BCBS of South Carolina Insurance Coverage for Drug & Alcohol Rehab and Detox Centers in SC
- Access to licensed treatment centers
- Information on treatment plans
- Financial assistance options
Does BCBS of South Carolina insurance cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab Centers?
BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina is a health insurance company with plans for those living in South Carolina.1 These plans may provide partial or full coverage for drug and/or alcohol rehab.2 The amount of coverage provided will be dependent upon your specific plan, needs, type of treatment, and more.
To find out whether you are covered, call the center directly and provide your insurance information. You can also call the number on the back of your insurance card. Another option is American Addiction Centers (AAC). Call, text, or chat with us via our website for help figuring out your coverage options for rehab. You can also fill out a form on the AAC website to verify what your insurance covers.
How to find BCBS Of South Carolina covered Inpatient drug treatment centers in SC?
As discussed above, there are several ways AAC can verify your insurance coverage for you and help you explore available options. These methods include:
- A phone call to our admissions team. They’re available 24/7 at and can check your benefits while you’re on the phone.
- Sign up for our text support service. It’s also available 24/7, and you can opt out at any time.
- Speak with an admissions team member via the 24/7 chat feature available on our
- Type your insurance information into our online verification form found here.
AAC works with several insurance providers to provide quality, insurance-covered facility options to rehab patients across the U.S. With top-notch facilities across the nation, AAC’s ultimate goal is to provide a place for everyone seeking substance abuse treatment to receive quality rehab services that are best suited to their needs. Explore what AAC facility may be a good fit for you here.
What is BCBS Of South Carolina?
BlueCross BlueShield originally began in 1946 as a nonprofit, prepaid hospital plan under the name South Carolina Hospital Service Plan (later changed to BlueCross). BlueShield was formed in 1949 as a nonprofit offering coverage for doctors’ services. BlueShield partnered with BlueCross to sell and distribute its plans.1
When Medicare began, BlueCross was chosen to administer Medicare Part A while BlueShield was chosen to administer Medicare Part B, and by 1971, the two companies had merged to form BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina.1
Today, BCBS of South Carolina has more than 16,000 employees nationwide and is the leading health insurance provider for the state, with plan choices for individuals, families, and groups in addition to Medicare and Medicaid options.1
Many rehab centers in South Carolina accept Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance. The coverage offered to you at each will depend on your needs and insurance plan.
How Much Does BCBS Of South Carolina Cover (Addiction Treatment)?
The amount of coverage your BCBS of South Carolina insurance plan will provide for addiction treatment depends on your specific needs and policy. One determining factor for the amount of coverage provided is the type of rehab you or your loved one will need to best treat their addiction. Your BCBS of South Carolina plan may cover some or all of the cost of the following types of treatment:
- Inpatient/residential rehab – Patients in inpatient/residential rehab programs live in their chosen rehab facility full-time while receiving treatment. Treatment plans are structured, providing various therapeutic treatment options, and care is provided 24 hours a day.3, How are behavioral therapies used to treat drug addiction?
- Outpatient rehab/therapy – Outpatient rehab patients do not live at a facility full-time but attend treatment sessions according to an established schedule developed based on their level of need. Patients may attend individual and group counseling with the frequency of sessions sometimes decreasing as the patient improves. 3, How are behavioral therapies used to treat drug addiction?
- Intensive outpatient programs (IOP) – Intensive outpatient programs are a form of outpatient therapy (in that patients do not live at a facility) but can offer a level of services and effectiveness often comparable to a residential treatment facility. While patients attend similar types of counseling and therapy sessions as other outpatient programs, an IOP often offers a more intense or aggressive schedule of treatments.4, Outpatient Treatment Programs
- Partial hospitalization programs (PHP) – A partial hospitalization program provides patients with treatment in an outpatient setting with more access to certain medical resources than an IOP may provide. Treatment programs are more intense and structured than a standard outpatient program, with criteria for a PHP stating that patients attend 20 hours of treatment each week.5, pg. 24, b) Partial hospitalization programs and intensive outpatient programs
These are just some of the treatment varieties that may be covered in part or in full by your BCBS of South Carolina insurance plan. Reach out to BCBS of SC directly for more in-depth information about what types of treatment your plan may cover.
