How to Find the Best Drug & Alcohol Rehab Near Me
Find the Best Alcohol and Drug Rehab Centers in the United States
The perception of addictive behavior as something that could and should be treated originated from the early temperance movement of the 19th-century. Their goal was complete abstinence from alcohol since its excessive use in the late 18th and early 19th centuries presented a serious public health problem.1 This is how the first ‘rehab centers’ in the U.S., so-called “sober houses”, were opened.2
With the advance of medical science, addiction treatment was transferred to more clinical settings. During the 1980s, the number of private residential treatment facilities started to rise as rehab centers branched off from their psychiatric foundations.3
The success and popularity of programs like AA, during the 20th century, made it clear that treatment programs were a viable solution to the nation’s substance abuse problems. In 1987, the American Medical Association passed legislation identifying alcoholism as a disease that merited the serious concern of all health professions.2
It took a while before these kinds of experiences could be discussed openly, but as more and more people started seeking help, the role of rehab centers was finally accepted as a necessary element of society. In 1992, The Center for Substance Abuse Treatment was created to expand the availability of addiction treatment.4
The best alcohol and drug rehab centers that follow the highest standards of medical and psychological care are now available in many locations across the United States. In fact, 14,809 substance abuse treatment centers were included in the 2018 National Survey of Substance Abuse Services. About 94.1% of all included rehab facilities were accredited by some kind of federal, state, or local agency or national organization. Additionally, 82.7% (12.243) of all rehab centers were outpatient, 23.6% (3.500) residential in a non-hospital setting (both short-term and long-term), while 5.3% (785) provided hospital inpatient treatment and detoxification.5
Levels of Care at the Best Alcohol and Drug Rehab Treatment Centers
Even though there’s a significant number of licensed, top-rated rehab centers in the U.S., the level of care they provide might be slightly or even significantly different in some areas. However, a great number of treatment centers offer the following services:
- Residential treatment is the type of rehabilitation where patients live at the addiction treatment facility 24/7. This kind of treatment can be short-term or long-term, lasting from 3 weeks to a year or more. They’re usually organized into separate phases of treatment, with different expectations and activities during each phase. These are best for people who don’t have stable living or employment conditions or those without a support system from family or friends. Residential treatment may also be the best option for those with serious SUDs, or those unable to get and stay sober in other types of treatment.6
- Detox services and medical detox consist of interventions aimed at managing acute intoxication and withdrawal. Medically supervised withdrawal (detoxification/detox) uses medication to help patients going through withdrawal symptoms since these can be so severe that people can have hallucinations, convulsions, or develop other dangerous conditions. Medication can help prevent or treat such conditions. It may take a few days to a week, or more.6
- Outpatient services as opposed to inpatient rehab programs provide treatment at a program location, while the patient lives elsewhere (usually at home). Evenings or weekend meetings allow patients to go to school or work. Some of the programs require daily attendance; others meet a few times per week. People who benefit the most from this type of treatment are those willing to attend counseling sessions regularly, have the support of friends and/or family, and have a place to live.6
- Behavioral therapies are the most commonly used form of drug abuse treatment. They can include individual, family, group counseling, or therapy options for couples dealing with addiction. Behavioral therapies can focus on different elements of recovery such as motivation to change, incentives to remain abstinent, building skills to resist alcohol or drug use, developing constructive and rewarding activities to replace the maladaptive ones, improving problem-solving skills, and developing better interpersonalrelationships. Participation in group therapy and other peer support programs can also help maintain abstinence.7Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) helps patients learn to recognize situations and triggers that lead to their drug or alcohol use. It requires a trusting relationship with the therapist so patients can acknowledge their feelings, situations, and behaviors, and focus on current problems and situations to prevent relapse.8
