Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield Virginia: Rehab & Detox Centers in VA That Take Anthem
- Access to licensed treatment centers
- Information on treatment plans
- Financial assistance options
Does Anthem BCBS of Virginia Insurance Cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab Centers?
Similar to other states in the country, drug and alcohol abuse is an increasing problem in Virginia. Between 2017-2019, an average of around 7% of Virginia’s adult population struggled with a substance use disorder, while 5% had an alcohol use disorder.1, p. 31 & 32 To help find alcohol and drug addiction treatment, Anthem BCBS of Virginia may provide coverage associated with treatment. At Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Virginia, they provide integrated care to customers to help improve the health of the communities they serve.2
Nonetheless, insurance policies are very different and provide coverage for various services. To verify your insurance coverage, call the number on the back of the insurance card. A customer representative will look at your policy and provide you with accurate information about the benefits covered by your plan.
Another option is to contact a treatment center directly. Many rehab facilities will verify your insurance information for you. Call us at to speak with an admissions navigator or verify your insurance online to learn more about your policy’s coverage.
How To Find Anthem BCBS of Virginia Covered Inpatient Drug Treatment Centers in VA
Various drug and alcohol rehab centers serve the Virginia area, mostly in major cities like Williamsburg, Richmond, and Virginia Beach. In 2019, 25,833 individuals aged 12 and older were admitted to a Virginia rehab center.3(page 313) At least 5,436 admissions used HMO insurance as the primary payment source for substance abuse treatment.3(page 104 on the document)
There are at least 310 treatment facilities in Virginia. The types of treatment provided by these facilities can be broken down as follows:4
- 217 provide outpatient treatment.
- 37 provide residential treatment.
- 11 provide hospital inpatient treatment.
AAC has highly ranked rehab facilities in Virginia that accept Anthem BCBS of Virginia. If you or someone you know is looking for drug treatment centers in VA, American Addiction Centers (AAC) can help. We offer Anthem BCBS of Virginia addiction treatment services to help with substance use disorder and co-occurring mental health problems. For more information about AAC treatment options, please call our helpline at . Or you can verify your insurance information using this form.
What Is Anthem BCBS of Virginia?
In Virginia, Anthem Health Plans of Virginia trades as Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield. The company provides HMO coverage to Virginia except for the city of Fairfax, the town of Vienna, and the area east of State Route 123.3
While the number of providers that will cover substance abuse treatment in Virginia varies according to your insurance plan, there are over 78 behavioral health facilities and hundreds of providers in the area that are in-network with Anthem BCBS of Virginia.5(from page 875 on the document to page 1195)
How Much Does Anthem BCBS of Virginia Cover (Addiction Treatment)?
Coverage for addiction treatment services with Anthem BCBS of Virginia varies by plan. Still, it may cover some or all the costs associated with treatment. Coverage is dependent on the type of plan you have.
When looking for substance abuse treatment, you’ll find that most rehab centers offer inpatient and outpatient options. Each setting varies in cost and length of treatment, which will impact whether or not your insurance covers it. The most common types of treatment include:6
- Detox program: Detoxification treatment programs help patients withdraw from addictive substances in a medically supervised setting. Depending on the substance(s) you use, rehab centers may require detox as the first step of treatment.
- Inpatient/residential rehab: Inpatient rehab programs provide around-the-clock monitoring and treatment. This type of setting happens at live-in facilities catering to people with severe substance use disorders. Many residential rehab facilities also offer other services such as detox programs and medication-assisted treatment (MAT).
- Outpatient rehab: Outpatient programs offer a more flexible treatment setting, where patients live at home while attending the facility for a set amount of hours per week. Patients attending outpatient rehab might live at home or stay at a sober living facility while receiving treatment.
- Intensive outpatient program (IOP): IOP facilities require patients to attend treatment for a minimum of 9 hours per week. These programs are more structured and intense than outpatient rehab. IOP is often a step down from more intensive treatment structures such as residential rehab programs.
- Partial hospitalization program (PHP): PHP facilities are usually connected to a hospital to provide medical assistance to patients. Many PHP facilities offer a full range of programs that are similar to residential rehab, but patients are allowed to return home at the end of the day.
Does Blue Cross Blue Shield of Virginia Provide Coverage for Mental Health Treatment Facilities?
People with substance abuse are at risk of also struggling with mental health disorders. This is known as having co-occurring disorders. Approximately 9.2 million adults in the United States had a co-occurring disorder in 2018.7 The most common co-occurring disorders with substance abuse are mood disorders, depressive disorders, and anxiety disorders.7
According to the Affordable Care Act (ACA), substance use disorders and mental health disorders treatment are both considered essential benefits covered by insurance. Because of this, most people become eligible for dual diagnosis treatment.8 In other words, to be compliant with ACA, insurance providers must provide some level of coverage for mental health facilities and drug addiction treatment centers.8 Both co-occurring disorder treatment and stand-alone rehab fall under this mandate.
Co-occurring addiction treatment involves a combination of behavioral therapies and medication to help lessen the symptoms of mental health disorders and addiction.9 It’s better to treat substance use disorders and co-occurring mental disorders through an individualized approach that treats both conditions simultaneously.9
Although the specifics may vary according to your plan, you have access to a list of behavioral health facilities and professionals in the network as an Anthem BCBS of Virginia member.
Does Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield of Virginia Cover Addiction Treatment Therapies?
