Premera BCBS Alcohol and Drug Addiction Treatment Centers in AK, WA
Does Premera BCBS insurance cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab Centers?
Many people who struggle with substance use feel like they’re all alone in the battle. However, that’s far from the truth.
In 2018, the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) found that 14.8 million Americans struggled with alcohol use disorder, and 8.1 million Americans had at least one illicit drug use disorder.1, p. 37-38
If you are one of the millions who struggle with substance use, there’s help available — and even better, your health insurance plan may be able to pay some or all of the cost of treatment. If you have Premera BCBS insurance, your plan can help you afford the cost of rehab.
The amount of coverage you’ll get will vary depending on your specific Premera insurance plan. You can call the phone number on the back of the insurance card the get the details you need.
What is Premera BCBS?
Premera is a Blue Cross Blue Shield licensee that has been serving the states of Washington and Alaska for over 80 years.2, second paragraph They focus on healthcare partnerships that reduce costs, deliver quality care, and give a good customer experience.2, first bullet
Some of Premera’s benefits include savings on 90-day recurring prescriptions that are filled in the provider network, access to an online cost estimator for care, and remote medical care by phone, email, and video.2, second-fourth bullets
Premera is the largest health plan in the Pacific Northwest, covering more than 2.6 million members with health, life, vision, dental, and other coverages.3, second paragraph There are thousands of Premera Blue Cross Blue Shield providers, which means you should have a good selection of medical providers available for your needs.3, third paragraph
Does Premera BCBS cover rehab treatment? The Affordable Care Act (ACA) requires all long-term health insurance plans to provide at least some coverage for 10 essential health benefits, which include mental health and substance use treatment.4, fifth bullet
That means whether you are part of Premera BCBS of Alaska or have coverage in Washington State, you can rely on your health insurance plan to help you get the substance use treatment you need.
How Much Drug Treatment Does Premera BCBS Cover?
There’s no one-size-fits-all treatment plan that works for everyone who struggles with substance use. Instead, your doctor will work with you to set up a personalized plan that fits your needs. Your doctor will ask questions about what substances you use, how much and how long, what your use triggers are, and more.
There are a variety of treatment options available, but some of the most common include:5,6
- Inpatient Rehab. Inpatient care is a form of addiction treatment in which you live at the facility while receiving therapy. This type of care allows you to get away from your home environment and learn new ways to live without substance use.
- Outpatient Rehab. Outpatient treatment can help you get the help you need while continuing to live at home. You can attend therapy or counseling sessions a few hours a week and continue to work or go to school. Outpatient treatment can be a great starting point for treatment or a follow-up after inpatient treatment.
- Intensive Outpatient Programs (IOP). Intensive outpatient treatment is a step up from regular outpatient treatment, but still does not require you to live in a facility. Treatment includes counseling, educational programs, and medication management if required. The care is more focused than normal outpatient treatment.
- Partial Hospitalization Programs (PHP). A PHP is a full-time program where you still live at home on nights and weekends. You get intensive, high-level care without having to live at the facility. A PHP program will consist of a variety of therapies, including counseling, educational programs, and medication management if required. You attend treatment daily for several hours each day.
No matter which treatment is recommended for you, it’s important to fully complete the program. By making it through until graduation, you can give yourself the best possible chance of long-term success.
Does Premera BCBS Insurance Cover Mental Health Care Treatment Facilities?
Mental health is another often-taboo subject, but it’s also surprisingly common. Among those who struggle with substance use, 50% have a mental health diagnosis, which is known as a co-occurring disorder.7, second paragraph Common mental health concerns alongside substance use include post-tratumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety, depression, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), personality disorders, and more.7, second paragraph
It’s important to treat both your mental health and substance use together because this kind of integrated care has been shown to be more effective than treating only one or the other.8, first paragraph
Can your health insurance help you pay for mental health care? Yes, the ACA includes mental health treatment as part of the 10 required essential health benefits.4, fifth bullet You can use your Premera BCBS mental health coverage to get the care you need.
How Long Does Premera BCBS Insurance Cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab program?
How long is rehab? No single answer works for everyone, but studies have shown that it takes at least 90 days for most people to make a significant change in their substance use habits.9, fifth point That’s why most rehab programs are at least three months long.
The amount of time your Premera BCBS drug rehab coverage will pay for will vary depending on your insurance plan, so be sure to get the details before you commit to a treatment program. You can check Premera BCBS coverage by calling the phone number on the back of your insurance card or by contacting American Addiction Centers (AAC) anytime by phone or online.
Our admissions navigators can verify your insurance in just a few minutes as they chat with you and can also answer any questions you have about rehab.
Whether your treatment program is 90 days or longer, what’s important is to finish it. That will give you the best opportunity to live a happier, healthier, substance-free life.
What if my Premera BCBS policy does not cover an Inpatient drug rehab program?
As you review your Premera BCBS rehab coverage, you might find that your insurance will only pay part of the cost of treatment. Or, you might be most interested in a treatment center that’s not one of the covered Premera providers, so you will need to pay all of the costs yourself.
Don’t let that stop you from getting the treatment you need to break free from substance use. There are a lot of ways to pay for rehab, and insurance is only part of the picture. Some treatment centers have a sliding scale of fees based on your income, or you might be able to set up a payment plan to manage your out-of-pocket costs.