- Aftercare is the treatment prescribed after completion of inpatient or outpatient drug or alcohol rehab. It can involve participation in individual or group counseling, regular meetings with a counselor, or other activities designed to help patients stay in recovery. The longer someone stays in treatment, including follow-up, the more likely they are to stay in recovery. After the basic treatment, a program may offer an aftercare care program at the treatment facility or refer the patient to another site. It’s usually recommended to stay in the aftercare program for at least a year. Adolescents sometimes need a longer period of aftercare.9When patients return to their everyday lives, they can experience many temptations and cravings. A lot of people fighting SUDs experience cycles of abstinence and relapse. Continuing care interventions aim to disrupt this cycle. Medical services and medication management are also important elements of aftercare.8
- Sober houses. Some people, particularly those leaving residential treatment or prison-based programs, can benefit a lot from more intensive forms of follow-up care. Halfway houses or sober houses are alcohol and drug-free places where people can usually stay from 3 months to a year, and even have counseling provided at the site or an outpatient facility. They usually live in small group homes where the residents can support one another.9
- Relapse prevention tools. Since addiction is a chronic illness with periods of sobriety and relapse, people recovering from different types of addiction frequently experience it as an almost inevitable part of the recovery process. Most common relapse prevention strategies include therapy and skill development, medications, and monitoring, as well as a variety of peer support programs. Frequent relapses may hinder progress in overcoming their addiction. It is believed that sustained abstinence allows enough time for the brain to resume its normal functioning so individuals can achieve long-term success.10
Amenities Offered at the Best Inpatient Drug and Alcohol Rehab Centers
The best alcohol treatment centers or drug rehab facilities may be public or private, and different centers offer a wide range of treatment options and amenities. Public rehabs are open to everyone, regardless of financial situation, and will most likely have long waiting lists.11
Top-rated treatment in private facilities provides the highest level of care with a rich variety of choices and amenities like:
- Clean, sometimes very luxurious private rooms.
- Swimming pools and spas.
- Gyms or exercise areas.
- Balanced nutrition and personalized diets.
Since a lot of patients also suffer from mental health issues (usually anxiety or depression), those need to be addressed too as part of the healing process. Educating patients about their disease, helping them develop coping mechanisms, and change damaging thought patterns and behaviors are important elements of treatment.8
Top-rated modern treatment programs are moving toward more integrative models that have shown better success rates. Some will focus on nutrition, exercise, relaxation, meditation, creativity, some will apply Chinese alternative medicine and herbs, yoga, acupuncture, spirituality.8
- Mindfulness meditation and yoga provide both physical exercise and relaxation. They’ve been shown to reduce stress, depression, and anxiety, increase well-being, produce and improve self-esteem.8
- Therapies such as equine programs. Including animals in therapy sessions can have a calming effect on patients, helping many of them feel more involved in treatment. Animals can help people relax and minimize stress. As stated by the American Counseling Association, this might help attract withdrawn or non-communicative patients into the therapeutic process. They also provide activities that distract patients from cravings and triggers.12
- Creative therapies that include art and music allow clients to express their feelings through art. Some find it difficult to express themselves verbally so the creative process helps with this.8
- Acupuncture & chiropractic care may be another part of treating substance abuse. Acupuncture has been used in Eastern countries for thousands of years and is becoming accepted and more popular in Western countries. Acupuncture can be an effective treatment option that aids in the stimulation of endorphins and helps regulate pain and emotions.8
Therapeutic massage has also shown its effectiveness in promoting blood and lymphatic circulation, increasing relaxation and endorphins, releasing muscle spasms, and decreasing pain. Massages can reduce blood pressure and anxiety.8
What to Bring to the Top-rated Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab Treatment Center?
Most rehabs have strict policies about what you can bring with you to treatment. They will usually provide you with a recommended packing list as well as a list of prohibited items.
During the admission, your center’s admissions team will inspect your bags to make sure that no prohibited items are brought in. If you’re not sure about what to bring or have any questions regarding the admission and treatment, you can check your chosen center’s website for a “What to Bring” page. Some centers have printable packing checklists that you can use.13
Each rehab’s policies are different and some are stricter than others. It’s usually recommended to bring the following:14
- A list of names, addresses, and phone numbers of those you want to be involved in your treatment.
