Federal BCBS Insurance Coverage for Drug and Alcohol Rehab Treatment Near Me
- Access to licensed treatment centers
- Information on treatment plans
- Financial assistance options
Does Federal BCBS Cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab Centers?
If you are struggling with an alcohol or drug issue, you may be thinking about starting a substance misuse treatment program. Some people may be concerned due to financial limitations and wonder if they will have insurance coverage to participate in rehab. Fortunately, many inpatient alcohol and drug rehab centers provide coverage for substance misuse. Find a rehab facility near you and begin the insurance verification process to get started.
You can access your Federal Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance coverage to start a treatment plan.1 Federal BCBS substance abuse treatment coverage offers mental health and substance misuse services at in-network providers. 1
You can begin your journey to recovery by contacting American Addiction Centers (AAC) and obtaining information for Federal Blue Cross Blue Shield providers. An admissions navigator will guide you in finding a Federal BCBS substance abuse treatment facility near you. There are several ways you can communicate with AAC in a variety of ways, such as online chat or filling out the verification of benefits form.
What Is Federal BCBS?
Blue Cross Blue Shield has been offering healthcare benefits for 60 years.2 The Federal Employee Program (FEP) has provided health insurance to members of the federal employee workforce during this time.2 There are over 5.5 million federal employees and their families across the country.2
The BlueCross BlueShield federal employee program gives members benefits and coverage through the preferred provider network, which provides access to more doctors, facilities, and specialists.2
What Types of Drug Treatments Does Federal BCBS Insurance Cover?
Federal BCBS addiction treatment programs vary in their intensity and provide an array of therapeutic services, including detox treatment. As you begin a treatment program, you may be curious about what treatment(s) you need and what types of drug treatments your Federal BCBS insurance rehab covers.
The first thing to know when beginning a rehab program is that every person is unique and may require a different level of treatment. Treatment intensity levels vary to meet everyone’s needs. An admissions navigator can advise you on what Federal BCBS drug detox treatment program may be best for your specific needs. The admissions navigator may suggest a more intense level of rehab and then move you through the treatment levels until you have the coping skills for living soberly.
Some people may stay in some sort of rehab program throughout their lives to help with relapse prevention. Relapse prevention is an important part of any treatment plan. Again, everyone is different, and so your needs may differ from someone else’s.
Some treatment programs that Federal BCBS rehab may cover include:3
Inpatient or residential rehab: An inpatient treatment program is sometimes referred to as a residential rehab program because you will set up residence at the facility. Doctors, nurses, or clinicians will give you around-the-clock care. You will stay overnight at the facility during the duration of the program. During the treatment program, you may receive therapy, detox, and medicated-assisted treatment, if needed. The length of time that an inpatient program lasts varies but can be up to 90 days to start. 3
Partial hospitalization program (PHP): A PHP is similar to an inpatient program, except you won’t be staying overnight. You will receive therapy for much of the day while in a residential/hospital setting.4
Intensive outpatient program (IOP): An IOP is an intensive level of outpatient treatment. During this treatment, you will receive several hours of therapy during the week. The exact amount varies depending on your Federal BCBS drug treatment plan. However, it will be more therapy than a regular outpatient program.3
Outpatient treatment program and therapy: Once you gain some of the coping strategies to handle the stress and triggers of the outside world, you will be prepared for the standard outpatient treatment program. This usually occurs about once or twice a week.3
You can inquire with your insurance carrier about the specific coverage you have with your plan. Your policy tier and specific insurance details will be important in determining what will be covered and for how long.
Does Federal BCBS Insurance Cover Inpatient Mental Health Treatment Facilities?
Getting an assessment for a mental health disorder during a Federal BCBS insurance drug treatment program is a good idea because of the link between substance misuse and mental health disorders.5 Research shows that whether you have a substance use disorder or a mental illness, you may be predisposed to develop the other condition.5 A correlation between the two exists in the research and is referred to as co-occurring disorder. 5
It’s also noteworthy to mention that certain types of mental health conditions co-occur with substance misuse.6(part1) While it’s true that any mental health disorder can co-occur with a substance use disorder, here is a list of the common ones that do: 6(part1)
- Major depressive disorder
- Psychotic disorders
- Borderline personality disorder
- Generalized anxiety disorder as well as panic disorder
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Antisocial disorder
When seeking treatment for a co-occurring disorder, it’s beneficial to do both treatments simultaneously.5
Under the Affordable Care Act (ACA), you can participate in a co-occurring treatment program using your BCBS federal insurance.7 The amount that will be covered by Federal Blue Cross varies depending on the type of insurance you have. However, because of the ACA mandate, the insurance can’t deny you for seeking mental health and substance misuse treatment because it falls within their covered essential benefits.7
How Long Does Federal BCBS Insurance Cover an Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab Program?
