Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan: Rehabs & Detox Centers in MI That Take Anthem BCBS
- Access to licensed treatment centers
- Information on treatment plans
- Financial assistance options
Does BCBS of Michigan Insurance Cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab Centers?
If you or a loved one is struggling with alcohol or drug addiction, you’re not alone. In the state of Michigan, 9.5% of residents aged 12 or older, which equates to more than 800,000 people, have a drug or alcohol use problem that requires assistance.1 What’s more, over 30% of all emergency room visits are related to drugs or alcohol in the state.1 Getting evidence-based treatment, like rehab, can help lead to sobriety.1
Fortunately, many health plans, including plans offered by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, may cover some or all of the costs of rehab, including inpatient alcohol and drug rehab centers. Plan coverage details will vary, so it’s important to check your coverage before seeking care when possible. To do this, you can call the number on the back of your insurance card. A BCBS of MI plan representative should be able to walk you through your plan details.
Additionally, rehab centers can often check your coverage if you provide basic information. American Addiction Centers is also here to help. You can reach out to AAC through different channels (e.g., helpline, chat, or online benefits verification form) to learn more about your plan.
How to Find BCBS of Michigan Covered Inpatient Drug Treatment Centers in MI?
In the state of Michigan, there are 52 inpatient drug and alcohol treatment centers.2 Treatment at any of these facilities may or may not be covered under your plan, as plan coverage varies. Most plans impose network and other cost-sharing requirements, which means you may be limited to certain facilities to receive care.
AAC is here to help you find a BCBS of MI-covered inpatient drug treatment center. AAC has top-notch treatment facilities across the nation where you can go for short– or long-term treatment programs. AAC works with a variety of insurers, so your BCBS of MI plan may be accepted at one of these facilities.
Even if you cannot attend an AAC facility due to coverage stipulations, AAC can help you find a covered facility near you and instantly check your insurance coverage. You can call the AAC helpline and speak to a real person who can verify your insurance coverage for you while you’re on the phone.
What Is BCBS of Michigan?
Blue Cross Blue Shield Blue Care Network of Michigan is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.3 It is a nonprofit mutual insurance company that came to Michigan in 1939 to regulate prepaid health care plans to make them nonprofit.3, 4 “The beginning of Blue Cross in Michigan” Today, BCBS of Michigan is Michigan’s largest health insurer, with 4.5 million Michigan residents covered under a BCBS of MI plan.3
BCBS of Michigan structures, sells, and manages various health and employee benefit plans for individuals and families, as well as Michigan-based employers.3 Examples of plans that are offered through BCBS of MI include traditional plans, PPO plans, HMO plans, wellness-based plans, HDHPs with health spending accounts, dental and vision plans, pharmacy plans, and international plans.3 BCBS of MI also provides Medicare, Medicaid, and state plans to eligible enrollees.3
In the state of Michigan, there are 651 substance use treatment centers.2 BCBS of MI has the state’s largest network of providers, which includes 152 hospitals and more than 33,000 doctors.3 Despite the large provider network, it is not guaranteed that all of the Michigan drug rehab centers are in-network with your BCBS of MI health plan. As such, you’ll need to check your benefits and coverage before seeking treatment whenever possible.
How Much Does BCBS of Michigan Cover (Addiction Treatment)?
How much addiction treatment is covered under your BCBS of Michigan plan will vary based on your specific plan. Every plan has different tiers and levels of coverage in terms of how it handles any type of health claim, including substance use disorder treatment. Despite this, your BCBS of MI plan may cover some or all of the cost of the following common addiction treatment methods:
- Inpatient/residential rehab. With an inpatient or residential rehab program, you will stay at the facility 24/7 for the duration of your treatment. You’d receive medically supervised care, which, depending on your situation, could include detox. Care could range from days to weeks to months.5, Pg. 8, “What types of treatment programs are available?” Para 2
- Outpatient rehab/therapy. With an outpatient rehab program, you’d receive treatment 1 or 2 times per week at a facility (e.g., outpatient clinic, hospital, office, and more) but return home after the session is done.5, Pg. 10, Para 2
- Intensive outpatient programs (IOP). With an IOP, you’d attend a facility to receive outpatient care for at least 9 hours every week, returning home after each session is completed.5, Pg. 10, Para 3
- Partial hospitalization programs (PHP). With a PHP, you’d receive care at a facility for 4–8 hours per day, multiple days a week. Because of this structure, a PHP is also referred to as a day program.5, Pg. 10, Para 2
Just because these are common addiction treatment methods doesn’t mean that they may be the right treatment method for you, nor does it mean your insurance is guaranteed to cover them. Be sure to listen to the treatment laid out by your provider and to check your insurance benefits before seeking care whenever possible.