- Only the jewelry that you wear every day, like your wedding ring or a watch. Jewelry and valuable items are usually prohibited.
- Prescription medication in the original bottle with the information label.
- A small amount of cash.
- Your checkbook, or credit/debit card.
- Your insurance cards and ID.
- A notebook or journal.
- The rehab center will provide reading materials but if you want to bring your own, they’re usually required to be recovery, self-help, or spiritually oriented.
Most centers have a strict dress code, so pay attention to any restrictions when packing. You should bring comfortable, weather-appropriate clothing. If you’re unsure about how to pack for the weather, choose layering options, like T-shirts, sweaters, cardigans, and jackets. You will most likely have access to a laundry machine, so a week’s worth of clothing should be enough. Most rehabs require all toiletries and beauty products to be completely alcohol-free.
What Items Are Not Allowed in a Top-rated Inpatient Drug Rehab Program?
All rehabs prohibit certain items and some have very strict rules. This is to ensure your safety and create the optimal environment for your recovery. The following items are typically banned:
- Drugs and alcohol
- Narcotics or prohibited prescriptions
- Unapproved or previously opened OTC medications
- Weapons (guns, knives, scissors, sharp objects)
- Food or drinks
- Revealing clothing
- Electronics (televisions, gaming consoles, video games, and DVDs)
- Games and playing cards
- Clothing with profanity or references to drugs, alcohol, or violence
Some of the items on this list are prohibited to help you avoid distractions and allow you to focus on your recovery. Your center will have items like these available to you during certain times. Outside food and drinks are banned because most centers have a moderate sugar and caffeine environment. If you have special dietary needs, you should notify your treatment center before admission.
How to Choose the Best and Top-rated Drug Rehabilitation Treatment Centers Near Me?
There are resources to help with the process of finding the right treatment center for you or a loved one. For example, NIDA’s handbook Seeking Drug Abuse Treatment: Know What to Ask offers guidance in finding the right treatment program. Numerous online resources can help find a local program or provide other information about the most important factors you should consider.7
- Location. You can choose a top-rated rehab center near you or opt for an out-of-state facility. Staying close to home, your family, and friends can have a positive influence on your recovery if you have a strong support system and good relationships.8 However, if you discover that the best drug or top-rated alcohol treatment for you is located far away, or wish to remove yourself from your usual environment, then that might be a better option for you.15, 16
- Staff certifications. Find out if the facility you’re considering is licensed since the best drug and top-rated alcohol rehab centers are staffed with experienced medical professionals, and certified by relevant federal authorities, such as SAMHSA and The Joint Commission. Such rehab centers offer effective, evidence-based treatments, and you can also check for other people’s experiences.17
- Daily schedule. Check if the facility’s daily schedule suits you. Some people might enjoy a lot of activities and interaction with other patients to keep them occupied, while others prefer a peaceful environment with less contact with other patients. Remember that different facilities have different rules and that some are very strict while others are a lot more flexible.17
- Lodging arrangement. Amenities can vary significantly between different rehabs. Some of them offer luxury accommodation for high-profile professionals, high-quality food, swimming pools, spas, and gyms. These might be the factors to consider if they provide you with a sense of relaxation and wellbeing. Most modern, private treatment facilities offer comfortable, hotel-like accommodation to make sure that your stay is as pleasant as possible.8
- Support groups. After stabilizing therapies like medical detox and individual or group counseling, top-rated rehab facilities also offer relapse prevention strategies.17
- Program success rates. Clinical trials and outcome studies examined the effectiveness of various types of rehab programs. The conclusion they arrived at is that no approach is proved to be effective for everyone and there are no guarantees that patients won’t experience relapse after leaving the residential environment. However, the evidence does show that SUDs can be treated effectively, with success rates similar to those of other chronic illnesses, such as asthma, diabetes, or hypertension.7
AAC’s Best Drug Rehab Centers
AAC operates treatment centers in 26 locations in eight states of the U.S., so it can match you with a treatment facility that is the best fit for your unique situation. All AAC rehab centers are accredited by The Joint Commission for Behavioral Health Care and the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF).
