American Family Insurance Coverage for Drug and Alcohol Rehab
Does American Family Insurance Cover Alcohol and Drug Rehab?
Having an American Family Healthcare plan will help you with coverage for a substance use issue. If you need to check into an alcohol or drug rehab facility, you can access the American Family Health Plan.
American Family Healthcare offers marketplace insurance plans in a range of options, including coverage for individuals, families, and groups.1 Marketplace healthcare plans are part of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and must follow its mandates. One of the mandates includes providing coverage for mental health and substance use disorders.2
You can contact the rehab center directly to make sure they are in network with American Family before moving forward. They can provide you with all the information you need and verify your insurance coverage based on the information you give over the phone. Additionally, you can call the number on your insurance card for more information about your specific plan.
Check American Family Insurance Coverage for Addiction Treatment
American Addiction Centers (AAC) can verify your insurance coverage if you contact them. AAC has quality facilities located across the country that may be in-network with American Family insurance. Whether you are struggling with alcohol or drugs, you can find a treatment plan that works for you by using American Family insurance coverage. Just fill out the form with your information and find out right away whether your insurance covers substance abuse treatment at an AAC facility.
Go ahead and give AAC’s helpline a call and talk to an admissions navigator about your insurance benefits today.
What Is American Family Insurance?
American Family Insurance has a goal to be the most trusted name in insurance.3 In addition, American Family provides insurance for about every category of need a person would have, including health insurance.3 They are like a one-stop shop when it comes to insurance needs.
The American Family Insurance company has been around for decades.3 It all began with Farmers Mutual, and in the 1950s, American Family branched off from there with a life insurance company.3 By the ‘60s, the name change was finalized, and Farmers Mutual became American Family.3
American Family Health Plans
American Family insurance coverage gives members access to the following types of insurance health plans:4
- Individual and family health plan
- Group health plan
- Medicare supplement plan
- Short-term health plan
- Supplemental coverage options
Members may use these various insurance health plans to seek addiction treatment.
What Will American Family Insurance Cover?
Moving forward to the path of recovery means you might be ready to enter a substance use rehab center. If you are considering using your American Family insurance behavioral health coverage for substance use treatment, you may wonder what types of services and treatments are covered. First, you must determine what type of drug treatment program you may need for your needs. An admissions navigator can guide you in knowing what treatment program is right for you. There are different levels of care that address where you are in your recovery journey.
No matter what program you decide to go into, your American Family rehab insurance should help pay for some or all of them. These treatment programs are as follows:
- Inpatient treatment program: An inpatient treatment program may serve as a starting point for many patients. This treatment regimen is like a residential program because patients will live at the rehab until the treatment is complete. For some people, it can be 30 days, while others may stay up to a year. In the rehab center, patients will receive therapeutic care, medication if needed, and around-the-clock supervision.5(inpatient)
- Partial hospitalization program (PHP): During a PHP, patients will stay at the rehab facility for an extended period but go home at night. It operates similarly to an inpatient program. Patients will participate in different types of therapy sessions and prepare to live successfully on their own.6(partial)
- Intensive outpatient program (IOP): An IOP assists patients with the tools of recovery so that they can live successfully on their own. The program involves going to therapy sessions for a few days a week and can be flexible enough to fit the patient’s schedule. 5(outpatient)
- Outpatient treatment program and therapy: A regular outpatient treatment program consists of therapy sessions approximately once or twice a week to assist with the continual journey of sobriety. 5(outpatient)
You can call a rehab facility or AAC to obtain American Family Insurance verification. It only takes a few minutes or less, and you’ll have your answer.
Does American Family Insurance Cover Mental Health Care Treatment Facilities?
Mental health disorders are common alongside substance use disorders. Technically, a substance use disorder is classified as a mental health disorder.7 Many people with substance misuse also have other mental health issues, such as anxiety disorder, depression, ADHD, trauma-related disorders, and so on. Having co-occurring disorders can compound problems and cause difficulties.7 It’s best to seek a treatment program that will address both conditions together.7 That way, it can help reduce a relapse because you will get treatment for both issues.7
Due to the ACA’s mandates, as stated above, your American Family insurance benefits can’t deny you from seeking treatment for substance use.8 They must allow coverage for all mental health and substance use disorders.8
How Long Does American Family Insurance Cover Rehab?
Determining the length of time that you need to spend in an American Family insurance for addiction treatment facility is something you will have to discuss with a substance use treatment advisor. You will work closely with a case manager who can develop an appropriate treatment plan that addresses your needs and supports your goals for recovery.
The amount of coverage time you will have with American Family insurance drug rehab depends on many factors. You can contact the number on the back of your card for more details about the specifics of your plan. Some variables can affect what will be covered and for how long. For example, the type of program you go into and how long you stay. Also, you may have copays and coinsurance that can cost out-of-pocket money. These vary depending on your plan.
Whatever your specific policy allows, experts recommend that you stay in rehab for at least 90 days.9
What if My American Family Policy Does Not Cover Rehab?
If you find out that your American Family insurance rehabilitation coverage won’t take care of your inpatient rehab stay or it won’t cover the full 90 days, what can you do? You can still move ahead and act. Contact any of the American Family Insurance rehab centers near you and find out if they offer scholarships, financial aid, or financial payment arrangements. They may have a sliding scale fee cost reduction for services or not charge for those who can’t pay. It never hurts to inquire about what your payment options are.
Don’t delay seeking help from one of the American Family Insurance drug treatment programs. Holding off on our health will only cause greater harm.
American Family Insurance In-Network vs. Out-of-Network Rehab & Detox Centers
When you take the step to find a rehab facility, be sure you check for the ones that are with in-network American Family Insurance drug treatment providers. The in-network providers are the ones that contract directly with your insurance, which gives them the best rates. That allows you to receive services without having to pay the extra costs associated with out-of-network facilities.
Since American Family Insurance drug detox treatment nationwide is available, you shouldn’t have any difficulties finding a rehab near you that takes your insurance. Contact AAC, and they can find an in-network facility for you.
- American Family Insurance. (2022). Health Coverages.
- HealthCare.gov. (n.d.). Mental health & substance abuse coverage.
- American Family Insurance. (2022). Our story.
- American Family Insurance. (2022). Health FAQs.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2019). Treatment approaches for drug addiction DrugFacts.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2020). Treatment settings.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2018). Comorbidity: substance use disorders and other mental illnesses drugFacts.
- HealthCare.gov. (n.d.). What marketplace health insurance plans cover.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2020). Principles of effective treatment.
- Insurance Provider Name
- Policy Member's Full Name
- Policy Membership/Subscriber ID
Check your American Family Insurance rehab coverage
American Addiction Centers' locations
Guides for other health insurance providers
- 1199SEIU Funds
- APS Healthcare
- Aetna Insurance
- Ambetter Insurance
- American Family Insurance
- Amerigroup Insurance
- Amerihealth Insurance
- Anthem BlueCross California
- Anthem Insurance
- Assurant Health Insurance
- Beacon Health
- Behavioral Healthcare
- Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Blue Shield of California
- Cigna Insurance
- Community Health Choice
- Cooks Children’s Health Plan
- Emblem Health
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Exclusive Care
- Federal Blue Cross Blue Shield
- First Care
- First Health
- Florida Blue (BCBS Florida)
- GEHA Health Plan
- Geisinger Health Plan
- Harvard Pilgrim
- Health Net
- Health Plan of Nevada
- Horizon BCBS
- Humana Health Insurance