Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota Covered Detox and Rehabs in MN Near Me
Does BCBS of Minnesota Insurance Cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab Centers?
In the state of Minnesota, in 2020, 21,115 people were admitted to treatment for alcohol as their primary substance of misuse.1 Comparatively, 32,689 people were admitted to treatment in the same year for drugs as their primary substance of misuse.2 Specifically, 14,731 were admitted for methamphetamines use, and 9,403 were admitted for opioids.2 Getting treatment for substance use disorders is often a necessary step toward recovery, but it comes at a cost.
Minnesotans who have BCBS of Minnesota health plans may be able to use their insurance plan to cover all or some of the cost of treatment, including inpatient alcohol and drug rehab. To check what may be covered under your plan, call the rehab center. You can provide basic insurance information to a staff member, and they should be able to tell you whether your plan is accepted there.
Alternatively, you can call the number on the back of your insurance card or reach out to American Addiction Centers (AAC). AAC can be reached via helpline or chat functions, or you can enter your information online into a benefits verification form, which will immediately verify your benefits for you.
How To Find BCBS of Minnesota Covered Inpatient Drug Treatment Centers in MN?
There are approximately 553 rehab centers and 22 inpatient drug treatment centers in the state of Minnesota.3 But it is not guaranteed that your plan will cover treatment at every facility. It’s recommended that you check your insurance coverage before seeking care whenever possible.
American Addiction Centers is here to help you check your insurance coverage. Call our helpline to speak to a real person who can check your benefits for you right while you’re on the phone. They can also help you find a covered inpatient drug treatment center in Minnesota or refer you to a top-notch AAC facility across the nation.
What Is BCBS of Minnesota?
BCBS of Minnesota is an independent licensee of Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association (BCBSA).4, Bottom of Page There are 35 independent and locally operated companies that facilitate BCBS plans, providing 111 million people in America with health insurance and access to a network of 1.7 million doctors.5
In Minnesota specifically, the BCBS history began in 1933 when 7 St. Paul hospitals came together and formed the Minnesota Hospital Association, which was the country’s first prepaid healthcare network.6 para 1
In present times, the company is known as BlueCross BlueShield Minnesota and serves more than 2.5 million members from every county in Minnesota, all 50 states, and across 4 continents.6, “Today we are the leading health plan in the state” What’s more, the company has the largest network of doctors than any other health plan in Minnesota—which may include some of the 553 rehab centers in Minnesota.6, “Today we are the leading health plan in the state”, 4
How Much Does BCBS of Minnesota Cover (Addiction Treatment)?
What is covered by your BCBS of MN plan in terms of addiction treatment will vary. BCBS of MN sells a variety of insurance plans across many different markets, including private individual and family plans, Medicare plans, Medicaid plans, and employer-sponsored health plans.7 Every plan will differ in how it covers addiction treatment.
Some addiction treatment services that may be covered under your specific BCBS of MN plan may include:
- Inpatient or residential rehab. An inpatient or residential rehab is a type of addiction treatment that involves you remaining at a facility for a set period of time. Here, you’ll experience a structured program, which includes round-the-clock medical supervision.8, Pg 8, “What types of treatment programs are available?” Para 2,
- Outpatient rehab or therapy. An outpatient rehab program is a type of addiction treatment that involves you going to a facility 1–2 times a week to get care. Outpatient rehab care may include counseling and therapy.8, Pg 10, Para 2
- Intensive outpatient programs. An intensive outpatient program (IOP) is a type of addiction treatment that involves you attending a minimum number of hours of treatment each week—usually around 9 hours.8, Pg 10, Para 3
- Partial hospitalization programs. A partial hospitalization program (PHP) is a type of addiction treatment that involves you attending treatment sessions for 4–8 hours a day multiple times a week.8, Pg 10, Para 1
It’s important to verify your insurance before seeking care whenever possible to see whether any of the above substance use disorder treatments are covered. Doing so may help you avoid surprise medical bills.
Does Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota Provide Coverage for Mental Health Treatment Facilities?
Mental health facilities provide essential services to those struggling with addiction, as well as mental illness. When someone experiences both a mental illness and substance use disorder, it’s known as a co-occurring disorder or a dual diagnosis.9
In 2020, 17 million U.S. adults experienced a co-occurring disorder.9 Having a mental illness increases your risk of developing a substance use disorder and vice versa, but it’s not believed that one directly causes the other.10 Because the 2 conditions are connected, an integrated treatment approach, where both conditions are treated at the same time, is recommended.9 “What should I do?”
Treatment for substance use disorder and mental illness is required to be covered in some capacity by your BCBS of MN plan.11 This is because these services are considered to be essential health benefits (EHBs) under the Affordable Care Act. EHBs must be covered at some level by most health plans in the United States.11 What this means for you is that whether you need co-occurring disorder treatment or stand-alone drug rehab treatment, your health plan may cover some or all of the costs of care.
Does Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota Cover Addiction Treatment Therapies?
