Cigna Ohio Insurance Coverage for Drug and Alcohol Rehab Treatment
Cigna Ohio: Rehab & Detox Centers in OH That Take Cigna Insurance
People with Cigna Ohio insurance who are considering entering an addiction treatment program should check with their insurance policy to see how much of their treatment may be covered. Having a solid understanding of your insurance coverage and how to maximize your benefits will help you or a loved one get the treatment you need.
With nearly 11.8 million people, Ohio is the 7th most populated state in the U.S. 1(top of page) The largest city in Ohio is Columbus, which is also the state capital. 2(top and bottom of page)
Ohio is known for attractions such as the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the Cedar Point Amusement Park, the National Museum of the United States Air Force, and the Pro Football Hall of Fame.3
In recent years, Ohio has experienced an increase in deaths caused by unintentional drug overdoses. In 2020, Ohio had 5,017 overdose deaths. 4(top of page) This was a 25% increase over 2019.4(top of page) Approximately 81% of Ohio overdose deaths in 2020 were related to the use of fentanyl or fentanyl-related substances.4(left column)
Does Cigna Ohio insurance cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab Centers?
If you or someone you know is in need of drug or alcohol rehab and have Cigna Ohio insurance, it is likely that some or all of the cost of substance abuse treatment will be covered by insurance.
Every policy is different, and the details of your coverage will depend on several factors. However, all insurance plans are required to provide coverage for certain services, including substance abuse treatment and mental health care. You can find the exact details of your insurance policy by logging in to your account on the Cigna member portal and searching for your benefits summary.5 (top of page)
You can also call the number on your insurance card to learn more about your benefits or contact an admissions navigator at American Addictions Centers (AAC). Our navigators are available by phone, chat, or email, or you can complete the insurance verification form on our website.
What is Cigna Ohio?
Cigna is a health insurance company based in Bloomfield, Connecticut.6 (footer) The company currently operates in more than 30 countries and has more than 190 million members. 6 (top of page) There are more than 265,000 mental and behavioral health care providers, 65,000 pharmacies, and 500 hospitals that are in-network with Cigna. 6 (under Our Connections)
What Substance Addiction Does Cigna OH Rehab Treatment Centers Cover?
When choosing a Cigna Ohio treatment center, be sure to ask if they offer treatment specifically for the substances for which you are seeking help. Some common substances that have addictive potential include alcohol, marijuana, hallucinogens, opioids, methamphetamines, and prescription drugs. 7 (what are substances?)
In addition to fentanyl, substances that have been related to overdose deaths in Ohio include natural and semi-synthetic opioids, heroin, cocaine, psychostimulants, and benzodiazepines.4 (page 2)
How Much Does Cigna Ohio Cover (Addiction Treatment)?
Because every Cigna Ohio Insurance plan is different, it’s a good idea to verify your insurance coverage before you enroll in an Ohio addiction treatment center. Some plans may have a deductible, which must first be paid by the member before the insurance plan will begin to cover costs.
The cost of your care, and how much is covered by your Cigna Ohio insurance plan, is in large part based on the type of program you enter. Some types of Ohio substance abuse treatment programs that may be available to you include:
- Inpatient or residential rehab refers to 24-hour care, usually in a non-hospital setting such as a rehab center. 8 (page 21) The length of an inpatient program may vary, but most people with a substance use disorder require at least 3 months of treatment. 8 (page 5) Some people may remain in a residential program for up to 12 months.8 (page 21) Along with individual and group therapy, inpatient programs often offer additional services such as career counseling or job training.8 (page 21)
- Outpatient rehab/therapy typically offers many of the same services found in inpatient programs but allows patients to receive treatment while living at home. Outpatient programs can vary widely in structure and intensity.8 (page 22) They are often recommended for patients who have a stable home life or who need to continue working during treatment. Outpatient treatment is typically less expensive than inpatient treatment, as it does not include the cost of room and board.
- Intensive outpatient programs (IOP). Intensive outpatient programs are a type of outpatient substance abuse treatment that is highly structured and provides more support than a regular outpatient program.9 (first paragraph) Patients in these programs can expect to spend at least 9 hours a week in treatment. These programs may become less intensive over time and are often used as a step down from a residential treatment program.9 (first paragraph)
- Partial hospitalization programs (PHP) are a type of structured substance abuse treatment program that may be recommended for people who need a higher level of care and medical supervision.10 (first paragraph) PHPs may consist of 20 hours of treatment per week for a period of 1 to 2 weeks and may include services such as individual and group therapy, medication, and case management.10 (2nd paragraph)
Does Cigna Ohio Insurance Cover Mental Health Care Treatment Facilities?
Mental health care is covered under Cigna Ohio insurance plans. In 2010, the Affordable Care Act (ACA) mandated that health insurance providers must include coverage for mental health care.11 (page 78) Your benefits for mental health care will depend on what is offered in your individual policy. Check with your insurance plan to find out how much you can expect to be covered.
Many people entering an Ohio drug or alcohol treatment program also meet the criteria for a mental health condition, such as depression, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), bipolar disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), anxiety, or schizophrenia.12 (top of page) Treating both disorders at the same time typically leads to better outcomes.12 (bottom of page)
How Long Does Cigna Ohio Insurance Cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab program?
