Blue Cross Blue Shield of Oklahoma: Rehabs & Detox Centers in OK That Take BCBS
- Access to licensed treatment centers
- Information on treatment plans
- Financial assistance options
Does BCBS of Oklahoma Insurance Cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab Centers?
Yes, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Oklahoma (BCBSOK) provides coverage for inpatient alcohol and drug rehab centers. BCBS Oklahoma integrates behavioral health care (e.g., mental health and substance use treatments) into the medical care management program to help members easily access the behavioral health treatments they need.1
As a Blue Cross Blue Shield of Oklahoma member, your health plan should provide at least some coverage for drug and alcohol addiction treatments, including detox, inpatient rehab, outpatient rehab, and long-term residential treatment programs.1
Rehab centers can check your health insurance coverage for you. Call to talk to an admissions navigator, who can verify your insurance coverage and answer any questions you have about substance use disorder treatments while you’re on the phone. Or complete the 2-step form below, providing your contact and insurance information. We’ll email you within minutes with details about your Blue Cross Blue Shield of OK plan’s coverage for addiction treatments.
Or, call the number on the back of your insurance card to speak with a customer service representative. Ask for details about your plan’s coverage for addiction treatments, and what you may be responsible for paying out of pocket.
In 2019, 14,716 Oklahoma residents entered a treatment center for help with drug and alcohol addiction.2 But this number reflects only a small percentage of people in OK living with substance use disorders. Only about 1 in 10 people with substance use disorder receive any type of treatment.3
BCBS of Oklahoma provides coverage for members with substance use disorders to help cover the costs and make treatment more accessible to those who need it. Out of the 195 addiction treatment facilities in Oklahoma, 110 accept private health insurance plans as a form of payment.4,pp 225-227 Many inpatient drug treatment centers should accept your BCBS of OK health plan to help pay for treatments.
American Addiction Centers (AAC) has a number of top-notch treatment centers near Oklahoma. Oxford Treatment Center in Etta, Mississippi, provides high-quality, evidence-based addiction treatment in combination with amenities on our beautiful, serene campus.
Call the number on the back of your insurance card to learn more about what your health plan covers for addiction treatments. In addition to sharing details about your plan’s coverage, BCBS of Oklahoma can connect you to its case management program, which helps coordinate care for members with mental health and substance use disorders.1
You can also call our 24/7 helpline at to chat with an admissions specialist who will check your benefits right while you’re on the phone. You can also ask questions about what to expect while in an inpatient rehab program or how insurance coverage works once you enter treatment.
What Is BCBS of Oklahoma?
As the state’s largest and oldest private health insurer, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Oklahoma has been providing healthcare coverage to Oklahomans for over 79 years.5 More than 825,000 Oklahomans are covered under BCBS of OK health plans.5
A division of Health Care Service Corporation (HCSC), BCBS of Oklahoma members have access to the largest network of physicians and hospitals in the state.6 BCBS OK is also an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, a nationwide federation of 34 independent, community-based, and locally operated BCBS companies that provide health coverage for 1 in 3 Americans.5
How Much Does BCBS of Oklahoma Cover (Addiction Treatment)?
There is no single treatment for substance use disorders. The type of treatment you receive for addiction to drugs and/or alcohol will depend on your needs, personal preferences, and the recommendation of your healthcare provider. Before you choose a treatment program, there are certain factors to spend time thinking about that include:
- The substances you use and how frequently you use them.
- How long you’ve been using substances.
- The level of support you have from family/friends/your community.
- Your previous quit attempts and withdrawal experiences.
- Your current living environment (e.g., is it supportive and safe?).
Your BCBS of Oklahoma plan may cover the following addiction treatments:7
Inpatient/residential rehab. Also known as residential treatment, inpatient rehab programs provide room and board along with evidence-based treatments, including individual therapy, group therapy, and education classes about addiction and recovery. Peer support groups are also a key element of many inpatient rehab programs.
