Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama: Rehabs & Detox Centers in AL That Take BCBS
- Access to licensed treatment centers
- Information on treatment plans
- Financial assistance options
Does BCBS of Alabama Insurance Cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab Centers?
If Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama is your health insurance provider, your health plan should cover some of the costs of any addiction treatments you receive, including inpatient alcohol and drug rehab centers. Addiction to drugs and alcohol, known as substance use disorder, is a serious public health issue in the state of Alabama.1
A 2019 study showed that about 5.3% of Alabama residents have alcohol use disorder, and 7.6% have substance use disorder.2, pp 25, 26 Drug and alcohol use can have significant physical, social, and psychological harm to people, families, and communities. Approximately 2,500 Alabama residents died from drug overdoses between 2018 and 2020.3
Addiction treatments can help you stop using drugs and alcohol to improve your health, relationships, and overall well-being. If you are an Alabama Blue Cross Blue Shield (Alabama BCBS) member, you can use your health plan to help cover some of the costs of treatment. This includes detox, inpatient rehab, outpatient rehab, and long-term residential treatment programs.4 Exactly how much coverage is provided depends on your specific plan.
Rehab centers can check your insurance coverage based on the information you provide. Call the American Addiction Centers (AAC) helpline at . If you provide your insurance information, we can verify your coverage while you’re on the phone. Or call the number on the back of your member ID insurance card to ask for the details of your plan’s coverage for addiction treatment.
If you’re short on time, you can complete the simple 2-step form below with your insurance and contact information. We’ll email you within minutes with details about your Alabama BCBS insurance coverage for substance use disorder treatments.
How To Find BCBS of Alabama Covered Inpatient Drug Treatment Centers in AL?
In 2020, 14,781 Alabama residents ages 12 and older received help to overcome addiction at treatment centers in the state.5 This reflects only a small percentage of people who need addiction treatments. As recently as 2018, 11% of Americans with substance use disorder get the treatment they need.6
Fear of discrimination, stigma, poverty, and the isolation of people with substance use disorders are all barriers to seeking treatment.7, p1 2nd paragraph, last 2 sentences As an Alabama Blue Cross Blue Shield member, your health plan will help cover at least some of the costs of any addiction treatments you receive, including inpatient drug and alcohol rehab.4 Call the number on the back of your insurance card to learn more about the details of your plan’s coverage for substance use disorder.
Many American Addiction Center top-notch addiction treatment facilities accept Alabama BCBS health plans to help pay for addiction treatments. With locations across the United States, our supportive treatment centers design individualized treatment plans for each person who accesses addiction care. Our centers provide evidence-based treatments to help you on your road to recovery.
What Is BCBS of Alabama?
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama has provided healthcare coverage for its members since 1936.8 An independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, BCBS of Alabama is one of the most trusted names in the healthcare industry.8
BCBS of Alabama provides healthcare coverage for over 2.8 million members.8 With the lowest average single premium and second-lowest average annual family premium, BCBS of Alabama provides affordable health insurance to ensure members can access the high-quality healthcare they need.8
There are 153 substance abuse treatment facilities in Alabama. Nearly 72% of these facilities accept private health insurance, such as BCBS of Alabama, to help cover the costs of addiction treatments.9, pp 1 and 3
How Much Does BCBS of Alabama Cover Addiction Treatment?
Your BCBS of Alabama health plan may provide coverage for the following addiction treatments:4
Inpatient/residential rehab. Known as residential treatment, inpatient drug and alcohol rehab centers provide room and board while you are enrolled in the program. The length of your stay will depend on your needs. Individual and group therapy are key aspects of inpatient rehab, as well as education classes on addiction, recovery, and healthy coping mechanisms. Trained staff are on-site 24/7 to provide physical and emotional support as needed.
Partial hospitalization programs (PHP). Similar in structure to inpatient programs, PHP programs are highly structured programs that allow you to live at home while in treatment. Most PHP programs take place 5 days a week for 4–6 hours a day. Individual and group therapies are integral aspects of PHP programs, as well as education classes on addiction, recovery, and healthy ways of living.
Outpatient treatment. Outpatient programs vary widely in terms of their time commitment and structure. You can live at home while in an outpatient treatment program, and many take place in the evening hours so you can attend work and care for your family during the day. Many people who complete inpatient rehab programs enter standard outpatient programs for ongoing support in their recovery.
Intensive outpatient (IOP). Intensive outpatient programs generally require attendance 4–6 days a week, 3–4 hours each day. These programs are ideal for people who need highly structured days and significant support but prefer to or need to leave at home while in treatment.
Does Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama Provide Coverage for Inpatient Mental Health Treatment Facilities?
Yes. BCBS of Alabama does provide coverage for mental health treatments and mental health facilities.10 Known as behavioral health benefits, treatments covered for mental health services and substance use disorders include:10
- Inpatient care.
- Outpatient care.
- Individual, group, and family therapy.
- Psychological testing.
- Lab tests.
The Affordable Care Act (ACA) mandates that mental health and substance abuse treatments are considered “essential health benefits” that must be covered for everyone who has health insurance coverage.11 Furthermore, the Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act (MHPAEA) requires all health and substance use treatments to be covered just as medical and surgical care is covered by health insurance companies.12
Nearly 50% of all people who struggle with substance use also have a co-occurring mental health condition, such as anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).13, 2nd para Co-occurring disorders mean a person has 2 conditions at the same time. This is known as “dual diagnosis.”
Many people with mental health conditions often turn to drugs and alcohol to “self-medicate” and reduce the uncomfortable symptoms of living with mental illness.13, under “mental health disorders can contribute” para While one does not cause the other, the 2 conditions can contribute to making the other worse. This is why it is imperative to treat both substance use disorder and any co-occurring mental health conditions at the same time.