Addiction treatment therapies vary from patient to patient. Your substance abuse treatment provider will create a treatment plan according to your needs. Behavioral therapies are a significant portion of addiction treatment. Behavioral approaches help engage people in drug abuse treatment and modify their behaviors related to drug abuse. While there are various evidence-based approaches to drug addiction treatment, these are the most common ones:10
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
- Contingency management
- Motivational enhancement therapy
- 12-Step facilitation therapy
- Family behavior therapy
- Community reinforcement therapy
Behavioral therapies, including family and group counseling, are an essential part of the principles of drug addiction treatment.11 While these vary in focus, they all help patients change their motivation and build coping mechanisms to remain abstinent. Behavioral therapies also help improve problem-solving skills, replace drugs with constructive activities, and maintain abstinence to prevent relapse in the long term.11
How Long Does Anthem BCBS of Virginia Insurance Cover Alcohol and Drug Rehab Programs?
Depending on your insurance plan, it may only provide coverage for specific lengths of time. Research shows that residential treatment participation should be at least 90 days to provide the best outcome. Still, research suggests people recovering from substance abuse should maintain some form of treatment for at least 12 months to maintain sobriety.12 And some people may benefit from maintenance treatment and medication-assisted treatment for many years to prevent relapse.12
Because Anthem BCBS of Virginia offers insurance plans at different tiers, the length of time covered may vary. The best way to verify this is by contacting your insurance provider and speaking with a representative. You can also contact our helpline at to speak with an admissions navigator and learn more about your insurance coverage and the length of time covered.
What If My Anthem BCBS of Virginia Policy Does Not Cover an Inpatient Rehab Program?
In some cases, your Anthem BCBS of Virginia insurance policy might not list an inpatient drug rehab program as part of its benefits. However, don’t consider this a barrier to getting treatment. Many rehab centers provide financial options to help people receive their care.
If you or a loved one is seeking drug addiction treatment, reach out to various rehab facilities in the area. They may provide financing options and payment plans to help people receive treatment. In addition, some state-funded rehab facilities in Virginia might provide treatment at a low cost or no cost. However, keep in mind that these facilities tend to have long waiting lists.
Nonetheless, don’t use financial barriers as a reason to avoid treatment. Not seeking treatment for a substance abuse problem could be a life or death situation. Explore your options and learn more about the various financing alternatives available to help you find the treatment you need.11
Anthem BCBS of Virginia In-Network vs. Out-of-Network Inpatient Rehab Centers
Anthem BCBS of Virginia only covers drug rehab centers that are part of their network. In-network providers are hospitals, physicians, and facilities that accept your insurance and have agreed to charge specific amounts for their services imposed by the insurance company.13 Out-of-network providers don’t take your plan, and therefore, the insurance doesn’t cover their services.13
Keep in mind that even if a drug treatment center is out-of-network, you may still be eligible for coverage on other therapies and services. You must contact your insurance provider or the facility you wish to attend to verify your insurance and learn more about your coverage.
How To Verify Anthem BCBS of Virginia Insurance Coverage for Rehab Centers
If you are still unclear whether a drug rehab center will accept your insurance, check with the facility, call your insurance company, or contact AAC to verify your insurance information. AAC can check your insurance coverage over the phone or online.
All you need is your insurance card, and one of our admissions navigators can check your insurance benefits to verify it covers rehab centers in Virginia. This can help you decide which rehab center will be the right choice for your recovery journey. We can also check for rehab centers in nearby areas that might be in-network with your Anthem BCBS of Virginia insurance.
American Addiction Centers has facilities providing excellent drug and alcohol treatment across the country, including Virginia. We can check which AAC facilities accept it for addiction treatment services if you have an Anthem BCBS of Virginia insurance plan.
All our facilities provide individualized treatment programs, offering the highest level of care in high-end amenities. AAC treatment facilities provide cost-efficient addiction rehab services, including detox, residential rehab programs, dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient programs, and outpatient services.
Rehabs That Take Blue Cross Blue Shield Insurance
American Addiction Centers (AAC) has various rehab facilities around the country that provide drug and alcohol addiction treatment. If you have a Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance plan, the following AAC facilities accept Blue Cross Blue Shield for drug and alcohol addiction rehab.
- AdCare Rhode Island: With various facilities located in Rhode Island, AdCare provides innovative, quality, and cost-efficient addiction treatment. Its integrated system of care offers an inpatient treatment center in North Kingstown and a network of outpatient offices throughout Rhode Island. AdCare’s continuum of care includes detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, inpatient and outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Desert Hope Treatment Center: Located in Las Vegas, Nevada, Desert Hope provides individualized care programs as well as offering a full continuum of care including detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Greenhouse Treatment Center: Located in Grand Prairie, Texas, Greenhouse offers individualized treatment plans and many levels of care including detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, outpatient services, and tele-health, all in a luxurious setting with high-end amenities.
- Laguna Treatment Hospital: Located in Orange County, California, Laguna is a chemical dependency recovery hospital that focuses on treating people who are medically compromised and need 24/7 oversight. Provided care includes detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment inpatient treatment, and intensive outpatient services.
- Oxford Treatment Center: Located in Etta, Mississippi, Oxford offers gender-specific rehab while offering an opportunity to connect with nature and try new activities. Provided care includes detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, inpatient and outpatient treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health, all with individualized treatment programs.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center: Located in Lafayette Township, New Jersey, Sunrise House provides treatment for people suffering from substance abuse from a medical and holistic standpoint. With various evidence-based therapeutic interventions, personalized care is provided through detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, and outpatient services.
There are various treatment programs for individuals struggling with drug or alcohol addiction, so don’t give up if the first program you check out doesn’t meet your individual needs. There are rehabs near me that can provide the treatment you need. Check out the directory to find a list of facilities and programs. You can search by location and filter by Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance.
Frequently Asked Questions