Partial hospitalization programs (PHP). Programs that require a similar time commitment as inpatient rehab, but you can live at home while you are enrolled. Most PHP programs are held 5 days a week for 4–6 hours a day. Individual and group therapy as well as education on recovery and healthy living are incorporated into these programs.
Outpatient treatment. Standard outpatient programs allow you to live at home. Many are held in the evening so you can attend to work and family responsibilities during the day. Outpatient programs are often the next step in the journey to recovery after completing an inpatient program. Individual and group therapy are key elements of standard outpatient programs.
Intensive outpatient (IOP). Time-intensive outpatient programs that allow you to live at home while in the program. Most IOPs are held approximately 4–6 days a week, 3–4 hours each day. Individual and group therapy as well as education classes on addiction, recovery, and healthy living are a part of most IOPs.
Does Blue Cross Blue Shield of Oklahoma Provide Coverage for Inpatient Mental Health Treatment Facilities?
Yes, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Oklahoma provides coverage for any treatment members seek at mental health facilities.1 The United States has 2 laws in place that require all health insurance companies to provide coverage for mental health treatments and substance use disorder treatments.
The Affordable Care Act (ACA) mandates that all health insurance providers must provide at least partial coverage for all mental health and substance use disorder treatments.8
The Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act (MHPAEA) states that health insurance plan benefits must cover mental health and substance abuse treatments just as they cover medical and surgical care.9
Many people with substance use disorder have co-occurring mental health conditions, such as anxiety, bipolar disorder, depression, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).10, 2nd para This is known as “dual diagnosis.” Drug and alcohol use is common in people with mental health conditions. Approximately 50% of all people with a mental illness turn to substances as a means of coping and “self-medicating” to reduce their symptoms.10, 2nd para & under “mental health disorders can contribute” para,
Unfortunately, using drugs and alcohol to cope with mental illness can end up making your mental health worse in the long run. Rehab centers in and around Oklahoma provide dual diagnosis treatments. These centers take an integrated approach, using evidence-based treatments to address and treat both conditions at the same time. By getting treatment for both substance use disorder and any co-occurring mental health condition you have, you may reduce the risk of relapse and increase your chances of long-term recovery.
How Long Does BCBS of Oklahoma Insurance Cover Alcohol and Drug Rehab Programs?
The length of time you spend in rehab will depend on your needs and the treatment program chosen. Facts that will be considered include the severity of your addiction, the types of treatments you need, and what healthcare professionals recommend to optimize your outcome.
How long your BCBS of Oklahoma health plan covers alcohol and drug rehab programs depends on your specific plan. There are many different types of health plan policies and tiers of coverage, so exactly how long your insurance will cover your stay in rehab depends on the plan you have and any limitations mentioned in your Statement of Benefits.
Call the number on the back of your insurance card to speak with a BCBS of OK representative and ask about any time limitations your plan may have for the duration of your stay in rehab, and how long coverage is provided.
It is important to stay in rehab for as long as recommended and complete the program you enroll in. Research shows that addiction treatment programs that last 3 months or longer improve the patient’s long-term outcomes. By staying in rehab for the entire duration of your program, you may have fewer instances of relapse and an overall improved sense of well-being. 11, bullet 5
What if My BCBS of Oklahoma Policy Does Not Cover an Inpatient Rehab Program?
As a BCBS of Oklahoma member, you can be certain that at least some of the costs of your stay in an inpatient drug rehab program will be covered by your health insurance plan. However, depending on the specific plan you have, there may still be some out-of-pocket expenses, such as your deductible, copays, and coinsurance.
If you do not have the financial means to cover the costs you are responsible for paying, there are several payment options that can help cover your out-of-pocket expenses.
- Fundraising and crowdfunding. Your family members and friends want to see you healthy. If they have the means, ask if they would be willing to make a donation or help cover some of the costs of your addiction treatments.
