Horizon BCBS of NJ Insurance Coverage for Alcohol Detox & Rehab Centers
Does BCBS of New Jersey (Horizon) covers Alcohol rehab?
Overcoming addiction can be an incredibly challenging process, and the cost of treatment is a common concern for those seeking help. However, if you have an insurance plan like Horizon BCBS, you may have access to addiction treatment services, including inpatient rehab centers, at little or no cost to you. The extent of your coverage will depend on your specific plan, your location, and the treatment center you choose.
To determine whether your insurance covers drug and alcohol rehab, you can contact a Horizon BCBS representative using the phone number on the back of your insurance card. Alternatively, you can reach out to American Addiction Centers (AAC) by phone or chat for assistance or directly contact an AAC-accredited rehab facility to confirm whether they accept your insurance plan.
What Does BCBS of New Jersey (Horizon) Insurance Cover for Alcohol Treatment?
Horizon BCBS NJ is a member of the nationwide Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance network, which has been providing health insurance products and services to families and businesses in New Jersey since 1932.1 With coverage available in 21 counties across the state, Horizon BCBS NJ serves nearly 3.5 million people, making it the 7th-largest plan within the BCBS network nationwide.2
Your BCBS of New Jersey health plan may provide coverage for a variety of alcohol rehab and treatments, including the following:
- Screenings, interventions: Mental health providers can use alcohol interventions and screenings to assess your behaviors and alcohol consumption and determine whether you have an alcohol addiction or alcohol use disorder.3
- Detox: Detoxification is a process of removing alcohol and other substances from your body, which is often done in a medically supervised setting to help mitigate any of the acute or life-threatening side effects of going through detox.4, para 2 •
- Inpatient: In an inpatient alcohol rehab program, you would receive 24/7 medically supervised care and live at the facility for the duration of your treatment, which could last from days to weeks or months.5, (How are behavioral therapies used to treat drug addiction?)
- Outpatient: In an outpatient alcohol rehab program, you attend sessions 1 or 2 times a week, which could involve therapy or meetings, and you do not stay at the facility overnight.5, (How are behavioral therapies used to treat drug addiction?)
- Behavioral therapies: Behavioral therapies can be used at any point in your alcohol rehab journey and are designed to encourage you to modify your attitudes, stop or refrain from using alcohol, and learn coping skills for stressors that don’t involve using substances.6
- Treatment for co-occurring disorders: Co-occurring disorders, which refer to the connection between mental illness and substance use disorder, often require tandem treatment of the conditions.7
What BCBS of New Jersey (Horizon) does not cover for Alcohol Treatment?
Not all alcohol treatments are covered under health insurance plans. Every plan is different, but some common alcohol treatments that are generally not covered by insurance may include:
- Non-medical amenities.
- Holistic care services.
- Recreation programs.
- Food delivery.
- Private treatment services.
- Alternative therapies.
How Much Does Alcohol Rehab Cost?
One of the main concerns for those seeking alcohol rehab is the cost of treatment, which can depend on several factors, such as your BCBS of NJ (Horizon) mental health coverage details, the rehab center you choose, its amenities, and the intensity of services. If your insurance doesn’t cover the full or partial cost of treatment, you can explore payment options with the facility, such as financing or scholarships. It’s important to inquire about payment options to ensure you have access to the care you need, even if insurance doesn’t cover all the costs.
Cost of Inpatient Alcohol Rehab
The cost of inpatient alcohol rehab can vary greatly based on whether the facility is in-network for your BCBS of NJ health insurance plan. It’s important to note that due to the intensive 24/7 care provided, inpatient rehab may cost more than outpatient services.5 To get an idea of the cost, you can ask the rehab facility to provide you with an estimate or quote for your treatment. This can help you prepare for any expenses you may incur.
Cost of Outpatient Alcohol Rehab
The cost of outpatient alcohol rehab can vary depending on the number and intensity of the sessions you require, as well as whether the provider is in-network with your Horizon plan. To find out if a specific outpatient rehab provider is covered by your plan, you can call the number on the back of your insurance card or contact the facility directly to inquire about insurance acceptance.