Does Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Provide Coverage for Mental Health Treatment Facilities?
In the United States, there is a federal health care reform law called the Affordable Care Act, which mandates that almost all U.S. health plans provide insurance coverage for certain services, known as essential health benefits (EHBs).6 Mental and behavioral health services, including substance use disorder treatment, are 1 of the 10 EHBs, which means that your BCBS of Michigan plan must provide coverage in some capacity for such services.7
Approximately 17 million U.S. adults experience a co-occurring disorder, which is when someone has a substance use disorder and a mental illness.8 While one does not directly cause the other, having a mental illness increases the risk of developing a substance use disorder and vice versa.9 Because the 2 are interconnected, an integrated treatment approach, where both conditions are treated at the same time, is usually recommended. 8 “What should I do?”
Please note that, although most plans are required to provide some type of coverage for these services, your coverage may vary. You may also only receive coverage if you use certain providers. To avoid surprise medical bills or high out-of-pocket costs, please check your coverage before seeking care whenever possible.
Does Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Cover Addiction Treatment Therapies?
Many addiction treatment therapies are covered under BCBS of MI and Blue Care Network health insurance plans.10 Specifically, preventive screenings for behavioral assessments are generally covered with no copay.10 Additionally, the following services are covered as a part of most health plans offered by BCBS of Michigan, but a copay could be required:10
- Substance use disorder treatment
- Mental and behavioral health inpatient services
- Psychiatric evaluation and treatment
- Behavioral health treatment (e.g., counseling and psychotherapy)
- Specialty services, including types of therapy
What specific services may be covered and for how much will depend on your specific plan’s benefits and coverage. To find out what’s covered under your specific plan, learn what your plan’s requirements for getting treatment are and how much your plan will pay for treatment. This will give you an idea of how much you’ll need to pay out of pocket. To do this, you can log in to your BCBS of MI account and check your coverage on the website or mobile app.10
You can also call one of the following numbers, separated by plan type, to talk to a case manager who can help explain your benefits.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan PPO members: 1-800-762-2382
- Blue Care Network HMO members: 1-800-482-5982
- Medicare Plus Blue PPO: 1-888-803-4960
- BCN Advantage HMO and HMO-POS: 1-800-431-1059
How Long Does BCBS of Michigan Insurance Cover Alcohol and Drug Rehab Programs?
The length of time that your Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan substance abuse treatment coverage will cover alcohol and drug rehab programs will vary. Because there are many different types of policies and tiers of coverage, the length of time covered by the insurance provider will depend upon that person’s plan. You can check your coverage by looking up the information on your insurance card or by calling the number on the back of the card.
Despite insurance coverage details, it’s important to note that staying in treatment for an appropriate amount of time is pivotal to the success of treatment.11 Your provider(s) will determine a treatment plan length, which may change as you progress through treatment, based on your unique situation.
While everyone’s needs are different, many experts agree that programs should last at least 3 months.11, bullet 5 This 3-month treatment length recommendation shows that patients are more likely to reduce or stop drug use. Overall, the outcomes of treatment typically improve after this amount of time.11, bullet 5
What if My BCBS of Michigan Policy Does Not Cover an Inpatient Rehab Program?
Your Blue Cross Blue Shield Michigan benefits may not fully or partially cover an inpatient drug rehab program in Michigan due to many factors. Depending on the rehab center you choose, there may be payment options, such as financing or scholarship options available to you. Be sure to ask the rehab facility whether either of these options or any other options are offered at their facility. No matter what, getting the treatment you need right now is critical rather than pushing it down the road.