Many rehab facilities in Alabama specialize in treating people with dual diagnoses. Getting treatment for both diagnoses at the same time can ensure all of your mental health needs are met and help support your long-term recovery.
How Long Does BCBS of Alabama Insurance Cover Alcohol and Drug Rehab Programs?
Research shows that people who stay in addiction treatment programs for 3 months or more have better outcomes: fewer relapses, higher rates of long-term recovery, and overall improved health and wellbeing.14, bullet 5
With this in mind, it’s important to spend as much time in alcohol and drug rehab programs as recommended by healthcare providers. How long your BCBS of Alabama plan will provide coverage for your rehab stay will depend on the specific health plan you have. Because there are so many different policies and tiers of coverage, the amount of time covered varies from person to person.
Call the number on the back of your insurance card to learn more about how long your BCBS of Alabama insurance will cover alcohol and drug rehab programs.
What if My BCBS of Alabama Policy Does Not Cover an Inpatient Rehab Program?
If you have health coverage from BCBS of Alabama, at least some of your stay at an inpatient drug rehab program will be covered by your health insurance plan. The amount of coverage provided will depend on the specific plan you have. You may have out-of-pocket expenses you are responsible for paying, such as your deductible, copays, and coinsurance.
If you are experiencing financial hardship and will be unable to pay your costs upfront in one lump sum, payment options may help, such as:
- Fundraising and crowdfunding. Ask family and friends to provide financial support to help you on your road to recovery.
- Payment plans. Some rehabs offer payment plans for anyone who attends inpatient rehab and addiction treatments. This gives you the opportunity to pay back your out-of-pocket costs over time. Ask the rehab facility about payment plan options before entering treatment.
- Sliding scale fee. Sliding scale fees are offered by some rehab facilities in order to make addiction treatments more accessible to low-income people. Most sliding scale fees are based on your income and/or insurance coverage. Inquire about sliding scale fees at the rehab center you are considering.
- Scholarships and grants. Scholarships and grants may be provided by rehab facilities to help offset the cost of rehab and other addiction treatments. Government grants and scholarships may be available to those who need financial assistance to get into treatment.15
When money is tight, it’s easy to say you will go to treatment “later” when you can afford it. But getting into treatment now is critical and may even save your life. Most rehab centers are willing to work with you to help you get the treatments you need. With BCBS Alabama health insurance coverage, at least some of the costs of your addiction treatments will be covered by your plan to help relieve some of the financial concerns you may have.
BCBS of Alabama In-Network vs. Out-of-Network Inpatient Rehab Centers
Rehab centers that are in-network with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama will accept insurance coverage as a form of payment to cover the costs of addiction treatments. In-network inpatient rehab centers accept BCBS Alabama health plans to help cover the costs of rehab.
Out-of-network rehab centers are not in the BCBS of Alabama network, and therefore, your out-of-pocket expenses will be considerably higher. First, you must get pre-authorization/approval from your healthcare provider and insurance company before entering an out-of-network rehab center.16, p1 top right box Out-of-network rehab centers are only covered by BCBS Alabama on a short-term basis for crisis interventions.16, p1 top right box
Choosing an in-network rehab center is the best choice to make both for insurance coverage to keep your costs down and for consistency with your provider(s) and treatment facility.
To find an in-network rehab facility, you can call the number on the back of your insurance card to ask for a list of in-network rehab centers. Or use the Blue Cross and Blue Shield national designation program, Blue Distinction Center for Substance Use Treatment and Recovery. This resource details the nationally accredited facilities that are in-network with BCBS across the country and will be covered by your plan.17
American Addiction Centers can verify your insurance coverage by calling and help you find an in-network rehab center that would be a good fit for you.
Rehabs That Take Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama Insurance
American Addiction Centers (AAC) has various rehab facilities around the country that provide drug and alcohol addiction treatment. If you have a Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance plan, the following AAC facilities accept Blue Cross Blue Shield for drug and alcohol addiction rehab.
- AdCare Rhode Island: With various facilities located in Rhode Island, AdCare provides innovative, quality, and cost-efficient addiction treatment. Its integrated system of care offers an inpatient treatment center in North Kingstown and a network of outpatient offices throughout Rhode Island. AdCare’s continuum of care includes detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, inpatient and outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Desert Hope Treatment Center: Located in Las Vegas, Nevada, Desert Hope provides individualized care programs as well as offering a full continuum of care including detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Greenhouse Treatment Center: Located in Grand Prairie, Texas, Greenhouse offers individualized treatment plans and many levels of care including detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, outpatient services, and tele-health, all in a luxurious setting with high-end amenities.
- Laguna Treatment Hospital: Located in Orange County, California, Laguna is a chemical dependency recovery hospital that focuses on treating people who are medically compromised and need 24/7 oversight. Provided care includes detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment inpatient treatment, and intensive outpatient services.
- Oxford Treatment Center: Located in Etta, Mississippi, Oxford offers gender-specific rehab while offering an opportunity to connect with nature and try new activities. Provided care includes detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, inpatient and outpatient treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health, all with individualized treatment programs.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center: Located in Lafayette Township, New Jersey, Sunrise House provides treatment for people suffering from substance abuse from a medical and holistic standpoint. With various evidence-based therapeutic interventions, personalized care is provided through detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, and outpatient services.
There are various treatment programs for individuals struggling with drug or alcohol addiction, so don’t give up if the first program you check out doesn’t meet your individual needs. There are rehabs near me that can provide the treatment you need. Check out the directory to find a list of facilities and programs. You can search by location and filter by Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance.