Pools or beachside views
Like a vacation resort, luxury drug treatment centers are intended to be inpatient, with clients staying for several weeks or months at a time.
What Is Included with Luxury Rehab?
Each luxury drug treatment center offers different services, but some may include a personal assistant rather than a case manager; a warm, saltwater pool and hot tub; and a beautiful island or mountaintop location. However, the main appeal of luxury drug treatment, for many, is wider access to high-quality, nutritious meals, and complementary and alternative treatments. These include exercise and meditation options, including:
- Guided meditation
- Tai chi
- Animal therapy, including work with horses
- Virtual reality therapies
- Art therapy
- Movement therapies, including dance therapy
- Massage therapy
- Chiropractic and spinal manipulation
As NIDA points out, no single treatment will be effective for everyone. Having access to some alternative and complementary medical practices, especially if these complement the individual’s own spiritual, religious, or moral beliefs, can reinforce behavioral therapy and give the person comfort while they make drastic changes to their life by ending addiction.
Nutrition is becoming one of the most important focuses of addiction treatment, and access to guidance, cooking classes, and coaching for a healthier diet is gaining traction within traditional rehabilitation programs. People who struggle with addiction to drugs and alcohol can cause extensive damage to their bodies, including their digestive system, liver, kidneys, heart, and brain. Vitamin and mineral deficiencies may cause chronic health problems later in life. Creating individual, balanced meals; learning healthy grocery shopping habits; and understanding how to read nutritional labels are all ways that a person recovering from substance abuse can add minerals, protein, fiber, and vitamins back into their diet. The immune system and gut ecosystem are improved, the person begins to feel better, and they have a focus for their long-term recovery when they graduate from the rehabilitation program.
In luxury drug treatment centers, the possibility of malnutrition due to substance abuse is considered, and the person receives meals based on their needs. While this does not teach the person practical aspects of eating healthy foods when they leave, access to better, organic foods while they begin rehabilitation can make a significant difference in overall health.
Access to exercise programs, low-impact exercises like tai chi and yoga, and a personal trainer are all available at various luxury drug treatment centers. Exercise can strengthen the body, which has often been neglected while the person struggled with addiction, and it also releases endorphins and adjusts how the brain’s reward circuitry works. This can help heal both the body and the brain together. More traditional rehabilitation programs are discussing the medical value of exercise for long-term health in relation to overcoming addiction.
How to Pay for Luxury Rehab
Of course, the total cost of a luxury drug treatment center, starting with detox and continuing through long-term recovery, is not likely to be covered by insurance. Some of these facilities may offer payment plans to make programs more accessible, but the overall cost is still often quite high. It is expected that people entering these programs will have personal access to finances through relatives, loans, or their own employment. Some insurance may be accepted, but it will not cover the cost of all the services provided by a luxury program.
Still, for those who need to be far away from their current home or who would benefit more from access to complementary treatments, a luxury drug treatment center that takes insurance or offers a payment plan is worth the additional cost. Again, everyone has diverse needs when it comes to addiction treatment, and for many, luxury drug treatment centers are the best option.
Let’s verify your coverage for treatment at an American Addiction Centers location. Your information is always confidential.