Cost of Alcohol Partial Hospitalization Programs (PHP)
A partial hospitalization program (PHP) is an outpatient program designed to provide structured treatment for substance use disorders, including opioid addiction.8 These programs typically require patients to attend a minimum number of hours of treatment per week, usually around 20 hours.8 The total cost of your PHP treatment will depend on factors such as the duration of your treatment, the location where you receive care, the extent of the program, and your BCBS of NJ health plan’s coverage details.
Cost of Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT)
Medication-assisted treatment (MAT) is an addiction treatment approach that involves using prescription medication to manage the withdrawal and craving symptoms commonly associated with opioid addiction, but it may also be used for alcohol addiction.9 Your provider or care team may recommend MAT as part of your treatment plan, which could continue even after you’ve stopped using opioids. The medication used in MAT is often covered by most health plans, but it’s important to review your BCBS of NJ health plan to understand the specifics of your prescription drug coverage. MAT can be an effective tool in helping people overcome opioid addiction and achieve lasting recovery.
Alcohol Rehab vs. the Cost of Alcohol Addiction
Alcohol addiction can have extensive and adverse effects. The harmful use of alcohol accounts for 3 million deaths globally, with additional social and economic costs.10 In a federal survey, 31% of state prisoners and 25% of federal prisoners reported consuming alcohol at the time of the offense that led to their incarceration.11 This could lead to significant socioeconomic consequences, including lost income and broken families. Furthermore, continued drinking can cause negative health outcomes, as alcohol is a causal factor in over 200 diseases and injury-related conditions.10 For instance, 43.1% of liver disease deaths in the United States in 2019 involved alcohol. 12 “Alcohol and the human body” Despite the high costs of alcohol rehab, the long-term risks and costs of continued drinking outweigh them. Therefore, seeking treatment is the more prudent choice.
What Length of Alcohol Rehab Does BCBS of New Jersey (Horizon) Cover?
Every person’s path to alcohol recovery is unique, and the length of rehab needed varies. While some may require a shorter duration of treatment, others may require a more extended period of care to remain sober. According to research, favorable outcomes depend on an adequate length of treatment. Therefore, many experts recommend a treatment duration of at least 3 months (or 90 days) to reduce or stop substance use.13 The duration of your recommended treatment may vary, as well as the duration of coverage by your BCBS of NJ healthcare plan. It is best to work with your healthcare provider and insurance representative to determine the recommended duration of treatment and the coverage provided by your specific plan.
Choosing between BCBS of New Jersey (Horizon) Inpatient vs. Outpatient Alcohol Rehab Centers
When considering whether to enroll in an inpatient or outpatient alcohol rehab center, it’s important to seek advice from your doctor. It’s crucial to discuss several factors, such as the quality of care provided at the facility, the treatment ecosystem, the level of support and environment, and the required level of accountability at each type of facility.
Inpatient facilities offer round-the-clock treatment and provide an environment of living with other recovering individuals, which may offer a more focused and supportive setting. Talk with your doctor to determine which type of facility is appropriate for your specific needs.
How to Use BCBS of New Jersey (Horizon) Insurance for Alcohol Rehab?
The process of using your Horizon plan may vary based on the type of plan you have. To ensure a smooth experience, it is recommended that you contact the number on the back of your insurance card to determine if there are any additional steps you need to take, such as obtaining prior authorization. Your first step would be to consult with a doctor who can evaluate your alcohol use and refer you to an alcohol rehab center.
Once you have been referred to a rehab center, you can determine if your insurance can be used at that facility. If your insurance is not accepted, you can contact the number on the back of your insurance card or work directly with the rehab center to find another facility that accepts your insurance. The rehab center will assist you in coordinating your care and billing with your insurance provider.
How to Find Alcohol Rehabs That Accept BCBS of New Jersey (Horizon) Insurance
American Addiction Centers is an industry leader in addiction care, including alcohol rehab. AAC also has a handful of top-notch, high-quality treatment facilities across the country, including the nearby Sunrise House Treatment Center. AAC works with a variety of insurance companies and may accept your BCBS of New Jersey health plan. Call our confidential helpline today to find out if your plan is accepted at 1 of our treatment centers.
