Cigna Maryland Insurance Coverage for Drug and Alcohol Rehab
Cigna Maryland: Rehab & Detox Centers in MD That Take Cigna Insurance
Maryland is home to just over 6 million people, making it the 18th most populous state in the nation.1 (population growth rates) Maryland’s population grows by at least 7% each decade, and it is the most diverse state on the East Coast. 1 (population growth rates) The largest city in Maryland is Baltimore, with a population of approximately 585,000. 1 (cities table) Maryland’s capital, Annapolis, has a population of just over 40,000. 1 (cities table)
Like many states in the U.S., Maryland has been hit by the opioid crisis. Since the beginning of the opioid epidemic, Maryland saw an increase in unintentional overdose deaths every year until 2019.2 (page 4, first paragraph) Although deaths related to drug and alcohol use decreased in 2019, the following year saw a 16.6% increase in fatal overdoses, presumably due to factors caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, such as economic hardship and social isolation.2 (page 4, first and 2nd paragraphs) Nationally, drug-related fatalities increased 22.8% in the 12-month period ending July 2020 and continued to increase across the country as the pandemic continued.2 (page 4, 3rd paragraph)
Does Cigna Maryland insurance cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab Centers?
If you have Cigna Maryland insurance, you can expect your insurance plan to cover some or all of your treatment for drug rehab or services from substance abuse providers. Insurance companies are required to provide members with a summary of their coverage and benefits; you can find this information by logging in to the Cigna member portal.3 (top of page)
Every insurance policy is different, so it’s important to understand exactly what is covered under your individual plan. Your plan may include coverage for inpatient and outpatient drug rehab, follow-up services, coaching and support programs, and other resources.4 (middle of page)
To find out exactly what is covered under your Cigna Maryland insurance policy, you can call the number on the back of your insurance card. You can also contact an admissions navigator at .
What is Cigna Maryland?
Cigna is an American healthcare company based in Bloomfield, Connecticut.5 (footer) Cigna provides insurance services to more than 190 million customers in more than 30 countries.5 (top of page) The company’s network includes more than 65,000 contracted pharmacies, over 500 hospitals, and more than 265,000 mental and behavioral health care providers. 5 (under Our Connections)
What Substance Addiction Does Cigna MD Rehab Treatment Centers Cover?
MD drug rehabilitation programs typically offer treatment for dependence on and misuse of a wide variety of substances. Your treatment program will work with you to create a customized treatment plan that addresses your needs, whether you are experiencing misuse of alcohol, illicit drugs, or other substances.
Some of the most common substances involved in substance use disorders include alcohol, cocaine, heroin, methamphetamines, opioids, and prescription drugs. 6 (second section) Other drugs commonly used in Maryland include marijuana, cocaine, heroin, and methamphetamines.7 (page 1)
How Much Does Cigna Maryland Cover (Addiction Treatment)?
Because every insurance plan is different, it’s best to check your individual policy before enrolling in a Cigna Maryland rehab center. Depending on the type of treatment program you choose and the details of your individual Cigna insurance policy, you may have to cover some costs out of pocket.
Also, be aware that enrollment in a Cigna Maryland rehab center may require prior authorization in order for your insurance policy to cover the cost. This means that you will undergo an initial assessment by the facility staff, and they will work with your insurance plan to determine the best level of care and treatment plan for you.8 (footnote)
The following are some of the different types of Cigna Maryland substance abuse programs that may be available to you:
- Inpatient or residential rehab involves living at the rehab facility for the duration of treatment. It may last 28 days or longer and typically involves multiple forms of therapy, including family therapy.8 (inpatient care)
- Outpatient rehab can take many different forms. It typically costs less than inpatient rehab because patients continue living at home during treatment. Outpatient care typically includes many of the same services offered through inpatient care, such as individual therapy. It is not recommended for people who need medically supervised detox.8 (outpatient care)
- Intensive outpatient programs (IOPs) are highly structured outpatient programs that involve frequent visits to the treatment facility. Treatment may last 3 to 4 hours a day, for 3 to 5 days a week. These are often recommended for people who need flexible treatment that will allow them to continue working. 8 (outpatient care)
- Partial hospitalization programs (PHP) are structured treatment programs that may be required if a patient is in need of additional care after completing another treatment program. PHPs may consist of treatment that lasts several hours a day, for 5 to 7 days per week. 8 (outpatient care)
Does Cigna Maryland Insurance Cover Mental Health Care Treatment Facilities?
Yes, Cigna Maryland insurance covers mental health care. The Affordable Care Act (ACA) made it a law that health insurance plans must cover certain services, which include mental health services and treatment for substance use disorders. 9 (page 78) The exact amount covered for these services will depend on the specifics of your individual Cigna insurance plan.
Many people with substance use disorder also experience some form of mental illness, such as depression, bipolar disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).10 (top of page) When someone has both substance use disorder and a mental health disorder, this is known as a dual diagnosis, or co-occurring disorder. Treatment must address both conditions at the same time to lead to a positive outcome. 10 (top of page)
How Long Does Cigna Maryland Insurance Cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab program?