Does Blue Cross Blue Shield of South Carolina provide coverage for mental health treatment facilities?
It is not uncommon for patients struggling with substance abuse to also have a mental health disorder. The 2020 National Survey on Drug Use and Health from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) found that an estimated 17 million adults had both a substance use disorder and a mental health disorder occurring simultaneously.6, pg. 3
When a substance use disorder and mental health disorder occur simultaneously, it is referred to as having a co-occurring disorder.6, pg. 47 In patients, the presence of one disorder can affect or exacerbate the presence of another.6, pg. 47 For this reason, it is recommended that co-occurring disorders be treated in tandem.6, pg. 47 The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) states that evaluation and treatment of co-occurring mental health issues is a step in the successful treatment of substance abuse.3, Points to Remember
Under the Affordable Care Act (ACA), all insurance providers are required to provide coverage for a list of 10 essential health benefits (EHBs).7 This list of EHBs includes mental health services and substance abuse disorder services and behavioral health treatment.7 That means that your BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina insurance plan is required to provide some form of coverage for mental health care treatment and substance abuse treatment. That would include co-occurring disorder treatment as well, so whether you need just substance abuse rehab or additional mental health treatment, your insurance plan is required to provide some form of coverage to you.
Does Blue Cross Blue Shield of South Carolina cover addiction treatment therapies?
Depending on the plan you have and the type of therapy you need, your BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina plan may cover some or all of the various types of addiction treatment therapies.2 Several types of therapy can be used when treating addiction depending on a patient’s needs and where they are receiving treatment. These can include but are not limited to the following:3, How are behavioral therapies used to treat drug addiction?
- General behavioral therapy – This type of therapy comes in many forms and is designed to help patients with their attitudes regarding drug use and keeping up with other treatments they are receiving.
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy – This type of behavioral therapy helps patients identify, handle, and find ways to avoid situations where they may be likely to fall back into substance abuse.
- Multidimensional family therapy – This is a type of behavioral therapy designed for adolescents struggling with substance abuse and their families.
- Motivational interviewing – Another type of behavioral therapy, motivational interviewing works to take advantage of the time when patients are open to change and seeking treatment.
- Motivational incentives – This is also a type of behavioral therapy that uses positive reinforcement to encourage avoiding substance abuse.
These are just some types of addiction treatment therapies that may be covered by your BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina insurance plan. The type(s) of therapy you need and the level of coverage you qualify for will be dependent upon your specific case of addiction, the type of treatment program you enroll in, and the facility where you receive treatment.
How Long Does BCBS Of South Carolina Insurance Cover Alcohol and Drug Rehab programs?
The length of treatment is an important aspect to consider when deciding to pursue a drug or alcohol rehab program. The NIDA states that a critical part of receiving treatment is staying in treatment for an appropriate amount of time for your needs and addiction case. Research has shown that patients need at least 3 months in a rehab program to receive effective treatment with the best outcomes occurring in patients with longer treatment durations.8
The length of treatment that is covered by your BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina insurance will be dependent upon your specific plan, the type of treatment you are enrolled in, and the facility where you receive treatment. There are many types of policies and tiers of coverage, so check with your insurance provider to see the length of treatment that might be covered by your plan. Call the number on your insurance information card to speak with a BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina representative directly about your coverage options.
Every patient’s needs will be different, but staying in treatment for the appropriate amount of time for you is an important part of developing an effective treatment plan.
What if my BCBS Of South Carolina policy does not cover an Inpatient rehab program?
If your BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina insurance policy does not cover inpatient drug rehab, there are still plenty of options and types of treatment available to you. In addition to various forms of outpatient therapy, there might also be financing or scholarship options available to you depending on the rehab center. These can be based upon a patient’s specific needs or circumstances. If you’re interested in a particular inpatient facility, give them a call to see what financing or scholarship options you may qualify for.