BCBS of Michigan In-Network vs. Out-of-Network Inpatient Rehab Centers
Knowing the difference between BCBS of MI in-network and out-of-network providers, including inpatient drug rehab centers, can help you save money. Under BCBS of MI plans, doctors, hospitals, and other providers who accept BCBS of MI plans are called in-network providers.12 para 1
Providers that don’t accept your plan are referred to as out-of-network providers.12, para 1 Whether your plan kicks in to help pay for the care you receive from a provider and the cost of that care are the main differences between the 2 plans.12, para 1
When you use an in-network provider, they’ve already agreed to accept the approved BCBS of MI amount.12, in-network savings This means that a provider may typically charge $200 for a visit, but because they’re in-network, they’ve agreed to accept the approved about of $130, which already saves you $70.12, in-network savings
If a provider doesn’t accept the plan’s approved amount, you’ll be responsible for paying for the full amount or the difference between their charge and the approved amount, which is a practice called balance billing.12, in-network savings
Depending on the plan you have, you may or may not have any coverage for out-of-network providers. BCBS of MI HMO plans will not provide coverage for out-of-network providers unless you’re experiencing a medical emergency.12, PPO vs HMO PPO plans include out-of-network benefits but at a lower rate than in-network benefits.12, PPO vs HMO
Before you go to a rehab center, it’s best to verify your benefits. You can use the “Find A Doctor” tool on the BCBS of MI website or mobile app, or you can ask the facility itself whether it accepts your health plan.12, How to find in-network providers
Rehabs That Take Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Insurance
American Addiction Centers (AAC) has various rehab facilities around the country that provide drug and alcohol addiction treatment. If you have a Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance plan, the following AAC facilities accept Blue Cross Blue Shield for drug and alcohol addiction rehab.
- AdCare Rhode Island: With various facilities located in Rhode Island, AdCare provides innovative, quality, and cost-efficient addiction treatment. Its integrated system of care offers an inpatient treatment center in North Kingstown and a network of outpatient offices throughout Rhode Island. AdCare’s continuum of care includes detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, inpatient and outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Desert Hope Treatment Center: Located in Las Vegas, Nevada, Desert Hope provides individualized care programs as well as offering a full continuum of care including detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Greenhouse Treatment Center: Located in Grand Prairie, Texas, Greenhouse offers individualized treatment plans and many levels of care including detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, outpatient services, and tele-health, all in a luxurious setting with high-end amenities.
- Laguna Treatment Hospital: Located in Orange County, California, Laguna is a chemical dependency recovery hospital that focuses on treating people who are medically compromised and need 24/7 oversight. Provided care includes detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment inpatient treatment, and intensive outpatient services.
- Oxford Treatment Center: Located in Etta, Mississippi, Oxford offers gender-specific rehab while offering an opportunity to connect with nature and try new activities. Provided care includes detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, inpatient and outpatient treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health, all with individualized treatment programs.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center: Located in Lafayette Township, New Jersey, Sunrise House provides treatment for people suffering from substance abuse from a medical and holistic standpoint. With various evidence-based therapeutic interventions, personalized care is provided through detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, and outpatient services.
There are various treatment programs for individuals struggling with drug or alcohol addiction, so don’t give up if the first program you check out doesn’t meet your individual needs. There are rehabs near me that can provide the treatment you need. Check out the directory to find a list of facilities and programs. You can search by location and filter by Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance.
How to Verify BCBS of Michigan Insurance Coverage of Rehab Centers?
There are a handful of ways that you can verify your BCBS of Michigan insurance coverage of drug treatment centers in Michigan. American Addiction Centers is here to help you verify your benefits and learn more about your plan. You can call our confidential helpline and speak to an admissions navigator who can check your benefits right while you’re on the phone. They can also help you find a nearby covered rehab facility, which could include a top-notch AAC facility near you. Don’t wait any longer to get started—call us today.