Our staff can also work with you to verify your benefits and coverage. We can help you find out what types of treatment may be covered under your plan and help connect you to a doctor who can best inform treatment based on your condition. Call us today to get started.
Rehabs That Take Blue Cross Blue Shield Insurance
American Addiction Centers (AAC) has various rehab facilities around the country that provide drug and alcohol addiction treatment. If you have a Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance plan, the following AAC facilities accept Blue Cross Blue Shield for drug and alcohol addiction rehab.
- AdCare Rhode Island: With various facilities located in Rhode Island, AdCare provides innovative, quality, and cost-efficient addiction treatment. Its integrated system of care offers an inpatient treatment center in North Kingstown and a network of outpatient offices throughout Rhode Island. AdCare’s continuum of care includes detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, inpatient and outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Desert Hope Treatment Center: Located in Las Vegas, Nevada, Desert Hope provides individualized care programs as well as offering a full continuum of care including detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Greenhouse Treatment Center: Located in Grand Prairie, Texas, Greenhouse offers individualized treatment plans and many levels of care including detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, outpatient services, and tele-health, all in a luxurious setting with high-end amenities.
- Laguna Treatment Hospital: Located in Orange County, California, Laguna is a chemical dependency recovery hospital that focuses on treating people who are medically compromised and need 24/7 oversight. Provided care includes detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment inpatient treatment, and intensive outpatient services.
- Oxford Treatment Center: Located in Etta, Mississippi, Oxford offers gender-specific rehab while offering an opportunity to connect with nature and try new activities. Provided care includes detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, inpatient and outpatient treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health, all with individualized treatment programs.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center: Located in Lafayette Township, New Jersey, Sunrise House provides treatment for people suffering from substance abuse from a medical and holistic standpoint. With various evidence-based therapeutic interventions, personalized care is provided through detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, and outpatient services.
There are various treatment programs for individuals struggling with drug or alcohol addiction, so don’t give up if the first program you check out doesn’t meet your individual needs. There are rehabs near me that can provide the treatment you need. Check out the directory to find a list of facilities and programs. You can search by location and filter by Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance.
- Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield. (n.d.). Company information.
- Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield. (2019). Facts and figures.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. (n.d.).
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2020, June 3). Types of treatment programs.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse; National Institutes of Health; U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. (2019). Treatment approaches for drug addiction DrugFacts.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2018, January). Behavioral therapies.
- National Alliance on Mental Illness. (2020, May). Substance use disorders.
- National Alliance on Mental Illness. (2020, April 20). The value of structured outpatient treatment.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (2022, May 10). Medication-assisted treatment (MAT).
- World Health Organization. (2022, May 9).
- Bureau of Justice Statistics. (2021, July). Alcohol and drug use and treatment reported by prisoners: survey of prison inmates, 2016.
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. (2022, March). Alcohol use in the United States.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2018, January). How long does drug addiction treatment usually last?
- Insurance Provider Name
- Policy Member's Full Name
- Policy Membership/Subscriber ID
Check your BCBS of New Jersey (Horizon) rehab coverage
American Addiction Centers' locations
Guides for other health insurance providers
- 1199SEIU Funds
- APS Healthcare
- Aetna Insurance
- Ambetter Insurance
- American Family Insurance
- Amerigroup Insurance
- Amerihealth Insurance
- Anthem BlueCross California
- Anthem Insurance
- Assurant Health Insurance
- Beacon Health
- Behavioral Healthcare
- Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Blue Shield of California
- Cigna Insurance
- Community Health Choice
- Cooks Children’s Health Plan
- Emblem Health
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Exclusive Care
- Federal Blue Cross Blue Shield
- First Care
- First Health
- Florida Blue (BCBS Florida)
- GEHA Health Plan
- Geisinger Health Plan
- Harvard Pilgrim
- Health Net
- Health Plan of Nevada
- Horizon BCBS
- Humana Health Insurance