Some of the top-rated AAC drug detox centers and rehab programs across the U.S. are:
- Laguna Treatment Hospital, a top-rated inpatient drug rehab center in California, is Orange County’s first chemical dependency recovery hospital that focuses on treating medically compromised patients who need 24/7 oversight. It employs Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT) and a variety of evidence-based behavioral therapies. Following the requirements of best detox centers practice, it offers a full continuum of care.
- Desert Hope is a top-rated drug rehab for veterans and athletes. It’s a drug rehab facility in Las Vegas, Nevada, that offers a full continuum of care and a wide variety of specialized treatment programs aimed toward particular populations, such as those with co-occurring disorders, first-responders, and veterans. Expert staff will design a customized treatment plan for each patient, guide them through recovery in a safe environment, and teach them how to maintain their sobriety.
- Greenhouse Treatment Center is a top-rated luxury and faith-based addiction rehab facility in Texas, with a luxurious ambiance and high-end amenities. It offers all levels of care. Medical inpatient rehab provides its patients with indoor and outdoor pools, a fitness center with a wellness program, and an expert chef.
- Oxford Treatment Center is a wilderness and outdoor rehab facility located in the hills of Northern Mississippi. It provides gender-specific rehab for people suffering from SUDs while helping them connect with nature and try new, fun activities. Here, you can address your substance abuse issues while being part of a community of recovering peers and participating in specialized therapies that encourage dynamic healing. This center offers medical detox, inpatient residential treatment, and flexible, top-rated outpatient drug rehab programs.
- Among the top-rated drug rehab for healthcare professionals, Recovery First Treatment Center in Florida maintains the highest standard of care for SUD, as well as any co-occurring mental health conditions. It offers different levels of care of varying duration and intensity, customized treatment plans for men, women, pregnant women struggling with addiction, young adults, veterans and first responders, LGBTQ population, and trauma sufferers.
- River Oaks Treatment Center is another top-rated drug rehab center in Florida. It offers drug addiction help to licensed and impaired professionals by combining evidence-based therapies with world-class amenities. This center provides multiple levels of care, including medical drug detox and treatment of other underlying mental health conditions, through inpatient rehab, as well as partial hospitalization programming (a form of outpatient rehab).
It also offers specialized and effective individual and group therapies, cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT), expressive arts and music therapy, wellness groups, skill-building groups, and yoga.
- AdCare Treatment Hospital (MA) is a top-rated drug rehab for Medicare & Medicaid Insurance that has been providing patients with revolutionizing substance abuse treatment for over 45 years. It offers a comprehensive and continuous system of care at multiple locations throughout southern New England. AdCare Treatment Hospital accepts Medicaid, Medicare, commercial insurance, and private pay patients.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center in Lafayette, New Jersey is a top-rated drug rehab for LGBTQ+ and trauma patients. Its treatment is based on both medical and holistic standpoints. This world-renowned rehab center offers evidence-based therapeutic interventions that encourage dynamic healing, multiple levels of intensive care, including medical detox and 24/7 residential rehab, as well as co-occurring disorder treatment. There are customized treatment tracks and plans for veterans, people with co-occurring disorders, and other particular populations.
How to Find the Best Substance Abuse Treatment Centers Near Me?
The starting point of your search for the best rehab centers near you should consist of creating a basic outline of what your personal needs are, and what kind of insurance coverage you have. To find out about your benefits and coverage, you can either call your health insurance provider or the facilities you’re interested in.
To get into top-rated or best rehab near you, you can also research your options by visiting https://findtreatment.gov/, a website run by The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). This organization collects information on thousands of state-licensed providers who specialize in treating SUDs, addiction, and mental illness.American Addiction Centers admissions navigators can verify your insurance coverage for you to assess what are the best options for your particular needs. You can also check your coverage by filling out an online form. If you prefer talking to an admissions navigator by phone, you can call the AAC helpline and speak to a person who can check your benefits right away.