Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois For Drug & Alcohol Rehab and Detox Centers Near Me
Does BCBS of Illinois Insurance Cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab Centers?
If you have a BCBS of Illinois insurance plan, you may be wondering whether inpatient alcohol and drug rehab centers are covered under your policy. The short answer is yes. Federal health care laws mandate that almost all U.S. health insurance plans provide coverage in some capacity for mental and behavioral health services, including inpatient treatment.1 However, coverage levels will vary by plan, which is why it’s important to review your plan details carefully.
The only way to know for sure what is covered under your policy is to check your insurance information, and there are several ways to accomplish this task. First, you can call the number on the back of your insurance card and speak to a BCBS of Illinois insurance representative. The representative can help you learn more about your plan and coverage details. You can also work with a rehab center directly, as they can check your coverage based on the insurance information that you provide to them. Similarly, you can reach out to American Addiction Centers (AAC) admissions navigator via phone or chat, and they can help you learn more about your health plan details.
Another way is to enter your insurance details into the benefits verification form and instantly check your benefits online.
How to Find BCBS of Illinois Covered Inpatient Drug Treatment Centers in IL?
Finding an inpatient drug treatment center in IL that is covered under your BCBS of Illinois is easy. There are 50 inpatient and residential drug treatment centers in Illinois, according to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s online treatment locator tool.2 Even though there are 50 facilities, your BCBS of Illinois health insurance plan may not cover treatment at all these locations.
To determine whether your insurance is accepted at the facility of your choice in Illinois, you can call the rehab center directly and work with a staff member. The staff at the rehab center will ask for basic insurance details and then help you determine what your coverage levels may be. Another option for finding a BCBS of Illinois covered inpatient drug treatment center is by calling the number on the back of your insurance card. An insurance representative will be happy to work with you. A representative can explain your plan details and help you find centers that may be within your plan’s network.
Another option is to call the AAC’s confidential helpline at and speak to a person who can check your benefits.
What Is BCBS of Illinois?
BCBS of IL is currently the largest health insurance company in the state of Illinois, serving 8.1 million members.3, Who We Are Since 1936, Blue Cross Blue Shield has been providing health insurance solutions to Illinoisans.3, para 1 BCBS of IL is a subsidiary of the larger Blue Cross Blue Shield Administration (BCBSA).4, Para 1 BCBSA oversees 35 independent BCBS companies, and, collectively, nearly 1 in 3 Americans are insured by a BCBSA plan.4, Para 1
BCBS of IL offers a variety of different health insurance plans across various markets.5, Middle of page (3 options for plans) The company offers individual and family plans, Medicare plans, Medicaid plans, and employer-sponsored health plans.5, Middle of page (3 options for plans) This means that there are many different plans and plan networks to navigate in Illinois, underscoring the need to carefully check your benefits before seeking treatment whenever possible.
How Much Does BCBS of Illinois Cover (Addiction Treatment)?
How much addiction treatment is covered by your BCBS of IL plan will vary based on the plan that you have, where you seek treatment, and how long treatment may be. Despite your plan’s details, some of the following treatment methods may be covered under your BCBS of IL plan:
- Inpatient/residential rehab. With an inpatient program, you are a patient at the facility and remain for the duration of your stay, ranging from days to weeks to months.6, Pg. 8, “What types of treatment programs are available?” Para 2 Here, you’ll receive 24/7 medically supervised care, which may include detox. 6, Pg. 8, “What types of treatment programs are available?” Para 2 A residential program provides the same type of care. 6 8, “What types of treatment programs are available?” Para 2
- Outpatient rehab/therapy. With an outpatient program, you would go to a facility 1 or 2 times a week to receive your treatment, which often involves therapy, but return home after your session is done. 6, Pg. 10, Para 2
- Intensive outpatient programs (IOP). As the name suggests, an IOP is a type of outpatient program. It provides more structure than a standard outpatient program where you will receive a minimum of 9 hours of addiction and recovery care each week, but no overnight stay is required. 6, Pg. 10, Para 3
- Partial hospitalization programs (PHP). A PHP is commonly called a day program. As the name suggests, a day program involves you attending addiction or recovery care for 4–8 hours each day, multiple days a week. 6, Pg. 10, Para 1
Does Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois Provide Coverage for Mental Health Treatment Facilities?
Approximately 17 million adults in the United States experienced both a mental illness and substance use disorder in 2020.7 When someone experiences both of these conditions, it’s known as a co-occurring disorder or a dual diagnosis.7 Although it is not believed that having a mental illness directly causes substance use disorder or vice versa, many experts point to a slight possibility.8 “Does one cause the other?” What’s more, those who experience mental illness are at a higher risk for addiction. 8 “Does one cause the other?”
Specifically, substance use disorder is twice as prevalent among those who have a mental illness, and, similarly, prolonged use of substances increases the underlying risks of developing a mental illness.8 Because the two are their own conditions but can influence the other, an integrated approach to treatment is often the best course.8 “What should I do?” This integrated approach involves treating each condition as a primary condition, and a patient receives treatment for each at the same time.8 “What should I do?”
