Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina for Drug & Alcohol Rehab
Does BCBS Of North Carolina Insurance Cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab Centers?
Yes. Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) of North Carolina is committed to helping North Carolina residents with substance use disorders get the care they need to overcome addiction and lead healthy, productive lives.1, 2
BCBS of North Carolina does provide some coverage for inpatient alcohol and drug rehab centers. Exactly how much coverage is provided depends on the specific BCBS of North Carolina plan you have. Call the number on the back of your member ID/insurance card to ask about details of your plan’s coverage for addiction treatments, including inpatient rehab.
Most rehab centers can check your coverage for you based on the information you provide. American Addiction Centers (AAC) is here to help. Call our 24/7 helpline at to speak with an admissions navigator, who can verify your insurance coverage while you’re on the phone. Or complete our 2-step form below with your contact and insurance information. We’ll email you within minutes with the information you need about your insurance coverage for certain addiction treatments.
How to Find BCBS Of North Carolina Covered Inpatient Drug Treatment Centers in NC?
In 2019, 54,830 North Carolina residents entered a treatment center for help with addiction to drugs and/or alcohol.3, p 25 Unfortunately, this number does not reflect the number of people living in the state who currently need treatment for substance use disorders. Only 1 in 10 Americans with substance use disorder receive treatment.1
Some people may be unaware of what kind of treatment they need, or how to get it. Others may be aware of addiction treatment, but worry about the cost of treatment and avoid getting the help they need due to financial concerns. Others may be concerned about the cost of accessing treatment.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina provides help to members with substance use disorders to ensure they get the treatment they need.4 Call the number on the back of your insurance card to learn more about your health plan’s coverage for addiction treatment. BCBS of North Carolina can help connect you to a high-quality addiction treatment program and/or health provider to help you live life on your terms, free from drugs and alcohol.4
Or call our helpline at and speak to a person who can check your benefits while you’re on the phone and answer any questions you may have about treatments, including inpatient rehab.
What is BCBS of North Carolina?
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina is a health insurance company that has provided healthcare coverage to the state’s residents since 1933.5 An independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, BCBS of NC serves more than 3.81 million members throughout the state.5
BCBS of North Carolina has a large network of health care providers and includes 99% of all acute-care hospitals and 96% of all medical doctors in the state.5 Members who travel outside of North Carolina continue to have coverage for hospital and medical services in all 50 states.5
The company’s mission is simple: “To improve the health and well-being of our customers and communities.”6 BCBS of North Carolina is a fully taxed, not-for-profit organization in North Carolina. Major operating centers are located in Durham, Fayetteville, Winston-Salem, and Charlotte.6 More than 4,700 North Carolinians are employed by the consumer-focused health solutions company.6
There are 611 substance use treatment facilities located in the state of North Carolina.7, Table 6.2a. As many as 415 of these rehab facilities accept private health insurance, such as Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina, as a form of payment to help pay for treatment.7, Table 6.28a.
How Much Does BCBS of North Carolina Cover (Addiction Treatment)?
There is no “one size fits all” treatment for substance use disorders. The type of addiction treatment you receive will depend on your needs. Before you choose a treatment program, you may want to consider certain factors such as:
- How long you’ve been using.
- The types of substances you are using.
- How frequently you use these substances.
- Your previous quit attempts and/or withdrawal experiences.
- The type of support you have from family and friends.
- Whether you live in an environment that will support your recovery.
Addiction treatments that may be covered by your BCBS of North Carolina health plan include:2
- Inpatient/residential rehab. Inpatient rehab, also known as residential treatment, provides room and board while you live at the facility receiving addiction treatments. The duration of your stay will depend on your specific needs and the rehab center you choose. Individual and group therapies are key elements of inpatient rehab as well as education classes on addiction, recovery, and healthy coping mechanisms to support your long-term recovery.
- Partial hospitalization programs (PHP). Similar in structure to inpatient programs, partial hospitalization treatments allow you to live at home while attending treatment at a rehab facility (or clinic) approximately 5 days a week, for 4–6 hours each day. Individual and group therapy are offered in PHP programs as well as education on addiction, recovery, and healthy ways to cope while in recovery.
- Intensive outpatient (IOP). As the name implies, intensive outpatient programs are time-intensive, but you may still live at home while enrolled in treatment. Many IOPs require you to attend the treatment program 4–6 days a week for approximately 3–4 hours each day.
- Outpatient treatment. Outpatient programs vary in terms of their time commitment and duration. All outpatient programs allow you to live at home, and some programs are held in the evening hours so you can attend to work and family responsibilities during the day. Outpatient programs are often an excellent next step for people who have completed an inpatient rehab program and still want ongoing support while in recovery.