Getting treatment right now while you or your loved one feels ready is imperative rather than putting it off. There are always options available, so reach out to your insurance provider, doctors, rehab facilities, or AAC. All of these outlets will have people ready to discuss your options with you and get you on the road to recovery now.
BCBS Of South Carolina In-Network vs. Out-of-Network Inpatient Rehab Centers
All insurance providers have a group of providers and facilities that provide care to their policyholders with a certain level of expected coverage. This group of providers and facilities are considered “in-network” for policyholders as they are within a network of healthcare resources where policyholders can receive at least somewhat covered care for prices agreed upon by the facility/provider and the insurance company.
However, if a provider or facility is not within this group/network for an insurance provider, they are considered “out-of-network” and will not provide covered care to policyholders of that insurance. Policyholders can still receive care from these facilities and clinicians but may be required to pay for the services provided completely out-of-pocket.9, pg. 2
To check whether a treatment provider is in-network for your insurance plan, log in to your account and access the BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina provider directories here. Search by name, location, or specialty to find the best provider within your insurance network to fit your needs.
Rehabs That Take Blue Cross Blue Shield of South Carolina Insurance
American Addiction Centers (AAC) has various rehab facilities around the country that provide drug and alcohol addiction treatment. If you have a Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance plan, the following AAC facilities accept Blue Cross Blue Shield for drug and alcohol addiction rehab.
- AdCare Rhode Island: With various facilities located in Rhode Island, AdCare provides innovative, quality, and cost-efficient addiction treatment. Its integrated system of care offers an inpatient treatment center in North Kingstown and a network of outpatient offices throughout Rhode Island. AdCare’s continuum of care includes detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, inpatient and outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Desert Hope Treatment Center: Located in Las Vegas, Nevada, Desert Hope provides individualized care programs as well as offering a full continuum of care including detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Greenhouse Treatment Center: Located in Grand Prairie, Texas, Greenhouse offers individualized treatment plans and many levels of care including detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, outpatient services, and tele-health, all in a luxurious setting with high-end amenities.
- Laguna Treatment Hospital: Located in Orange County, California, Laguna is a chemical dependency recovery hospital that focuses on treating people who are medically compromised and need 24/7 oversight. Provided care includes detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment inpatient treatment, and intensive outpatient services.
- Oxford Treatment Center: Located in Etta, Mississippi, Oxford offers gender-specific rehab while offering an opportunity to connect with nature and try new activities. Provided care includes detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, inpatient and outpatient treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health, all with individualized treatment programs.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center: Located in Lafayette Township, New Jersey, Sunrise House provides treatment for people suffering from substance abuse from a medical and holistic standpoint. With various evidence-based therapeutic interventions, personalized care is provided through detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, and outpatient services.
There are various treatment programs for individuals struggling with drug or alcohol addiction, so don’t give up if the first program you check out doesn’t meet your individual needs. There are rehabs near me that can provide the treatment you need. Check out the directory to find a list of facilities and programs. You can search by location and filter by Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance.
How to Verify BCBS of South Carolina Insurance Coverage of drug rehab centers?
There are a few ways to verify that your BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina insurance plan covers certain drug rehab centers. If you are interested in a specific rehab facility, you can reach out to them directly to provide your insurance information and find out your coverage options there. You can also call the number on the back of your insurance information card to speak with someone from BCBS of SC directly about your coverage.
AAC can also verify your insurance coverage for you in multiple ways. Our admissions team is available 24/7 to speak with you via text (sign up here) or the chat available on our website. We are also available 24/7 on our helpline at . Our representatives can check your benefits while on the phone with you. You can also use our online verification form found here. Just enter the requested information to verify your insurance coverage quickly online.
AAC has leading treatment centers across the nation providing quality treatment programs. Please reach out to us; we’d love to connect you to a facility that can help you on the road to recovery.