Your BCBS of MN plan may cover various addiction treatment therapies. The details of your coverages will vary based on your specific plan. You’ll want to call the number on the back of your BCBS of MN health insurance card to speak to a plan representative. This rep should be able to explain your benefits and coverage to you.
Additionally, BCBSA provides members access to the Substance Use Resource Center, BCBSA’s behavioral health and substance use disorder treatment services. Your BCBS of MN plan may fully or partially cover the following common types of substance use treatments and therapies:12
- Withdrawal management (also known as detox)
- Outpatient care
- Inpatient care
- Residential care
- Medication-assisted treatment (MAT)
- Interim care
- Sober living home
Be sure to verify your benefits and coverage before seeking care, as it’s not guaranteed that the above therapies will be fully or partially covered under your plan.
How Long Does BCBS of Minnesota Insurance Cover Alcohol and Drug Rehab Programs?
Your BCBS of MN insurance coverage for alcohol and drug rehab programs may be subject to limits when it comes to the length of treatment time that’s covered. However, because there are many different types of policies and tiers of coverage, what your coverage includes will depend on your specific plan.
To check coverage, make sure to look at your insurance card for your plan’s identifying information and then call the number on the back of the card to speak to a plan rep. Based on the insurance information you provide to them, they’ll be able to help you learn more about your coverage.
What your insurance may cover and what’s recommended by your provider could potentially differ. It’s important to prioritize getting the care you need for as long as you need it. Remaining in treatment for the appropriate amount of time is essential. Research shows that treatment should last for at least 3 months to help stop or reduce drug use and see improved overall outcomes.12, bullet 5 Please note that everyone’s needs are different, and you may need more or less time in rehab.
What if My BCBS of Minnesota Policy Does Not Cover an Inpatient Rehab Program?
If your BCBS of Minnesota health insurance policy doesn’t cover an inpatient drug rehab program, there may be payment options available to you. Depending on the rehab center you choose, they may offer financing or scholarship options, which can help offset the cost of getting care. Regardless, getting treatment right now is critical rather than pushing it off down the road.
BCBS of Minnesota In-Network vs. Out-of-Network Inpatient Rehab Centers
Understanding what a health plan network is and how to choose providers in your plan’s network can help you keep your health care costs low. A network is a group of healthcare providers and facilities that are part of your health plan.13 If an inpatient drug rehab center is not in your plan’s network, you may have to pay more for, or potentially all of, the cost of care at that provider.13
If you’re planning to attend inpatient drug rehab in Minnesota, it’s important that you try to stay in your network to keep your costs low. To find an in-network provider or to check whether a facility or provider is within your network, you can call the number on the back of your insurance card or ask the rehab center directly whether they accept your plan.
Rehabs That Take Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota Insurance
American Addiction Centers (AAC) has various rehab facilities around the country that provide drug and alcohol addiction treatment. If you have a Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance plan, the following AAC facilities accept Blue Cross Blue Shield for drug and alcohol addiction rehab.
- AdCare Rhode Island: With various facilities located in Rhode Island, AdCare provides innovative, quality, and cost-efficient addiction treatment. Its integrated system of care offers an inpatient treatment center in North Kingstown and a network of outpatient offices throughout Rhode Island. AdCare’s continuum of care includes detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, inpatient and outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Desert Hope Treatment Center: Located in Las Vegas, Nevada, Desert Hope provides individualized care programs as well as offering a full continuum of care including detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Greenhouse Treatment Center: Located in Grand Prairie, Texas, Greenhouse offers individualized treatment plans and many levels of care including detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, outpatient services, and tele-health, all in a luxurious setting with high-end amenities.
- Laguna Treatment Hospital: Located in Orange County, California, Laguna is a chemical dependency recovery hospital that focuses on treating people who are medically compromised and need 24/7 oversight. Provided care includes detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment inpatient treatment, and intensive outpatient services.
- Oxford Treatment Center: Located in Etta, Mississippi, Oxford offers gender-specific rehab while offering an opportunity to connect with nature and try new activities. Provided care includes detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, inpatient and outpatient treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health, all with individualized treatment programs.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center: Located in Lafayette Township, New Jersey, Sunrise House provides treatment for people suffering from substance abuse from a medical and holistic standpoint. With various evidence-based therapeutic interventions, personalized care is provided through detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, and outpatient services.
There are various treatment programs for individuals struggling with drug or alcohol addiction, so don’t give up if the first program you check out doesn’t meet your individual needs. There are rehabs near me that can provide the treatment you need. Check out the directory to find a list of facilities and programs. You can search by location and filter by Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance.
How To Verify BCBS of Minnesota Coverage of Drug Rehab Centers
If you’re ready to get treatment or you’re concerned about a loved one, American Addiction Centers is here to help. AAC can work with you to determine if any of the nearby treatment facilities take your BCBS of MN health insurance. Or, they can direct you towards the AAC treatment centers across the nation, which are industry-leading facilities that provide top-notch care.
Call the AAC helpline to speak to a person today who can check your benefits for you right while you’re on the phone.