Does Humana Health Insurance Cover Drug or Alcohol Rehab?
If you are struggling with a substance use disorder and are seeking help, one concern you are likely to have is how you will be able to pay for treatment, If you have Humana insurance, there are many treatment options available for drug rehab through your Humana plan.
What Is Humana Insurance & How Does It Work?
Humana is a popular company that insures around 20 million people in the United States.1 Humana is available in all 50 states.2 Humana also manages health insurance plans for military service members3 and provides Medicare coverage in many states.2 Most health insurance companies in the U.S. are required to cover mental health and substance use disorder treatment, so some form of drug rehab is covered by most Humana plans.4 To find out more about your drug rehab coverage under your Humana insurance plan, you can call the number on the back of your insurance card.
Humana Policy Coverage for Substance Abuse Treatment
There are many types of substance use disorder treatments, and Humana may cover some or all of these services, depending on your plan specifics:5
- Inpatient treatment, which can include acute medically supervised treatment with many hours of counseling available each day.
- Residential rehab, where people live in a structured environment, with several hours of counseling provided each week.
- Intensive outpatient programs (IOPs), which allow people to go home each night and receive at least 9 hours of counseling and other programming during the week.
- Partial hospitalization programs (PHPs), which provide 20 or more hours of treatment each week.
Humana notes that treatment for substance use disorders can consist of:6
- Medication-assisted treatment.
- Inpatient treatment.
- Peer support.
- 12-step groups.
Does Humana Insurance Cover Mental Health Care?
As noted earlier, most health insurance plans are required to offer mental health and substance use disorder coverage.4Around 38% of people who have a substance use disorder also have a mental health disorder.7 (how many) Unfortunately, only 9% of people with both types of disorders get treatment for both a substance use disorder and a behavioral health disorder.7(who gets) The best approach is to treat both simultaneously in an integrated model.8(points to remember section)
How Long Does Humana Insurance Cover Rehab?
There are many types of Humana insurance plans, and the specifics of what is covered and how long rehab is covered for does vary from one plan to another. It is in your best interest to take advantage of a longer stay if it is covered. Studies have indicated that longer stays in treatment, particularly, those lasting at least 90 days, are associated with better outcomes.9 (#5)
If you want to know more about what coverage your Humana insurance plan offers, call the number on the back of your card, and discuss your treatment options with your Humana plan representative.
What if My Humana Policy Does not Cover Heroin Rehab?
If you need heroin rehab and your treatment isn’t covered by Humana, there are still options to help you get treatment. Some rehab programs offer scholarships, while others have payment programs where you can make payments over time to cover the cost of treatment. You may also be able to borrow money from family, take out a loan, or use your credit card to pay for your heroin rehab treatment. Regardless of how you finance treatment, it is important to get treatment right away, rather than waiting until a later date. As Humana notes, the longer a person has a substance use disorder, the harder it becomes to treat, and that early treatment works best.10(fight doubts section)
Humana In-Network vs. Out-of-Network Rehab Centers
You may have heard the terms in-network and out-of-network and wondered what they mean. If a drug treatment program is in-network with Humana, this means that the rehab program has contracted with Humana to provide treatment at a contracted price, which is usually discounted from the standard price. If the drug rehab program you are interested in does not take Humana insurance, you will usually pay a higher out-of-network rate. You can check with Humana by calling the number on the back of your insurance card to see if a drug rehab program is in or out of network.
How to Check Humana Rehab Coverage?
American Addiction Centers offers caring and compassionate treatment at multiple locations nationwide. Call American Addiction Centers today at our 24/7 helpline to speak to a treatment navigator who can check your benefits and verify your insurance coverage for you.
- (2021). Humana insurance company.
- (2021). Licensure information.
- (2021). Military.
- gov. The mental health parity and addiction equity act.
- American Society of Addiction Medicine Continuum. (2019). What are the ASAM levels of care?
- (2021). Don’t let substance use disorders have the last word.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2018). Comorbidity: Substance use and other mental and other mental disorders.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2018). Substance use disorders and other mental illnesses: drugfacts.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2018). Principles of effective treatment