State Farm Insurance Coverage for Drug and Alcohol Rehab
Does State Farm insurance cover Alcohol and Drug Rehab?
If you struggle with substance use, you might know that you need to go to drug rehab, but you feel alone and ashamed of your struggle. You might not realize that millions of other Americans also struggle with substance use. The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) found in 2018 that 14.8 million Americans struggled with alcohol use disorder, and 8.1 million Americans had at least one illicit drug use disorder.1, p. 37-38
You’re not alone. But how can you get the help you need? If you have a health insurance plan through your State Farm insurance agent, you may be able to use your insurance plan to pay for some or all of the cost of treatment. The specific coverage available will depend on your State Farm plan, so be sure you review your coverage details before committing to a treatment program. For example, you can call the phone number on the back of your insurance card to get the details you need.
Check State Farm Insurance Coverage for Addiction Treatment
How can you be sure how much coverage your State Farm rehabilitation coverage offers? You’ll need to get information about your specific plan. One way to do this is to call the phone number on the back of your insurance card. The insurance company’s representatives can help you review your plan. Or, you can contact American Addiction Centers (AAC) anytime by phone or online. Our admissions navigators can verify your insurance in just a few minutes while they chat with you and are also available to answer any questions you may have about rehab.
You deserve a life of freedom and happiness, free from substance use. That starts with getting the treatment you need. Contact us to find out how to maximize your insurance coverage and get the care you need.
What is State Farm?
State Farm Insurance is best known for its home and auto policies, but they also offer health insurance in partnership with Blue Cross Blue Shield.2, first paragraph These insurance policies are available through a State Farm agent in 19 states across the country.2, health plan availability State Farm’s vision is to help its customers protect what matters most, whether that’s their home, car, business, or health.3, first quote
Does Blue Cross Blue Shield State Farm insurance offer coverage for substance use treatment? The Affordable Care Act (ACA) requires all long-term health insurance plans to offer coverage for 10 essential health benefits, which include mental health and substance use treatment.4, fifth bullet
That means you can rely on your State Farm insurance benefits to pay for some or all of your rehab costs as long as you use a State Farm rehab center that’s part of the network.
State Farm Plans
State Farm partners with Blue Cross Blue Shield to offer a variety of health insurance plans.2, first paragraph These plans vary based on the state and local area where you live and are obtained by your State Farm insurance agent through the state insurance marketplace.2, health plan availability
The Marketplace in each state offers insurance plans in four categories: bronze, silver, gold, and platinum.5, first paragraph These categories are based on how much the insurance plan pays for your care compared to how much you pay out-of-pocket.5, first FYI box
The Bronze plan pays about 60% of the cost of your medical care, and you’ll pay, on average, 40%.5, table These plans have the lowest monthly premium.5, Bronze On the other end, the Platinum plans cover an average of 90% of your costs, and you pay 10%.5, table These plans have the highest monthly premiums.5, Platinum
When you choose your health plan, it’s important to review your coverage and balance the monthly premium with what you need to pay when you need care. Sometimes paying a little bit more each month can be worthwhile if your copays and deductible are lower.
What will State Farm insurance cover?
There’s no single approach to addiction treatment that works for everyone. Your doctor will work with you to set up a personalized plan based on your needs. The doctor will ask about what substances you use, how long you’ve been using them, what your use triggers are, what your home environment is like, and other questions.
It’s important to be honest with your doctor so that you can get the right care. There are many ways to approach substance use treatment and some of the most common include:6,7
- Inpatient Rehab. Inpatient care is a type of addiction treatment where you live at the facility and receive group and individual therapy. You learn new habits to help you live free from substance use, and treatment includes counseling, educational programs, and medication management if required. Inpatient care allows you to get away from your home environment while you learn new ways to live without substance use.
- Outpatient Rehab. Outpatient treatment is a form of addiction recovery that allows you to continue living at home while attending therapy or counseling sessions a few hours each week. This type of treatment may be a starting point, or it can be used as a follow-up after completing inpatient treatment. Outpatient care generally allows you to continue working or attending school while receiving the support you need to overcome addiction.
- Intensive Outpatient Programs (IOP). Intensive outpatient treatment is a step up from regular outpatient treatment but does not require you to live in a facility. Treatment includes counseling, educational programs, and medication management if required. The care is more focused than normal outpatient care, and you’ll attend treatment more often than in a normal outpatient program.
- Partial Hospitalization Programs (PHP). Partial hospitalization programs, or PHPs, provide intensive, high-level care, and you still live at home on nights and weekends. PHP programs consist of a variety of therapies, including counseling, educational programs, and medication management if required. Attendees participate in treatment daily for several hours each day.
What’s most important about your treatment program is that you complete it. Once you start to feel better, it can be tempting to leave your program early. However, completing your program through to graduation is the only way to ensure that your new habits have fully taken root and can stand up against challenges.
Does State Farm Insurance Cover Mental Health Care Treatment Facilities?