- Payment plans. Many rehab facilities provide financing options and payment plans that give you the opportunity to pay back your costs over time.
- Sliding scale fees. Some rehabs offer sliding scale fees, so the amount you pay will depend on your financial situation and insurance coverage.
- Scholarships and grants. Many rehab centers offer scholarships to low-income people who have no health insurance or inadequate coverage. Some government programs provide grants and scholarships to those who require financial assistance for rehab and other addiction treatments.
No matter what your financial situation is, getting into treatment is vital to your health. Your life is important and invaluable, and the finances can and will be worked out. If you are a BCBS Oklahoma member, take comfort in knowing that at least some of the costs of your addiction treatments will be covered by your health plan.
BCBS of Oklahoma In Network vs. Out of Network Inpatient Rehab Centers
Before you choose a rehab program, check to make sure it is in network with Oklahoma BCBC. A rehab that is in network accepts your health insurance coverage because your health insurance company has added the rehab to its network of accepted providers.
The Blue Cross and Blue Shield national designation program, Blue Distinction Center for Substance Use Treatment and Recovery, provides a list of nationally accredited facilities that are in network with BCBS OK.12 These rehab centers have been proven to provide patient-focused, evidence-based treatments.12
Working with an in-network rehab center is the best way to ensure that your treatment will at least be partially covered by your health plan and help keep your out-of-pocket costs down.
Out-of-network rehab centers are not within the BCBS network and any treatment you receive at one of these facilities may not be covered by your BCBS of Oklahoma plan. If you choose to go to rehab at an out-of-network facility, your plan may not cover the costs of any addiction treatments, depending on the specific health plan you have.
Call the number on the back of your BCBS of OK member ID card to ask for a list of in-network rehab centers. Or, call the rehab center directly to ask if they accept Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Oklahoma insurance plans as a form of payment. Our helpline at is open 24/7. We’re happy to verify your insurance coverage, answer your questions about treatments, and get you started on the admissions process.
Rehabs That Take Blue Cross Blue Shield of Oklahoma Insurance
American Addiction Centers (AAC) has various rehab facilities around the country that provide drug and alcohol addiction treatment. If you have a Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance plan, the following AAC facilities accept Blue Cross Blue Shield for drug and alcohol addiction rehab.
- AdCare Rhode Island: With various facilities located in Rhode Island, AdCare provides innovative, quality, and cost-efficient addiction treatment. Its integrated system of care offers an inpatient treatment center in North Kingstown and a network of outpatient offices throughout Rhode Island. AdCare’s continuum of care includes detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, inpatient and outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Desert Hope Treatment Center: Located in Las Vegas, Nevada, Desert Hope provides individualized care programs as well as offering a full continuum of care including detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Greenhouse Treatment Center: Located in Grand Prairie, Texas, Greenhouse offers individualized treatment plans and many levels of care including detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, outpatient services, and tele-health, all in a luxurious setting with high-end amenities.
- Laguna Treatment Hospital: Located in Orange County, California, Laguna is a chemical dependency recovery hospital that focuses on treating people who are medically compromised and need 24/7 oversight. Provided care includes detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment inpatient treatment, and intensive outpatient services.
- Oxford Treatment Center: Located in Etta, Mississippi, Oxford offers gender-specific rehab while offering an opportunity to connect with nature and try new activities. Provided care includes detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, inpatient and outpatient treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health, all with individualized treatment programs.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center: Located in Lafayette Township, New Jersey, Sunrise House provides treatment for people suffering from substance abuse from a medical and holistic standpoint. With various evidence-based therapeutic interventions, personalized care is provided through detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, and outpatient services.
There are various treatment programs for individuals struggling with drug or alcohol addiction, so don’t give up if the first program you check out doesn’t meet your individual needs. There are rehabs near me that can provide the treatment you need. Check out the directory to find a list of facilities and programs. You can search by location and filter by Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance.