BCBS of Louisiana Insurance Coverage for Drug & Alcohol Rehab Centers in LA
Does BCBS of Louisiana Insurance Cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab Centers?
Louisianians are affected by substance use disorder more than other states in their region, with 8.3% of the population over the age of 12 citing past-year substance use disorder from 2017-2019.1, pg. 26 Of those struggling with alcohol and drug addiction in March 2019, in a single-day count, 10,633 people were enrolled in substance use treatment.1, pg. 27
For many, attending substance use treatment, which might include detox, outpatient therapy, or inpatient alcohol and drug rehab, is a crucial step toward recovery. But treatment often comes at a cost.
Fortunately, if you have health insurance, you may be able to use your health plan to cover some or all the cost of treatment. If you have a Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) of Louisiana health plan, you may be wondering whether your insurance covers treatment, including inpatient alcohol and drug rehab centers.
Under the Affordable Care Act (ACA), almost all health plans are federally mandated to provide some level of coverage for mental and behavioral health services, including substance use disorder treatment (e.g., rehab).2 However, every plan is different, which means coverage levels vary and could be subject to networks and cost-sharing requirements.
To find out what is covered under your plan, you’ll need to check your Blue cross blue shield substance abuse coverage. One way is to call the number on the back of your insurance card. You can also reach out to American Addiction Centers (AAC) through phone, chat, or the online benefits verification form to learn more about your specific plan.
How to Find BCBS of Louisiana Covered Inpatient Drug Treatment Centers in LA?
There are 15 hospital inpatient drug treatment centers in the state of Louisiana, but not all of them may accept your BCBS of LA insurance.3 Finding Louisiana substance abuse treatment centers that are covered by your BCBS of Louisiana plan is simple.
First, you can call the number on the back of your insurance card to speak with a BCBS of LA plan representative. They should be able to go over your plan details and help you find a covered facility near you. You can also log on to your BCBS of LA member portal online and search for covered care near you.
Another way to learn about your benefits is to work with AAC to check your coverage. AAC is known for its top-notch treatment facilities across the country, including nearby luxury locations in Mississippi (Oxford Treatment Center), Florida (Recovery First Treatment Center and River Oaks Treatment Center), and Texas (Greenhouse Treatment Center Texas).4 We encourage you to call our confidential helpline and speak to an admissions navigator who can check your benefits right while you’re on the phone.
What Is BCBS of Louisiana?
Since 1934, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Louisiana has been serving residents by providing health insurance solutions.5 Company History The company began in February of 1934 when 6 area hospital representatives came together to form a nonprofit, mutual insurance company called the Hospital Service Association of New Orleans, which offered a form of prepaid hospital care to members.6
Today, 1.8 million Louisianians are covered by a BCBS of LA plan, and there are 9 regional offices in the state to help administer the plans.5
BCBS of LA offers a variety of insurance plans, including individual and family health plans, as well as Medicare plans.7 The company also offers dental, international travel, cancer, and VIP health plans.7 Of the individual and family health plans, there are several different plans to choose from.7
Depending on your chosen plan, you may have network limitations regarding which Louisiana rehab centers you are able to attend. Please check your benefits before seeking care whenever possible.
How Much Does BCBS of Louisiana Cover (Addiction Treatment)?
How much coverage your BCBS of Louisiana plan provides in terms of addiction treatment will vary based on the plan you have. Where you seek care and the type of care you receive may also play a role in how much coverage you receive. Although plan details may vary, some of the following addiction treatment methods may be fully or partially covered by your BCBS of LA plan:
- Inpatient/residential rehab. Inpatient and residential rehab programs are similar, with the main difference being in the duration of your stay. If you’re in an inpatient program, you’ll stay at a hospital or inpatient facility for the duration of your stay, which could last from several weeks to a few months. At the rehab, you’ll receive 24/7 medically supervised care. 8, Pg. 8, “What types of treatment programs are available?” Para 2 Detox is commonly offered at inpatient facilities. 8, Pg. 8, “What types of treatment programs are available?” Para 2 In a residential rehab program, you’ll receive 24/7 care. 8, Pg. 8, “What types of treatment programs are available?” Para 2
- Outpatient rehab/therapy. During your rehab in an outpatient rehab program, you will go to a facility to receive treatment 1 or 2 times per week, returning home after your session is complete. 8, Pg. 10, Para 2 At your outpatient program, your care can vary but often includes therapy sessions. 8, Pg. 10, Para 2
- Intensive outpatient programs (IOP). An IOP is a type of outpatient program that provides you with more structure than the standard outpatient rehab program. Specifically, IOPs involve you attending at least 9 hours of outpatient treatment each week.8, Pg. 10, Para 3
- Partial hospitalization programs (PHP). Also known as a day program, PHPs involve you receiving care at a facility for 4-8 hours per day, for multiple days a week.8, Pg. 10, Para 1 This type of care may be recommended for someone transitioning out of inpatient care who needs more structure than other outpatient programs may provide. 8, Pg. 10, Para 2
Does Blue Cross Blue Shield of Louisiana Provide Coverage for Mental Health Treatment Facilities?
Under the ACA, almost all U.S. health plans, including those offered by BCBS of LA, must provide coverage in some capacity for mental and behavioral health services.2 This federal mandate ensures that services like substance use disorder treatment (e.g., rehab or other addiction treatment in LA) are covered at some level under your plan.2 Therefore, you are covered on some level, whether you need rehab for stand-alone heroin rehab or co-occurring disorder treatment.