When you receive authorization from your Cigna insurance plan to enter an Ohio drug or alcohol treatment program, the authorization will typically let you know how long your treatment is covered. If possible, it’s best to stay in treatment for the recommended length of time. The best outcomes are typically seen with longer treatment durations. 8 (page 5) If you are unsure what your Cigna Ohio plan will cover with regard to the length of treatment, be sure to contact the number on the back of your insurance card.
What if my Cigna Ohio policy does not cover an Inpatient drug rehab program?
If your Cigna Ohio insurance plan does not provide the coverage you need for an inpatient drug rehab program, you have other options. Many Ohio rehab facilities will work with you to help you get the care you need. Don’t let the cost of treatment dissuade you from entering a drug or alcohol rehab program; taking advantage of treatment as soon as you feel ready is critical for achieving a positive outcome.8 (page 5)
Many rehab facilities will offer services based on a sliding scale and will charge you based on your ability to pay. You may also be able to find a rehab facility that offers financial assistance and allows you to pay for your treatment over time. Finally, community organizations and local churches often offer rehab scholarships to people in need.
Cigna Ohio In Network vs. Out of Network Inpatient Drug Rehab Centers
You can help keep the cost of your drug rehab treatment down by choosing facilities and providers that are in-network with your Cigna Ohio insurance plan. In-network means that these healthcare providers have contracted with your insurance provider to charge a discounted rate. 13 (top of page) Even if you have to pay your deductible or other fees out of pocket, you will be billed at this discounted rate.
If you choose a facility that is not in network with your Cigna Ohio insurance plan, you may not be eligible for any discounts, and your treatment may not be covered.
How to find Cigna Ohio covered Inpatient drug treatment centers in OH?
Get the information you need to make an informed decision about your substance use treatment by contacting an admissions navigator at American Addiction Centers. Our specialists are available to verify your insurance benefits over the phone while you wait.
Our nationwide network of accredited rehab centers offers top-quality care in comfortable and peaceful environments so that you can focus on your recovery. Many of our facilities have outpatient and intensive outpatient programs and residential care so that you can receive the level of care you need. Facilities such as Oxford Treatment Center also offer gender-specific treatment tracks tailored for Veterans, pregnant women, and people experiencing co-occurring mental health disorders.
Cigna Approved Rehab Centers
American Addiction Centers (AAC) has various rehab facilities around the country that provide drug and alcohol addiction treatment. If you have a Cigna insurance plan, the following AAC facilities accept Cigna for drug and alcohol addiction rehab.
- AdCare Rhode Island: With various facilities located in Rhode Island, AdCare provides innovative, quality, and cost-efficient addiction treatment. Its integrated system of care offers an inpatient treatment center in North Kingstown and a network of outpatient offices throughout Rhode Island. AdCare’s continuum of care includes detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, inpatient and outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center: Located in Lafayette Township, New Jersey, Sunrise House provides treatment for people suffering from substance abuse from a medical and holistic standpoint. With various evidence-based therapeutic interventions, personalized care is provided through detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, and outpatient services.
There are various treatment programs for individuals struggling with drug or alcohol addiction, so don’t give up if the first program you check out doesn’t meet your individual needs. There are rehabs near me that can provide the treatment you need. Check out the directory to find a list of facilities and programs. You can search by location and filter by Cigna insurance.
- United States Census Bureau. (2023). S. and world population clock.
- United States Census Bureau. (2023). Ohio.
- S. News. (2022, April 14). 25 top things to do in Ohio.
- Ohio Department of Health. (2021). 2020 Ohio drug overdose data: General findings.
- Cigna.(n.d.). Qualified health plan (QHP) transparency in coverage.
- Cigna.(n.d.). Company profile.
- Cleveland Clinic. (2022, October 20). Substance use disorder (SUD).
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2014, January). Principles of drug addiction treatment: A research-based guide.
- Psychiatric Services. (2014, June 1). Substance abuse intensive outpatient programs: Assessing the evidence.
- National Library of Medicine. (2019, March 15). Alcohol treatment outcomes following discharge from a partial hospital program.
- United States House of Representatives. (2010, May 1). Compilation of Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
- Cigna.(n.d.). Substance use and mental health conditions.
- Cigna.(n.d.). In-network vs. out-of-network providers.
- Insurance Provider Name
- Policy Member's Full Name
- Policy Membership/Subscriber ID
Check your Cigna Ohio rehab coverage
American Addiction Centers' locations
Guides for other health insurance providers
- 1199SEIU Funds
- APS Healthcare
- Aetna Insurance
- Ambetter Insurance
- American Family Insurance
- Amerigroup Insurance
- Amerihealth Insurance
- Anthem BlueCross California
- Anthem Insurance
- Assurant Health Insurance
- Beacon Health
- Behavioral Healthcare
- Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Blue Shield of California
- Cigna Insurance
- Community Health Choice
- Cooks Children’s Health Plan
- Emblem Health
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Exclusive Care
- Federal Blue Cross Blue Shield
- First Care
- First Health
- Florida Blue (BCBS Florida)
- GEHA Health Plan
- Geisinger Health Plan
- Harvard Pilgrim
- Health Net
- Health Plan of Nevada
- Horizon BCBS
- Humana Health Insurance