The length of time with which your Cigna Maryland insurance plan will cover treatment depends on several factors, including the type of treatment program you enroll in and the determination made during your initial assessment. You can call the number on your insurance plan at any time for more information on what exactly is covered under your individual policy.
It’s best to remain in treatment for as long as your healthcare provider recommends. Research shows that most people with a substance use disorder require at least 3 months in a treatment program and that the best results are experienced with longer treatment durations.11 (page 5)
What if my Cigna Maryland policy does not cover an Inpatient drug rehab program?
If your Cigna Maryland policy does not cover an inpatient drug rehab program, you have other options. Don’t let the cost of treatment deter you from seeking the care you need. The earlier you seek treatment, the better your chances of a positive outcome. 11 (page 5)
Many Maryland rehabilitation centers will offer services on a sliding scale. This means you will be charged based on your ability to pay. You may also be able to take advantage of payment options that allow you to pay for your treatment over time.
You can also look for scholarships to help cover the cost of your substance abuse treatment. Check with local churches and community organizations. The staff at your treatment facility may know of other scholarship opportunities in your area.
Cigna Maryland In Network vs. Out of Network Inpatient Drug Rehab Centers
When evaluating Cigna Maryland rehab centers, it’s best to choose a facility that is in your insurance network. Providers who are in-network have agreed to charge a discounted rate to members of your insurance plan.12 (top of page) If you choose a doctor or a facility that is out-of-network, you will likely have to pay the full price, and your insurance plan may not cover as much.
When you are looking at potential facilities for treatment, it’s a good idea to ask if they are in network with your insurance. They will be able to verify your insurance benefits and quickly give you an answer. Also, remember that some doctors who work at a facility may be in-network, while others may not. Always ask before you see a new provider.
How to find Cigna Maryland covered Inpatient drug treatment centers in MD?
The admissions navigators at AAC can verify your insurance coverage for you and help you find a treatment program that meets your unique needs. Contact our helpline at or complete the insurance verification form on our website. We can verify your insurance information quickly while you wait so that you have the information you need to make an informed decision regarding your treatment.
Our nationwide network of top-quality addiction programs consists of facilities that have earned the highest industry accreditation available and are staffed by industry experts. We offer leading treatment centers in Maryland and throughout the East Coast, such as Sunrise House Treatment Center in New Jersey, which offers treatment for co-occurring disorders as well as medically supervised detox.
Cigna Approved Rehab Centers
American Addiction Centers (AAC) has various rehab facilities around the country that provide drug and alcohol addiction treatment. If you have a Cigna insurance plan, the following AAC facilities accept Cigna for drug and alcohol addiction rehab.
- AdCare Rhode Island: With various facilities located in Rhode Island, AdCare provides innovative, quality, and cost-efficient addiction treatment. Its integrated system of care offers an inpatient treatment center in North Kingstown and a network of outpatient offices throughout Rhode Island. AdCare’s continuum of care includes detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, inpatient and outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center: Located in Lafayette Township, New Jersey, Sunrise House provides treatment for people suffering from substance abuse from a medical and holistic standpoint. With various evidence-based therapeutic interventions, personalized care is provided through detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, and outpatient services.
There are various treatment programs for individuals struggling with drug or alcohol addiction, so don’t give up if the first program you check out doesn’t meet your individual needs. There are rehabs near me that can provide the treatment you need. Check out the directory to find a list of facilities and programs. You can search by location and filter by Cigna insurance.
- Maryland Manual On-Line. (2022, September 1). Maryland at a glance.
- Maryland Opioid Operational Command Center. (2021, April 13). 2020 annual report.
- Cigna.(n.d.). Qualified health plan (QHP) transparency in coverage.
- Cigna.(n.d.). Mental health and substance use benefits.
- Cigna.(n.d.). Company profile.
- Cleveland Clinic. (2022, October 20). Substance use disorder (SUD).
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (2020). Maryland – National Survey on Drug Use and Health: 2019-2020 state-specific tables of model-based estimates.
- Cigna.(n.d.). Treatment for substance use disorders.
- United States House of Representatives. (2010, May 1). Compilation of Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
- Cigna.(n.d.). Substance use and mental health conditions.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2014, January). Principles of drug addiction treatment: A research-based guide.
- Cigna.(n.d.). In-network vs. out-of-network providers.
- Insurance Provider Name
- Policy Member's Full Name
- Policy Membership/Subscriber ID
Check your Cigna Maryland rehab coverage
American Addiction Centers' locations
Guides for other health insurance providers
- 1199SEIU Funds
- APS Healthcare
- Aetna Insurance
- Ambetter Insurance
- American Family Insurance
- Amerigroup Insurance
- Amerihealth Insurance
- Anthem BlueCross California
- Anthem Insurance
- Assurant Health Insurance
- Beacon Health
- Behavioral Healthcare
- Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Blue Shield of California
- Cigna Insurance
- Community Health Choice
- Cooks Children’s Health Plan
- Emblem Health
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Exclusive Care
- Federal Blue Cross Blue Shield
- First Care
- First Health
- Florida Blue (BCBS Florida)
- GEHA Health Plan
- Geisinger Health Plan
- Harvard Pilgrim
- Health Net
- Health Plan of Nevada
- Horizon BCBS
- Humana Health Insurance