Does Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina Provide Coverage for Inpatient Mental Health Facilities?
Yes, Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina does provide coverage for treatment at mental health facilities.4 The Affordable Care Act (ACA) is a law that mandates that treatment for mental health conditions and substance use disorders must be at least partially covered by health insurance providers.8
The Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act (MHPAEA) provides further assurance that benefits must be provided to cover mental health and substance abuse treatments in the same way medical and surgical care is covered.9
Approximately 50% of people with substance use disorder also have co-occurring mental health conditions, such as depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).10, 2nd para Known as “dual diagnosis”, many rehab centers in North Carolina provide treatments for people with both mental health conditions and substance use disorder. Mental health struggles often go hand-in-hand with substance misuse, as many people turn to drugs and alcohol as a way to “self-medicate” or numb the challenges that often come with mental illness.10, under “mental health disorders can contribute” para
In North Carolina, BCBS of NC can provide treatments for people with a dual diagnosis. These facilities use integrated therapeutic approaches and evidence-based treatments to treat both conditions at the same time. This is intended to help reduce the risk of relapse and increase a person’s chances of a full recovery.
How Long Does BCBS of North Carolina Insurance Cover Alcohol and Drug Rehab Programs?
How long your BCBS of North Carolina insurance covers alcohol and drug rehab programs depends on the specific plan you have and the limitations mentioned in your statement of benefits. There are many different types of policies and tiers of coverage, so the length of time covered by the insurance provider depends on your specific plan.
Call the number on the back of your insurance card to speak with someone at BCBS of North Carolina to learn more about your plan’s coverage for inpatient rehab, including how long coverage is provided.
The length of time a person spends in rehab depends on their specific needs and the treatment program they are enrolled in. The severity of your substance use, how long you’ve been using, your dual diagnosis status, and your personal treatment preferences are all considered when determining how long you will stay in rehab.
No matter how long your insurance coverage will help cover the costs of rehab, it is important to complete the entirety of the recommended program. This will help ensure your long-term recovery and success. Research shows that people who stay in addiction treatment programs for 3 months or more have better outcomes, including fewer relapses, higher chances of long-term recovery, and an overall improved sense of wellbeing.11, bullet 5
What if My BCBS of North Carolina Policy Does Not Cover an Inpatient Rehab Program?
As a BCBS of NC member, take comfort in knowing at least some of the costs of your stay in an inpatient drug rehab program will be covered by your health insurance plan. Depending on your plan, you may be responsible for paying some out-of-pocket expenses, such as meeting your deductible and paying copays and coinsurance for any treatments you receive.
If you do not have the financial means to cover your out-of-pocket expenses directly for inpatient rehab, there are payment options to consider, including:
- Fundraising and crowdfunding. Ask your family members and friends to provide their support to help you get the treatment you need to leave addiction behind.
- Payment plans and sliding scale fees. Many rehab facilities provide payment plans that allow you to pay back the costs of treatment over time, similar to a car payment. Some rehab facilities also offer sliding scale fees, so the amount you pay will depend on your financial situation and insurance coverage.
- Scholarships and grants. Many rehab facilities provide scholarships and grants to low-income individuals who do not have adequate healthcare coverage for rehab. Some government programs also offer grants to people who need financial assistance for accessing treatment.
It’s vital for you to get into treatment as soon as you can. Finances can always be worked out, but your mental and physical health cannot wait. If you have a BCBS of North Carolina health insurance plan, rest assured that at least some of the costs of your treatment will be covered.
BCBS of North Carolina In-Network vs. Out of Network Inpatient Rehab Centers
As you research different inpatient drug rehab centers, it’s important to check and make sure the rehabs you are considering are in-network with Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina. In-network drug rehab centers provide addiction treatments and services to BCBS of NC members at a discounted rate. These rehabs have been approved by the insurance company to provide treatments to members.
Through the Blue Cross and Blue Shield national designation program, Blue Distinction Center for Substance Use Treatment and Recovery, you can find nationally accredited facilities that improve outcomes with patient-focused, evidence-based treatments that are in-network with BCBS of NC.2
By choosing a rehab center that is in-network with your health plan, it helps your insurance coverage to pay more for your rehab and treatments. This should help your out-of-pocket expenses to be considerably lower.
Out-of-network rehab centers do not have an agreement with BCBS of NC and therefore do not provide addiction treatments at a discounted rate. If you choose to go to rehab at an out-of-network facility, your plan may cover less of the costs of treatment, or none at all, depending on the restrictions of your health plan.
Call the number on the back of your insurance member ID card to ask for a list of rehab centers that are in-network with your plan. You can also call the rehab centers directly to ask if they accept Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina insurance plans.