When dealing with any type of substance use disorder, a person may seek treatment on an ongoing basis. This lifelong approach of continuing care is vital due to the complexity and chronic nature of the disorder. 8
Whether you decide to stay in rehab throughout your life or not, it is important to stay in a rehab program for an adequate amount of time.8 Everyone’s rehab needs are different. Some people may need more extensive treatment than others. An admissions navigator can get you started by explaining what treatment levels and programs may be best suited for your specific needs and how long you may need to participate in one.
Most people need at least 3 months of rehab to detox and get on the pathway to healing.8 If you’re wondering about the length of your Federal BCBS-covered detox, you can contact your insurer by calling the number on the back of your card.
What if My Federal BCBS Policy Does Not Cover an Inpatient Rehab Program?
If you check Federal BCBS coverage and discover that you don’t have enough insurance to cover an inpatient drug rehab program, you can still consider other options. If you contact Federal BCBS substance abuse providers, you may find that some of them provide financing programs, scholarship options, or reduced costs for self-pay. It is vital to seek these options, if possible, instead of delaying treatment and putting off caring for your well-being.
Federal BCBS In-Network vs. Out-of-Network Inpatient Rehab Centers
Choosing an in-network (or preferred) Federal BCBS drug rehabilitation provider is financially advantageous to you.9 Since these providers are in-network with Federal BCBS, they have agreed to accept a negotiated allowance as full payment for services. 9 That means you will only have to pay applicable deductibles, copays, or coinsurances.9 Therefore, your out-of-pocket costs are limited.9 Going to an out-of-network provider will be an additional cost.9
How To Find Federal BCBS Covered Inpatient Drug Treatment Centers
You can find Federal BCBS drug treatment providers by contacting the American Addiction Centers (AAC) for insurance verification. They will direct you in the right direction for finding Federal BCBS coverage. AAC has extensive treatment centers across the U.S. and can help you find a quality provider in your area. An admissions navigator is standing by at the BCBS Federal addiction hotline to assist you now.
Rehabs That Take Blue Cross Blue Shield Insurance
American Addiction Centers (AAC) has various rehab facilities around the country that provide drug and alcohol addiction treatment. If you have a Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance plan, the following AAC facilities accept Blue Cross Blue Shield for drug and alcohol addiction rehab.
- AdCare Rhode Island: With various facilities located in Rhode Island, AdCare provides innovative, quality, and cost-efficient addiction treatment. Its integrated system of care offers an inpatient treatment center in North Kingstown and a network of outpatient offices throughout Rhode Island. AdCare’s continuum of care includes detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, inpatient and outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Desert Hope Treatment Center: Located in Las Vegas, Nevada, Desert Hope provides individualized care programs as well as offering a full continuum of care including detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Greenhouse Treatment Center: Located in Grand Prairie, Texas, Greenhouse offers individualized treatment plans and many levels of care including detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, outpatient services, and tele-health, all in a luxurious setting with high-end amenities.
- Laguna Treatment Hospital: Located in Orange County, California, Laguna is a chemical dependency recovery hospital that focuses on treating people who are medically compromised and need 24/7 oversight. Provided care includes detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment inpatient treatment, and intensive outpatient services.
- Oxford Treatment Center: Located in Etta, Mississippi, Oxford offers gender-specific rehab while offering an opportunity to connect with nature and try new activities. Provided care includes detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, inpatient and outpatient treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health, all with individualized treatment programs.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center: Located in Lafayette Township, New Jersey, Sunrise House provides treatment for people suffering from substance abuse from a medical and holistic standpoint. With various evidence-based therapeutic interventions, personalized care is provided through detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, and outpatient services.
There are various treatment programs for individuals struggling with drug or alcohol addiction, so don’t give up if the first program you check out doesn’t meet your individual needs. There are rehabs near me that can provide the treatment you need. Check out the directory to find a list of facilities and programs. You can search by location and filter by Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance.