Arkansas Blue Cross Blue Shield: Rehabs & Detox Centers in AR That Take BCBS
- Access to licensed treatment centers
- Information on treatment plans
- Financial assistance options
Does BCBS of Arkansas Insurance Cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab Centers?
If you or a loved one are struggling with alcohol or drug use, you are not alone. In Arkansas, 5.2% of the population reported having alcohol use disorder in 2019.1 In that same year, nearly 3% reported addiction to illicit drugs, such as heroin, cocaine, and methamphetamines.1
Addiction to drugs and alcohol touches every part of a person’s life, including mental and physical health, relationships, and work. Sometimes, substance use can be fatal. In 2019, 388 Arkansas residents died of a drug overdose.2
It doesn’t have to be this way. Getting treatment for substance use disorders can help you break free from addiction to improve your health and well-being, and may even save your life.
If Arkansas Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) is your health insurance provider, your health plan should cover some of the cost of addiction treatment, including detox, inpatient rehab, outpatient rehab, and long-term residential treatment programs.3 Call the number on the back of your member ID insurance card to inquire about the details of your plan’s coverage for substance use disorder treatment.
You can also call the rehab center(s) you are considering directly. American Addiction Centers (AAC) has a 24/7 helpline you can call at . Our admissions navigators can verify your insurance coverage for you while you’re on the phone. You can also complete the 2-step form below with your contact and insurance information. We’ll send you an email minutes later with details about your Arkansas BCBS plan coverage for addiction treatments.
How to Find BCBS of Arkansas Covered Inpatient Drug Treatment Centers in AK?
In 2019, 13,735 Arkansas residents aged 12 and older entered a treatment center for help with addiction to drugs and/or alcohol.4 But this number represents only a small number of Arkansas residents who need treatment. Research shows that only 11% of Americans living with substance use disorder get the treatment they need.5
Some people don’t know where to turn for help, and some may not know what type of treatments are available. Financial concerns may also be a barrier to accessing addiction treatment, which one study found is a concern in 25% of people who struggle with drug and alcohol use.6
As an Arkansas BCBS member, rest assured that at least some of your treatment costs, including inpatient drug and alcohol rehab, will be covered by your insurance plan.3 Call the number on the back of your insurance card to learn more about what your plan will cover for addiction treatments.
You can request to be connected to Arkansas Blue Cross Blue Shield’s New Directions Behavioral Health team, staffed 24/7 by licensed clinicians. They will listen to your concerns, assess your potential treatment needs, share potential treatments that may be beneficial for you, and help you find a treatment center that will meet your needs.7
American Addiction Centers has top-notch addiction treatment facilities throughout the nation. Many of our treatment centers accept Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance to help cover the costs of treatment. Search through the listing of our facilities that use evidence-based treatments to provide personalized care to help you or your loved one on the road to recovery.
What is BCBS of Arkansas?
Arkansas Blue Cross and Blue Shield is a health insurance company that has provided affordable, reliable health insurance plans for Arkansas residents for more than 70 years.8 An Independent Licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, Arkansas BCBS is a member of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, a federation of 36 independent, locally-operated Blue Cross and Blue Shield Plans throughout the United States.8
Arkansas BCBS is the largest health insurer in the state.8 The company provides health and dental insurance policies for individuals, families, and employer-based insurance groups.8 As a not-for-profit mutual insurance company, nearly all of the money the company collects is paid out in benefits for its members.8 The company’s mission is simple: “Improve the health, financial security, and peace of mind of the members and communities we serve.”8
There are 167 addiction treatment facilities in the state of Arkansas, and 135 of these centers accept private health insurance coverage, such as Arkansas BCBS, as a form of payment for all treatments received.9, pp 1 and 3
How Much Does BCBS of Arkansas Cover (Addiction Treatment)?
There is a wide range of addiction treatments available, and the type of treatment you or your loved one access will depend on your specific needs. It can be helpful to consider certain factors when you are deciding which type of addiction treatment may work best, such as:
- The types of substances you are using (e.g., drugs, alcohol).
- How long you’ve been using.
- How often you use the substances.
- Your previous attempts to quit and/or withdrawal experiences and symptoms.
- Whether you have support from family and friends.
- Your home/living environment (e.g., is it a calm, supportive space?).
- What your primary care doctor recommends.
Types of Addiction Treatments covered by Arkansas BCBS
Your Arkansas BCBS health plan may provide coverage for the following addiction treatments:3
- Inpatient/residential rehab. Inpatient rehab, often referred to as residential treatment, gives you a place to live, sleep and eat while you are in treatment. How long you stay in inpatient rehab will depend on your needs and the rehab center program recommendations. Individual, group, and family therapies are offered in most inpatient rehab programs, as well as education on addiction, recovery, and healthy coping strategies. Staff is onsite 24/7 at an inpatient rehab to provide ongoing physical and emotional support as needed.
- Partial hospitalization programs (PHP). Partial hospitalization programs are similar in structure to inpatient programs, but you can live at home while enrolled in a PHP. Most require a time commitment of 4–6 hours a day approximately 5 days a week. Individual, group, and family therapies are typically offered as well as education classes on addiction and recovery.
- Outpatient treatment. There are a wide variety of outpatient programs, which vary in terms of the required time commitment and participation. You may live at home while enrolled in an outpatient rehab program, and many are held in the evening hours so you can spend time at work and with family during the daytime. Outpatient programs are often the next step after completing an inpatient/residential rehab program.
- Intensive outpatient (IOP). Intensive outpatient programs are time-intensive, and typically require you to attend the program 4–6 days a week for 3–4 hours per day. Some are held in the daytime hours, others in the evenings. These programs are for people who prefer to live at home but require significant support to aid them on their road to recovery. As the name implies, intensive outpatient programs are time-intensive, but you may still live at home while enrolled in treatment.
Does Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arkansas Provide Coverage for Inpatient Mental Health Facilities?
Arkansas Blue Cross Blue Shield does provide coverage for mental health facilities.10 Mental health and substance use disorder services, including behavioral health treatment, are among the 10 essential health benefits that are covered by all Arkansas BCBS gold, silver, and bronze health plans.10
Two laws in the United States are in place to ensure coverage is provided for these treatments—this includes the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and The Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act (MHPAEA).11, 12 The ACA mandates that all treatments for mental health and substance use disorders must be covered, at least partially, by all health insurance companies, including Arkansas BCBS.11 The MHPAEA is a law that states all mental health and substance use treatments must be treated and covered in the same way medical and surgical care is covered by insurance companies.12
As an Arkansas BCBS member, there is no annual or lifetime dollar limit on any mental health treatments you receive, so you can access mental health treatments as needed without worrying about the financial impact.10
If you have a mental health diagnosis, such as depression, bipolar disorder, anxiety, or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) along with substance use disorder, this is known as a “dual diagnosis.” About half of all people with substance use disorder also have a co-occurring mental health condition. 13, 2nd para
Substance use and addiction occur so frequently in people with mental health conditions because many people turn to drugs and alcohol as a way to “self-medicate” and reduce the symptoms of their mental illness.13, under “mental health disorders can contribute” para While addiction doesn’t cause mental illness and vice versa, the two conditions can contribute to worsening the other.
Treating both mental health conditions and substance use disorder at the same time is important to help support your long-term recovery. Many addiction rehab facilities in Arkansas provide treatments for people with a co-occurring mental health diagnosis. These facilities use integrated therapeutic approaches and evidence-based treatments to address and treat both conditions at the same time.
How Long Does BCBS Of Arkansas Insurance Cover Alcohol and Drug Rehab programs?
The duration of your stay in an alcohol and drug rehab program will depend on your care needs, the severity of your addiction, your dual diagnosis status, and the types of treatment you need. How long your BCBS of Arkansas health plan will cover alcohol and drug rehab programs depends on the specific plan you have. Because there is such a wide variety of policies and tiers of coverage, the length of time your health plan covers your stay may depend on your plan.
Even if your insurance coverage does not pay for your entire stay in an inpatient rehab program, it is important to complete the program as recommended. Studies show that people who stay in addiction treatment programs for 3 months or longer have better outcomes: fewer relapses, a higher chance of long-term recovery, and overall improved wellbeing.14, bullet 5
Call the number on the back of your insurance card to speak with an Arkansas BCBS customer service agent. You can ask about your plan’s coverage for inpatient rehab, including how long coverage will be provided.
What If My BCBS Of Arkansas Policy Does Not Cover An Inpatient Drug Rehab Program?
As an Arkansas BCBS member, know that at least some of your inpatient drug rehab program will be covered by your health insurance plan. Exactly what is covered depends on the specific plan you have. You may be responsible for paying certain out-of-pocket expenses, including your deductible, copays, and coinsurance.
If you need to pay out of pocket for some treatment costs but don’t have the financial means to pay in one lump sum, there are payment options to consider, including:
- Fundraising and crowdfunding. Your family members and friends may chip in to help cover your costs to provide their support and help you get the treatment you need.
- Payment plans. Many rehab facilities offer payment plans that give you the opportunity to pay back the costs of treatment over time, similar to your monthly rent or mortgage. Ask the rehab facility if they offer payment plan options before you enter treatment.
- Sliding scale fee. Some rehab facilities also offer sliding scale fees, which means the amount you pay out-of-pocket for treatment will be based on your financial situation, such as your income. The lower your income, the lower your personal expenses should be at these rehabs.
- Scholarships and grants. Rehab facilities often provide scholarships to low-income individuals without adequate insurance coverage for rehab and addiction treatments. Some government programs offer grants and scholarships to people who require financial assistance in order to get into treatment.
Getting into treatment now is vital. The finances will be worked out, and most rehab centers are happy to help you heal from substance misuse, no matter your financial situation. The money can be worked out with the help of the rehab center, but your mental and physical health can’t wait. If you are an Arkansas BCBS member, know that at least some of the costs of your addiction treatments will be covered by your plan.
BCBS Of Arkansas In-Network vs. Out of Network Inpatient Rehab Centers
Rehab centers that are in-network with Arkansas Blue Cross Blue Shield have an agreement with the insurance company to provide addiction treatments, including inpatient rehab, to members at a discounted cost. When you choose an in-network, inpatient drug rehab center, it will be much easier for insurance coverage to kick in and help pay for treatments. This also means your out-of-pocket expenses will be significantly lower than if you choose an out-of-network rehab center.
The Blue Cross and Blue Shield national designation program, Blue Distinction Center for Substance Use Treatment and Recovery, offers a list of nationally accredited facilities that are in-network with BCBS of Arkansas and have been proven to provide patient-focused, evidence-based treatments.15
Out-of-network rehab centers do not have an agreement with Arkansas BCBS. Therefore, these rehab centers will not provide addiction treatments at a discounted rate. In some cases, your health plan may not cover any addiction treatments provided at an out-of-network rehab facility, depending on the plan you have.
Call the number on the back of your insurance member ID card to ask for rehab centers in Arkansas that are in-network with BCBS. You can also call the rehab center directly to ask if they accept Arkansas BCBS insurance plans to help pay for treatment.