Some treatment centers offer scholarships, or you might be able to get a loan or borrow money from family and friends to pay for rehab. Once you’re free of substances and living a healthy, productive life, you’ll be in a much better position to manage your financial obligations.
The key is to get the help you need to break free from substance use right away—don’t put it off. Using substances has serious long-term health and legal consequences, and you want to get free before it’s too late.
Premera BCBS In-Network vs. Out of Network Inpatient Drug Rehab Centers
When you look at your plan details and various treatment options, you’ll see that some rehabs are part of the Premera BCBS rehabilitation centers network, and others are not. What do “in-network” and “out-of-network” mean?
All insurance plans have a specific group of medical providers who agree to treat plan members for a lower cost.10, p. 1 What’s a Provider Network These are the insurance plan’s provider network.10, p. 1 What’s a Provider Network
If you choose to get care at an in-network provider, you’ll get more coverage from the insurance plan and pay less yourself.10, p. 2, Why do some plans… However, many out-of-network providers get no coverage at all from the insurance plan, meaning you pay the full cost yourself.10, p. 2, Why do some plans…
To keep your costs lower and maximize your insurance coverage, focus on finding a Premera BCBS rehab center if possible. If not, don’t worry — there are other ways to pay for treatment, as we mentioned earlier.
Rehabs That Take Blue Cross Blue Shield Insurance
American Addiction Centers (AAC) has various rehab facilities around the country that provide drug and alcohol addiction treatment. If you have a Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance plan, the following AAC facilities accept Blue Cross Blue Shield for drug and alcohol addiction rehab.
- AdCare Rhode Island: With various facilities located in Rhode Island, AdCare provides innovative, quality, and cost-efficient addiction treatment. Its integrated system of care offers an inpatient treatment center in North Kingstown and a network of outpatient offices throughout Rhode Island. AdCare’s continuum of care includes detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, inpatient and outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Desert Hope Treatment Center: Located in Las Vegas, Nevada, Desert Hope provides individualized care programs as well as offering a full continuum of care including detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Greenhouse Treatment Center: Located in Grand Prairie, Texas, Greenhouse offers individualized treatment plans and many levels of care including detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, outpatient services, and tele-health, all in a luxurious setting with high-end amenities.
- Laguna Treatment Hospital: Located in Orange County, California, Laguna is a chemical dependency recovery hospital that focuses on treating people who are medically compromised and need 24/7 oversight. Provided care includes detox services, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment inpatient treatment, and intensive outpatient services.
- Oxford Treatment Center: Located in Etta, Mississippi, Oxford offers gender-specific rehab while offering an opportunity to connect with nature and try new activities. Provided care includes detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, inpatient and outpatient treatment, intensive outpatient services, and tele-health, all with individualized treatment programs.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center: Located in Lafayette Township, New Jersey, Sunrise House provides treatment for people suffering from substance abuse from a medical and holistic standpoint. With various evidence-based therapeutic interventions, personalized care is provided through detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, and outpatient services.
There are various treatment programs for individuals struggling with drug or alcohol addiction, so don’t give up if the first program you check out doesn’t meet your individual needs. There are rehabs near me that can provide the treatment you need. Check out the directory to find a list of facilities and programs. You can search by location and filter by Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance.
How to find Premera BCBS-covered Inpatient drug treatment centers?
Finding Premera BCBS rehab facilities can feel overwhelming, but we help make it easy. You can call the phone number on the back of your insurance card to learn more about what your plan covers or you can contact us anytime, 24/7.
We are happy to help you connect with treatment facilities that are part of your insurance network. We can also answer the questions you have about what to expect during treatment and afterward.
You deserve a life that’s happy, healthy, and free of substance use. To take the first step toward freedom, contact us today.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). (2019, August). Key substance use and mental health indicators in the United States: results from the 2018 national survey on drug use and health.
- Premera Blue Cross. (2022). The Premera difference.
- Premera Blue Cross. (2022). About us.
- Healthcare.gov. (n.d.). What Marketplace health insurance plans cover
- Findtreatment.gov. (2019, October). Treatment Options.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2014). Principles of Adolescent Substance Use Disorder Treatment: A Research-Based Guide: Treatment Settings.
- National Institute of Mental Health. (n.d.). Substance Use and Co-Occurring Mental Disorders.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2020, April). What are the treatments for comorbid substance use disorder and mental health conditions?
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2018, January). Principles of Effective Treatment.
- Marketplace.gov. (2021, May). What you should know about provider networks.
- Insurance Provider Name
- Policy Member's Full Name
- Policy Membership/Subscriber ID
Check your Premera BCBS Insurance rehab coverage
American Addiction Centers' locations
Guides for other health insurance providers
- 1199SEIU Funds
- APS Healthcare
- Aetna Insurance
- Ambetter Insurance
- American Family Insurance
- Amerigroup Insurance
- Amerihealth Insurance
- Anthem BlueCross California
- Anthem Insurance
- Assurant Health Insurance
- Beacon Health
- Behavioral Healthcare
- Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Blue Shield of California
- Cigna Insurance
- Community Health Choice
- Cooks Children’s Health Plan
- Emblem Health
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Exclusive Care
- Federal Blue Cross Blue Shield
- First Care
- First Health
- Florida Blue (BCBS Florida)
- GEHA Health Plan
- Geisinger Health Plan
- Harvard Pilgrim
- Health Net
- Health Plan of Nevada
- Horizon BCBS
- Humana Health Insurance