Regardless of whether you’re seeking treatment for a mental illness or substance use disorder, it will come at a cost. Fortunately, due to the ACA’s essential health benefits mandate, almost all U.S. health plans must cover mental and behavioral health services in some capacity.1 This means that your BCBS of IL plan must offer some level of coverage for services like stand-alone heroin rehab and co-occurring disorder treatment. Plan coverage details will vary, so it’s recommended you verify your benefits before seeking care whenever possible.
How Long Does BCBS of Illinois Insurance Cover Alcohol and Drug Rehab Programs?
Every BCBS of IL mental health coverage will vary based on the plan you have. As such, the length of time your BCSB of Illinois Insurance will cover alcohol and drug rehab programs may differ from what is covered under a peer’s health plan. Regardless of what your plan covers, it’s important to prioritize getting the treatment that you need. Many experts agree that remaining in treatment for an adequate length of time is essential to recovery.9, bullet 5 Treatment length can vary based on your unique situation, but most programs should last for at least 3 months to stop or reduce drug use and improve overall outcomes. 9, bullet 5
Once your provider explains a treatment plan for your unique situation, it’s a good idea to contact your insurance provider to look up your plan information. This will help you understand what may or may not be covered under your plan, which will help you plan for costs potentially not covered by your insurance. You can reach your insurance company by calling the number on the back of your insurance card.
What if My BCBS of Illinois Policy Does Not Cover an Inpatient Rehab Program?
Depending on the rehab center you choose for an inpatient drug rehab program, your BCBS of IL plan may not fully or partially cover the cost of treatment. If this happens, you may be responsible for paying for the expenses incurred. Some rehab centers offer payment options to patients in this situation, which can help offset the costs of getting care.
Among the available options may be financing opportunities, as well as scholarship opportunities for which you can apply. Be sure to prioritize getting treatment right now rather than pushing it down the road based on the cost of a program. Delaying care could result in your condition worsening, which, down the road, could cost more to treat.
BCBS of Illinois In-Network vs. Out-of-Network Inpatient Rehab Centers
BCBS of IL divides health providers into 2 distinct categories by whether they’re within your plan’s network. An in-network provider is in a contractual agreement with the BCBS of IL to provide services to covered members, and those services are to be covered at a higher benefit level.10” In-network” In contrast, an out-of-network provider is one that is not in a contractual agreement with BCBS of IL.10 “Out of Network” Depending on the plan that you have, out-of-network providers and services may not be covered at all under your BCBS of IL plan or only covered at a lower level.10 “Out of Network”
Choosing an in-network provider may help you keep your health care costs in check because you may be responsible for the full or part of the out-of-network provider’s bill. 10 “Out of Network” To find an in-network BCBS of IL provider, you can use the online provider search tool, or you can also call the number on the back of your insurance card. AAC is also here to help you find the care you need and a provider that is within your plan’s network. Please call our helpline today to speak to a real person who can verify your benefits while you’re on the phone.
Rehabs That Take Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois Insurance
American Addiction Centers (AAC) has various rehab facilities around the country that provide drug and alcohol addiction treatment. If you have a Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance plan, the following AAC facilities accept Blue Cross Blue Shield for drug and alcohol addiction rehab.
- AdCare Rhode Island: With various facilities located in Rhode Island, AdCare provides innovative, quality, and cost-efficient addiction treatment. Its integrated system of care offers an inpatient treatment center in North Kingstown and a network of outpatient offices throughout Rhode Island. AdCare’s continuum of care includes detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, inpatient and outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Desert Hope Treatment Center: Located in Las Vegas, Nevada, Desert Hope provides individualized care programs as well as offering a full continuum of care including detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Greenhouse Treatment Center: Located in Grand Prairie, Texas, Greenhouse offers individualized treatment plans and many levels of care including detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, outpatient services, and tele-health, all in a luxurious setting with high-end amenities.
- Laguna Treatment Hospital: Located in Orange County, California, Laguna is a chemical dependency recovery hospital that focuses on treating people who are medically compromised and need 24/7 oversight. Provided care includes detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment inpatient treatment, and intensive outpatient services.
- Oxford Treatment Center: Located in Etta, Mississippi, Oxford offers gender-specific rehab while offering an opportunity to connect with nature and try new activities. Provided care includes detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, inpatient and outpatient treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health, all with individualized treatment programs.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center: Located in Lafayette Township, New Jersey, Sunrise House provides treatment for people suffering from substance abuse from a medical and holistic standpoint. With various evidence-based therapeutic interventions, personalized care is provided through detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, and outpatient services.
There are various treatment programs for individuals struggling with drug or alcohol addiction, so don’t give up if the first program you check out doesn’t meet your individual needs. There are rehabs near me that can provide the treatment you need. Check out the directory to find a list of facilities and programs. You can search by location and filter by Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance.
Does Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois Cover Out-of-State Drug Rehab Centers?
Whether your BCBS of IL plan covers out-of-state drug rehab centers will depend on the type of plan that you have. For non-emergency visits, some BCBS of IL plans, specifically HMO plans, may provide coverage if the provider is a BCBS-affiliated provider.11, “I Have a Question about my HMO”
Be sure to check with BCBS customer service before seeking care outside of your state. Contact us at to learn more about your options.