A co-occurring disorder means that someone has both a mental illness and substance use disorder at the same time and is not uncommon in the United States.9 In the U.S., about 17 million adults experienced both a mental illness and substance use disorder during the year 2020.9 Substance use disorder often occurs in those who have a mental illness.10 What’s more, those with a substance use disorder have an increased risk of developing a mental illness.10
Each condition is separate but can affect the other. Therefore, the recommended course of treatment is integrated care.9 “What should I do?” In integrated treatment, each condition is treated as a primary condition, and care for both conditions is given simultaneously.9 “What should I do?”
Although the ACA’s mandate requires BCBS of Louisiana mental health coverage, your plan’s specific coverage details will vary. As such, it’s recommended that you verify your benefits before seeking care whenever possible. Doing so may help you avoid surprise medical bills during and after receiving treatment.
Does Blue Cross Blue Shield of Louisiana Cover Addiction Treatment Therapies?
Whether your BCBS of Louisiana health plan covers addiction treatment therapies will depend on your specific plan. Plans vary in type and length of addiction treatment therapy coverage. Additionally, whether the provider you see for addiction treatment therapies is in-network or out-of-network may affect your health plan coverage. Be sure to check your insurance before seeking care to see whether your mental health coverage extends to addiction treatment therapies.
How Long Does BCBS of Louisiana Insurance Cover Alcohol and Drug Rehab Programs?
For those entering treatment, understanding that staying in treatment for an adequate length of time is essential for recovery. Experts believe that longer treatment times are generally considered the most effective, even though every person’s personal needs and situations are different. 11, bullet 5 Specifically, research suggests that remaining in treatment for at least 90 days, or 3 months, is critical to stopping or reducing drug use and improving your overall outcomes.11, bullet 5
Despite this, because there are many types of policies and tiers of coverage in the different plans offered by BCBS of LA, there isn’t a standard length of time that BCBS of LA covers alcohol and drug rehab programs. The length of time covered by BCBS of LA will depend on your specific plan and where you seek care. You can look up your specific plan information on your insurance card and can also call the number on the back of your card to speak to a BCBS of LA representative who can help you learn more about your plan.
What if My BCBS of Louisiana Policy Does Not Cover an Inpatient Rehab Program?
If your BCBS of LA policy doesn’t cover an inpatient drug rehab program or your substance use treatment in general, you may need to pay for these costs out-of-pocket. However, depending on the rehab center you choose, there may be payment options available to you.
Some rehab centers offer financing and/or scholarship options, which you may be eligible for to help offset the cost of treatment. Regardless of insurance coverage, getting treatment right now is critical and essential to your well-being. It’s best to receive treatment as soon as possible and not push getting help down the road.
BCBS of Louisiana In-Network vs. Out-of-Network Inpatient Rehab Centers
Choosing an in-network vs. out-of-network inpatient drug rehab center can potentially help you keep your costs of care low. BCBS of LA offers network plans, which means that providers within the network contract with the insurance company to offer covered members health services and supplies at lower, discounted prices.12 Typically, this means when you receive care at an in-network inpatient drug rehab center, your health care costs will be discounted.
To check whether a facility is in– or out-of-network under your insurance plan, you can call the number on the back of your insurance card, search for in-network care online in your BCBS of LA portal, or work with a rehab center directly to see if they accept your insurance.
Rehabs That Take Blue Cross Blue Shield of Louisiana Insurance
American Addiction Centers (AAC) has various rehab facilities around the country that provide drug and alcohol addiction treatment. If you have a Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance plan, the following AAC facilities accept Blue Cross Blue Shield for drug and alcohol addiction rehab.
- AdCare Rhode Island: With various facilities located in Rhode Island, AdCare provides innovative, quality, and cost-efficient addiction treatment. Its integrated system of care offers an inpatient treatment center in North Kingstown and a network of outpatient offices throughout Rhode Island. AdCare’s continuum of care includes detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, inpatient and outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Desert Hope Treatment Center: Located in Las Vegas, Nevada, Desert Hope provides individualized care programs as well as offering a full continuum of care including detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Greenhouse Treatment Center: Located in Grand Prairie, Texas, Greenhouse offers individualized treatment plans and many levels of care including detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, outpatient services, and tele-health, all in a luxurious setting with high-end amenities.
- Laguna Treatment Hospital: Located in Orange County, California, Laguna is a chemical dependency recovery hospital that focuses on treating people who are medically compromised and need 24/7 oversight. Provided care includes detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment inpatient treatment, and intensive outpatient services.
- Oxford Treatment Center: Located in Etta, Mississippi, Oxford offers gender-specific rehab while offering an opportunity to connect with nature and try new activities. Provided care includes detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, inpatient and outpatient treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health, all with individualized treatment programs.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center: Located in Lafayette Township, New Jersey, Sunrise House provides treatment for people suffering from substance abuse from a medical and holistic standpoint. With various evidence-based therapeutic interventions, personalized care is provided through detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, and outpatient services.
There are various treatment programs for individuals struggling with drug or alcohol addiction, so don’t give up if the first program you check out doesn’t meet your individual needs. There are rehabs near me that can provide the treatment you need. Check out the directory to find a list of facilities and programs. You can search by location and filter by Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance.
How to Verify BCBS of Louisiana Coverage of Drug Rehab Centers?
To verify your BCBS of LA coverage of local drug rehab centers, you can work with industry-leading addiction treatment company American Addiction Centers. AAC can verify your insurance coverage for you. Simply call our helpline and speak to someone who can check your benefits right while you’re on the phone. You may also be able to use our online chat function, especially if you’re not comfortable talking to someone over the phone.
Beyond helping you check your BCBS of LA coverage, AAC can also help you find covered facilities near you, including facilities that offer same-day admission. Depending on your BCBS of LA coverage, your plan may cover treatment at AAC’s leading treatment centers near you, including the luxury, top-notch treatment center in Oxford, Mississippi, called the Oxford Treatment Center. Don’t wait any longer to get the care you need; call us today to get started.