Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas Coverage for Drug & Alcohol Rehab
Does BCBS of Texas Insurance Cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab Centers?
Substance use disorders (SUD) are a fairly big problem in Texas. In 2018 alone, more than 1,400 people died from an opioid-involved overdose.1 About 2.4 million Texas citizens aged 12 or older are using marijuana and 8% of Texans no older than 12 are abusing illicit substances. This leads to many people seeking treatment for their substance abuse.2
Unfortunately, not everyone can afford treatment. It’s estimated that less than 2% of people who need to go to rehab actually get treatment.3 Most individuals that never go to treatment list lack of funds as their reason for not receiving the help they need.4
Next to Medicaid and Medicare, there are many private insurance companies that can help people looking for treatment. In fact, about 10.5% of people opt for private insurance when it comes to paying rehab costs. In Texas, many of them have used BlueCross BlueShield of Texas.4
BlueCross BlueShield insurance is the largest name when it comes to private insurance carriers in Texas. Many Texas residents use it to cover the costs of undergoing treatment at drug rehabilitation centers. Private insurance is a great option for those not eligible for standard insurance options.4
If you want to check your BlueCross BlueShield coverage, you can contact the preferred rehab center and see whether you’re eligible for treatment. You might also want to call the number on your insurance card to learn more about your specific plan. You can also reach to American Addiction Centers, a trusted leader in addiction treatment, via call, chat, or online form.5
What is Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas?
BlueCross BlueShield insurance companies, also known as BCBS, have been active since 1929 in providing healthcare coverage to all its members. They offer nationwide coverage in every US state.
BlCBS of Texas substance abuse treatment coverage is one of the ways many struggling individuals get substance abuse treatment. In fact, 1 in 10 people admitted to treatment for SUD have private insurance and approximately 1 in 3 US citizens are members of the BlueCross BlueShield Association.4
Today, BCBS of Texas has around 6 million members in all 254 Texas counties. It serves some of the well-known Texas companies, such as JBS, American Airlines, Texas Medical Association, and Halliburton. They have approximately 80,000 professional medical experts working with them and about 500 in-network hospitals where you can get treatment.
BCBS of Texas Coverage for Substance Abuse Treatment Centers
Mental health services are considered essential health benefits. This also includes SUD and its treatment. However, the specific health benefits will depend on your BCBS insurance plan.6
Overall, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas insurance for alcohol and drug addiction treatment programs has the same limitations as the policies that apply to medical and surgical services. This is because mental health has to be treated the same way as physical health, so the same benefits apply.6
When it comes to BCBS of Texas, most plans cover some or all of the costs of the following:
- Inpatient rehab for people who need intensive, long-term treatment
- Residential rehab for those who should be monitored by professionals 24/7
- Detox to help manage withdrawal syndrome
- Outpatient rehab for those with a mild form of SUD or those who have completed their inpatient treatment
- Intensive outpatient programs (IOP)
- Partial hospitalization programs (PHP)
Depending on your plan, you might still be limited with the number of days or visits, copayments, deductibles, out-of-pocket costs, and coinsurance. Also, most plans require a professional to authorize the specific treatment you want to apply to.6
Does BCBS Of Texas Insurance Cover Inpatient Mental Health Care Facilities?
Mental health issues are tightly connected with SUD. In fact, people who have mental health struggles are more likely to develop SUD compared to individuals who aren’t affected by any mental illness.7 Around 9.2 million of adults with SUD struggle with co-occurring disorders. As such, treating both mental health and physical consequences of SUD is essential to recovery.8
Under the Affordable Care Act, insurance providers are required to cover the costs of treatment for addiction and mental health, so both co-occurring disorder treatment and stand-alone addiction rehab fall under this mandate.9 Because of this, most Blue Cross Blue Shield substance abuse providers also provide coverage for mental health treatment.
Does BCBS of Texas Policy Cover Addiction Treatment Therapy?
BlueCross BlueShield insurance can cover any form of addiction treatment therapy, as long as the treatment is approved by a licensed medical professional. However, before you begin with your therapy, you should consider calling the number on the back of your card to make sure you understand your benefits. This way, you can make sure what portion of the costs will be covered, if any.
BCBS mental health coverage will depend on your plan. Some of the included services might be:
- Providing medication to those who require it.
- Counseling and extensive psychotherapy.
- Working with family members to help create a supportive environment.
- Emergency and crisis support.
How Long Does BCBS of Texas Insurance Cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab Program?
Addiction is known as a disorder that can be challenging to cure. Relapses are common and they can happen long after the individual has last used drugs. For treatment to be effective, it must be adjusted to fit the person’s unique needs. This includes adjusting the treatment length.8
To lower the chances of relapse, a person must stay in alcohol or drug rehab for a period of time a professional recommends when assessing an individual’s situations upon admission. It’s important to emphasize that there isn’t a one-size-fits-all when it comes to treatment length.8
However, the longer the treatment lasts, the bigger the chances of full recovery. In most cases, it’s recommended that a person stays 3 months or longer at a rehab center. This seems to be the shortest effective period for most patients.8
For more information about your specific coverage, it’s important to call BCBS to check your policy so you can know how long your plan will cover the stay at an addiction treatment center.
What Should I Do if BCBS Of Texas Won’t Cover Total Cost of Rehab?
Not all people in Texas, or across the country, have insurance that will help them pay for drug rehabilitation services. In fact, around 37% of people in need of treatment don’t have insurance that can support the costs of rehab. Fortunately, there are other payment options that people without insurance can use to fund their treatment.4
Out of 431 rehab facilities in Texas, private insurance, including BCBS of Texas, is accepted by 62.9% of facilities. Cash or self-payment is an option in 90.3% and 49% might agree on sliding fee scales. Also, 47.8% offers treatment free of charge for those who cannot afford to pay.10
For the treatment to be effective, it’s important to start as soon as possible. This is why many BCBS of Texas treatment centers offer same-day admissions. If you wait to get treatment, it might not be as effective.8
BCBS of Texas In-network Vs. Out of Network Inpatient Rehab Centers
If you look at Texas drug rehabilitation options through your insurance provider, you’ll see that some rehabilitation centers are noted as out-of-network, while others are noted as in-network Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas drug treatment providers.
In-network providers are companies that have contracts with BCBS of Texas. They offer benefits and various healthcare plans to those who are members of BCBS. They’re also referred to as ‘participating providers’ or ‘network providers’. Providers who are not participants are out-of-network participants.
There are several differences between in-network and out-of-network BCBS of Texas rehabilitation centers. Most of them are focused on coverage and what’s covered. For example, out-of-network Blue Cross Blue Shield alcohol rehabs won’t accept the approved payment amount in-network rehabs in TX would. In other words, there will be balance billing, which means the client will have to pay the difference between the provider’s full price and the amount your insurance plan provides.
If you want to find out whether your preferred rehab center is in-network or out-of-network, you should check your BCBS coverage by calling the number on the back of the card.
What Rehab Centers Take BCBS of Texas Insurance?
American Addiction Centers (AAC) has various rehab facilities around the country that provide drug and alcohol addiction treatment. If you have a BCBS of Texas insurance plan, the following AAC facilities accept BCBS of Texas for drug and alcohol addiction rehab.
- AdCare Rhode Island: With various facilities located in Rhode Island, AdCare provides innovative, quality, and cost-efficient addiction treatment. Its integrated system of care offers an inpatient treatment center in North Kingstown and a network of outpatient offices throughout Rhode Island. AdCare’s continuum of care includes detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, inpatient and outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Desert Hope Treatment Center: Located in Las Vegas, Nevada, Desert Hope provides individualized care programs as well as offering a full continuum of care including detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Greenhouse Treatment Center: Located in Grand Prairie, Texas, Greenhouse offers individualized treatment plans and many levels of care including detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, outpatient services, and tele-health, all in a luxurious setting with high-end amenities.
- Laguna Treatment Hospital: Located in Orange County, California, Laguna is a chemical dependency recovery hospital that focuses on treating people who are medically compromised and need 24/7 oversight. Provided care includes detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment inpatient treatment, and intensive outpatient services.
- Oxford Treatment Center: Located in Etta, Mississippi, Oxford offers gender-specific rehab while offering an opportunity to connect with nature and try new activities. Provided care includes detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, inpatient and outpatient treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health, all with individualized treatment programs.
- River Oaks Treatment Center: Located in Riverview, Florida, River Oaks treats substance use disorders through combining evidence-based therapies with world-class amenities. Provided care includes detox, residential treatment, behavioral disorder treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, outpatient services, and tele-health, all with individualized treatment programs.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center: Located in Lafayette Township, New Jersey, Sunrise House provides treatment for people suffering from substance abuse from a medical and holistic standpoint. With various evidence-based therapeutic interventions, personalized care is provided through detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, and outpatient services.
There are various treatment programs for individuals struggling with drug or alcohol addiction, so don’t give up if the first program you check out doesn’t meet your individual needs. There are rehabs near me that can provide the treatment you need. Check out the directory to find a list of facilities and programs. You can search by location and filter by BCBS of Texas insurance.
How To Find BCBS of Texas Covered Inpatient Drug Treatment Centers in Texas?
When considering getting treatment, there are several ways you can check what BCBS of Texas substance abuse treatment facilities are available to you. One of the options is to call their TX addiction hotline and check your plan details. Another option is to call AAC’s helpline. This will connect you with a professional dispatcher who can check and verify your coverage and confirm your benefits.
There are 271 facilities in Texas that you can finance with private health insurance. Most of them will accept BCBS of Texas.11
If you’re looking for trusted and recognized inpatient rehab centers, you might want to consider Greenhouse Treatment Center.
Greenhouse Treatment Center
Greenhouse Treatment Center, located in a former Neiman Marcus spa, provides a luxurious experience and client-focused service to all its patients. It’s a great place for everyone looking to get treatment in Texas or those willing to travel out-of-state to get quality care.
Some of the services you can get at the Greenhouse facility include:
- Medically supervised detox and withdrawal management.
- Intensive outpatient program (IOP).
- Partial hospitalization program.
- Residential treatment.
- Recovery residence.
This is also a place to get holistic therapy and get better on not just physical but also emotional and spiritual levels.
Frequently Asked Questions