Another common question people have about rehab is related to mental health. People may not talk about it, but mental health concerns are common, including among those who struggle with substance use. In fact, 50% of those who struggle with substances also have a mental health diagnosis, which is known as a co-occurring condition.8, second paragraph Some of the most common mental health challenges for those who fight substance use include depression, anxiety, PTSD, ADHD, and personality disorders.8, second paragraph
Will your State Farm insurance cover your mental health care as well as your substance use treatment? Because the ACA includes both mental health coverage and substance use treatment as Essential Health Benefits, your insurance can help you pay for some or all of both kinds of care.4, fifth bullet
It’s important to treat both your mental health and substance use together. Studies show that integrated treatment has a much better outcome than treating only one condition or the other.9, first paragraph
How Long Does State Farm Insurance Cover Rehab?
How long can you expect to be in rehab? Like many aspects of treating substance use, there’s no single right answer for everyone. However, research shows that most people need at least 90 days to make a significant change in their substance use.10, fifth point As a result, most treatment programs are at least three months long.
However, your specific treatment plan may be longer or might include attending ongoing outpatient treatment after your initial treatment program. The key to long-term freedom from substance use is completing your entire program, including aftercare, to support and reinforce your new habits.
The length of time your insurance will help pay for will vary depending on your insurance plan and your doctor’s recommendations. That’s why you may want to have State Farm verify coverage or contact AAC any time of day or night. Our admissions navigators are available to verify your coverage and answer your questions about treatment anytime. You deserve a life free of substance use, and we want to help you get there.
What if my State Farm policy does not cover rehab?
As you review your State Farm substance abuse treatment coverage, you might find that your insurance only pays part of the cost of rehab, and you have to pay the rest. Or, you may discover that the specific treatment program you’re interested in isn’t in the State Farm treatment center network, and you have to pay the full cost yourself.
Don’t let these things discourage you from getting the treatment you need. There are many ways to pay for substance use treatment, and your insurance is only one part.
For example, some treatment centers have a sliding scale of fees based on your income. Or, a treatment center might offer scholarships to some participants. You might be able to borrow money from family and friends for treatment or set up a payment plan with the rehab center.
What’s important is that you get the treatment you need as soon as possible. Substance use has serious long-term health and legal consequences, and you want to get free before it’s too late.
You deserve a happy, healthy, productive life free of substance use. AAC can help you get started on that path.
State Farm In Network vs. Out of Network Rehab Centers
One of the keys to understanding State Farm drug and alcohol treatment coverage is to understand the difference between in-network and out-of-network treatment centers.
Every insurance plan has a group of medical providers and facilities that agree to treat plan members at a lower cost than usual.11, p. 1 What’s a Provider Network That group of providers and facilities is the insurance plan’s network.11, p. 1 What’s a Provider Network
If you use doctors and facilities that are part of the network, you’ll pay less out of pocket.11, p. 2, Why do some plans… In fact, many insurance plans don’t offer any coverage for out-of-network care, so if you choose a treatment program that’s not part of your network you’ll pay the full cost yourself.11, p. 2, Why do some plans…
To maximize your State Farm insurance rehab benefits, focus on finding an in-network treatment center if possible. However, if that’s not possible, remember that there are other options for paying for treatment. What’s important is that you get the care you need as soon as possible.
To find out if a treatment center is in the provider network for your insurance plan, you’ll need to verify your coverage by calling the number on the back of your insurance card or contacting AAC anytime by phone or online.
A better life is possible, and we’d love to help you build it. Contact us today to take the first steps toward freedom from substance use.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). (2019, August). Key substance use and mental health indicators in the United States: results from the 2018 national survey on drug use and health.
- State Farm Insurance. (2022). Individual major medical insurance.
- State Farm Insurance. (2022). Company Overview.
- Healthcare.gov. (n.d.). What Marketplace health insurance plans cover.
- Healthcare.gov. (n.d.). The health plan categories: Bronze, Silver, Gold & Platinum.
- Findtreatment.gov. (2019, October). Treatment Options.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2014). Principles of Adolescent Substance Use Disorder Treatment: A Research-Based Guide: Treatment Settings.
- National Institute of Mental Health. (n.d.). Substance Use and Co-Occurring Mental Disorders.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2020, April). What are the treatments for comorbid substance use disorder and mental health conditions?
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2018, January). Principles of Effective Treatment.
- Marketplace.gov. (2021, May). What you should know about provider networks.
- Insurance Provider Name
- Policy Member's Full Name
- Policy Membership/Subscriber ID
Check your State Farm rehab coverage
American Addiction Centers' locations
Guides for other health insurance providers
- 1199SEIU Funds
- APS Healthcare
- Aetna Insurance
- Ambetter Insurance
- American Family Insurance
- Amerigroup Insurance
- Amerihealth Insurance
- Anthem BlueCross California
- Anthem Insurance
- Assurant Health Insurance
- Beacon Health
- Behavioral Healthcare
- Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Blue Shield of California
- Cigna Insurance
- Community Health Choice
- Cooks Children’s Health Plan
- Emblem Health
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Exclusive Care
- Federal Blue Cross Blue Shield
- First Care
- First Health
- Florida Blue (BCBS Florida)
- GEHA Health Plan
- Geisinger Health Plan
- Harvard Pilgrim
- Health Net
- Health Plan of Nevada
- Horizon BCBS
- Humana Health Insurance